aberdeen-music

FMA'07 - Most metal of Metal

The Ghost Of Fudge

Guest Kilgore Trout
It is derrived from 'rinky dink' pop band (a hilarious reference to My Mind's Weapon or MIND MY weapon as Scorge fantastically came up with) from people who apparently never resort to immature name-calling i.e. Jake and Scorge.

Of course Scorge is a very funny person, although never quite funny enough to get threads closed or posts removed....

Urban Dictionary: scorge

scroge.jpg

i like that picture. it's a bit racist though.

Then again, it's more comforting to think it's jealousy-motivated, rather than people seeing through you for what you really are.

What HE really is? Both you and Ben were into "...And Justice For All" by Metallica etc nearly 20 years ago. These days, ben is in a band playing similar to music to what he was into 2 decades ago - and certainly wouldn't deny those roots. Yet you have abandoned any sort of 'commercial music' that you used to be into because you're all about anti-corporation and CDR's from eastern europe. Scorge was waxing lyrical about power metal about a year or 2 ago when he was in with the ascension guys and his maiden cover band. Yet now he is all about the poorly recorded dribble that you feed him, because his old friends hate him these days and he is friends with you instead.

But keep on throwing those stones at the kettle, Mr Lives-in-a-glass-teapot.

Then stop throwing a pissy fit every time you get the mickey taken. I shudder to think what you'd do if you ever got a poor review in the music mags.

We HAVE had poor reviews in music magazines though. You know what we thought? "Fuck it, not everyone is gonna like or 'get' our band". So we move on, content with the fact that the good reviews substantially out-weigh the bad.

We got a pretty crap review in metal hammer for our most recent CD, yet we got a great review from Terrorizer magazine for the release before, even though that CD was nowhere near as good. People are always gonna have different opinions, and you never know if a reviewer who doesn't know you from adam is going to be into what you do. Like this guy for example: RoomThirteen.com - Where Music Rocks

Basically my thoughts on the whole "my minds weapon" situation are....

Ben and Dan you should both be beaming with pride at the praise, critical acclaim and attention your band is recieving at the moment. I'd be massively proud in your situation and hope to get there someday even. But what I do object to is bitchy and snide remarks made to members of aberdeen-music who are trying to keep you level headed and on the ground as no doubt it can be quite an ego increasing experience having record companies "sign" you.

That's not to say you guys are big headed however. I've never once seen a post from either of you rubbing it in other bands faces because of the hype you've gained, but the tone of your posts is what really gets me. Sometimes you can lose the point of what people are trying to get at and can jump to the conclusion that an abdnmusic member is immediately bashing your band, I mean i've even recieved it myself when i was trying to compliment you guys.

It obviously annoying for you guys to hear maxi bitch and whine and moan at you, but you guys aren't the only ones to get it eh maxi!? but you've just gotta take it all with a pinch of salt and chill because at the end of the day, if you guys are gaining the hype you say you are, you'll never have to deal with maxi or the likes again.

kapeesh?

element106 to win though....

Basically my thoughts on the whole "my minds weapon" situation are....

Ben and Dan you should both be beaming with pride at the praise, critical acclaim and attention your band is recieving at the moment. I'd be massively proud in your situation and hope to get there someday even. But what I do object to is bitchy and snide remarks made to members of aberdeen-music who are trying to keep you level headed and on the ground as no doubt it can be quite an ego increasing experience having record companies "sign" you.

That's not to say you guys are big headed however. I've never once seen a post from either of you rubbing it in other bands faces because of the hype you've gained, but the tone of your posts is what really gets me. Sometimes you can lose the point of what people are trying to get at and can jump to the conclusion that an abdnmusic member is immediately bashing your band, I mean i've even recieved it myself when i was trying to compliment you guys.

It obviously annoying for you guys to hear maxi bitch and whine and moan at you, but you guys aren't the only ones to get it eh maxi!? but you've just gotta take it all with a pinch of salt and chill because at the end of the day, if you guys are gaining the hype you say you are, you'll never have to deal with maxi or the likes again.

kapeesh?

element106 to win though....

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha :laughing:

I nearly shat myself with laughter.

• Upvote 1

Guest Kilgore Trout

waking the dead is on in a bit, do you think MMW have a better guitar sound than Booooooooyd?

i don't know. anyhow all metal is ding. full stop.

teabags has a good tennis court though.

everyone vote for the idiots, pass it on....

Guest Kilgore Trout

boooooyd!

waking the dead is great, it's about 25% better than listening to Spike Pile Driver or My Minds weapon!

nazi's

Boyd shouting!

Tara Fitzgerald naked!

brilliant.

"Rinky" could not dispute the above notes.

I'm getting unbelievably sick of this. It's all pathetic, and frankly embarrassing to read. Any more of this Weapon/Spike pish will be deleted. Just stop it please, or none of you will be posting anything.

Oh come on big guy...you gotta admit it is pretty funny though. Brightens the place up and increases the hit count huh?

When people talk about this site they never go "Yes, it was a delightful and informative discussion about the merits of *insert some arty wanky pretentious post post college but before uni rock band here* latest album! It's ALWAYS "woah, it kicked off today!" So don't kid yourself that no-one wants to see what goes on in threads like this and other similar ones. I'd say well over half of the people on this site get off on watching this stuff unfold and who am I to dissapoint...after all, I am an entertainer. :D

:up:

Oh come on big guy...you gotta admit it is pretty funny though. Brightens the place up and increases the hit count huh?

When people talk about this site they never go "Yes, it was a delightful and informative discussion about the merits of *insert some arty wanky pretentious post post college but before uni rock band here* latest album! It's ALWAYS "woah, it kicked off today!" So don't kid yourself that no-one wants to see what goes on in threads like this and other similar ones. I'd say well over half of the people on this site get off on watching this stuff unfold and who am I to dissapoint...after all, I am an entertainer. :D

:up:

Thing is, I'm all up for a bit of 'lively' debate, after all this is a 'discussion' forum, not an 'agreement' forum. But I didn't say I object to this feud, I said I'm getting sick of it. It's not contentious, it's boring...

I really don't think it's a good example of the kind of discourse that can happen here, especially now when this site is getting a fair bit of outside interest thanks to the nme and many other sites quoting the Bloc Party thread. Any newcomers who have a browse round and come across any of the recent mmw/spike input are just going to think "Bunch of kids endlessly swapping playground insults, same as any other small town" and go somewhere else. But if they were to see you explaining how to go on tour, promote hell out of yourself and get a record deal, maybe arguing your case ferociously if necessary against the bedroom guitarist doubters, then that's an advert right there. They're going to think maybe there is something worthwhile going on round here and pay more attention. That's got to be good for everyone.

i see what your saying frosty but this site has been built on a number of mindless petty but entertaining to read spats between bands over the years!!!!

Yeah but they didn't last for years! The point is, this particular spat is getting pretty old and a lot of people (not just the staff) are fed up reading about it.

Yeah but they didn't last for years! The point is, this particular spat is getting pretty old and a lot of people (not just the staff) are fed up reading about it.

i do see that side of the argument as well - as usual i is sitting on the old fence!

hmmmm i dont know what yuo are on about, what my minds weapon do is pretty irrelevant to me, i havent seen muchmoaning and whinging abotu them by me

ah well i'm misinformed then.

Why can't everyone just let bygones be bygones anywho? ?(

Ive totally forgotten what the whole arguments about because ive lost so much interest.

But if they were to see you explaining how to go on tour, promote hell out of yourself and get a record deal, maybe arguing your case ferociously if necessary against the bedroom guitarist doubters, then that's an advert right there. They're going to think maybe there is something worthwhile going on round here and pay more attention. That's got to be good for everyone.

In most of these "discussions", I generally try and start out by defending our band in a civil manner (see most of my posts in this thread as an example), but as you well know it always ends up going down the same old path. And anytime anyone has a mis-informed or unnecessary dig at mmw, as much as I'd love to be able to leave it alone, I can't. There is a massive difference between constructive criticism and pointless name-calling, and if someone is going to indulge in the latter then I have no problem in resorting to it either - because as petty as that sounds, it at least amuses me getting to rip the piss out of someone who is clearly never going to see my point of view anyway, no matter how 'ferociously I argue my case'.

On a side note, I don't think MMw have played a fudge gig in a year, therefore making us unable to be in this poll in the first place. I sense that Fudge put us in there intentionally so this whole argument malarky would kick off...

Thanks for you post Austin, I realise that you are being honest and complimentary in parts, although if I could just pick you up on a couple of bits...:

I don't think Jake and Scorge's comments are an attempt at keeping us level headed though - more a vain and failing attempt to burst our bubble, so to speak. If anything, it has an INVERSE effect on that level, and is pretty much the only thing that makes us want to go on about any of our "achivements". We never bothered announcing (on Ab-music.com) stuff like Taste Of Chaos, our album deal, sikth guys mixing it etc., because certain people would take it wrongly and think we were being egotistical/gloating about it. And also, we knew those two would jump in with abuse that would end up turning the thread into one like this...

Furthermore, we don't need anyone to try and keep us level headed, because the more goals we do achieve, the more we realise how little we actually HAVE achieved in the grand scheme of things. We have good friends in massively high places compared to our own right now (Gallows/Enter Shikari/Flood of Red being just three examples) and that keeps us more grounded than anything, knowing how much work we really have to do before we're anything at all. Of course, we ARE proud of where we are sitting right now, and it feels rewarding, as well as exciting to see where we can go next. :)

[Out of interest, do you object to Scorge's bitchy and snide remarks? Or doesn't he count, because he has nothing to be proud of and therefore can't appear to be gloating?

I find it mildly amusing how I can make a couple of jibes towards him in a thread and recieve a critical appraisal on my behaviour, yet he can fill his posts with 99% abuse and no-one seems to really be overly bothered by it.]

Thanks for you post Austin, I realise that you are being honest and complimentary in parts, although if I could just pick you up on a couple of bits...:

I don't think Jake and Scorge's comments are an attempt at keeping us level headed though - more a vain and failing attempt to burst our bubble, so to speak. If anything, it has an INVERSE effect on that level, and is pretty much the only thing that makes us want to go on about any of our "achivements". We never bothered announcing (on Ab-music.com) stuff like Taste Of Chaos, our album deal, sikth guys mixing it etc., because certain people would take it wrongly and think we were being egotistical/gloating about it. And also, we knew those two would jump in with abuse that would end up turning the thread into one like this...

Furthermore, we don't need anyone to try and keep us level headed, because the more goals we do achieve, the more we realise how little we actually HAVE achieved in the grand scheme of things. We have good friends in massively high places compared to our own right now (Gallows/Enter Shikari/Flood of Red being just three examples) and that keeps us more grounded than anything, knowing how much work we really have to do before we're anything at all. Of course, we ARE proud of where we are sitting right now, and it feels rewarding, as well as exciting to see where we can go next. :)

[Out of interest, do you object to Scorge's bitchy and snide remarks? Or doesn't he count, because he has nothing to be proud of and therefore can't appear to be gloating?

I find it mildly amusing how I can make a couple of jibes towards him in a thread and recieve a critical appraisal on my behaviour, yet he can fill his posts with 99% abuse and no-one seems to really be overly bothered by it.]

At the end of the day, this discussion could be looked at from every angle until everyones blue in the face. Scorge's comments are the way he feels and should be taken with a pinch of salt and infact completely looked over because it shouldn't phase you.

I'm sick fed up of watching threads degenerate into bitchfests when this site has more to offer than that (although I may stoke the fire of these bitchfests sometimes). Good for you on your achievements etc, I for one will say I find your music quite appealing and original, however badly I may get "slated" for saying it.

I do object to you not announcing your achievements on aberdeen-music, because believe it or not there's probably a few people who'd like to know about them and the fact that a few negative comments will be made is nothing to worry about.

All the best in the future for you guys though.

I do object to you not announcing your achievements on aberdeen-music, because believe it or not there's probably a few people who'd like to know about them and the fact that a few negative comments will be made is nothing to worry about.

All the best in the future for you guys though.

It's not the negative comments, mate - it's the degeneration into the bitchfests (which you said yourself that you hate) that was the reason we didn't/don't post our news up here.

I guess in the near future we'll put up a news bulletin for those that are interested though. Cheers :up: