aberdeen-music

New gear 2007

The Milner

I love the playability of the neck and the tone of the guitar. Fender supply a 6 saddle bridge, which I immediately installed, and supply a guide to rewire it to standard.

There is a deluxe light ash tele of simliar value, but the neck is a different radius, and it has different pickups...

Ok I get where you are coming from...

I love the simplicity of the three saddle bridge and would have been only too happy to live with that...but its not my guitar sadly...ho-hum ... ;(

Digitech Jamman to keep track of riff ideas and work out songs, Boss RT-20 Rotary Speaker simulator for swirly Leslie sounds, Danelectro Backtalk reverse delay to help create some more "special defects" and a Boss LS-2 line selector to save on tap-dancing around my pedals.

Quite fancy a new amp this year as well - Currently have a 120w Line6 Spider II but I'm bored with it and fancy a proper valve amp instead. I've always had a notion for the AC-30 (I have a dinky little 15w Vox Pathfinder for home recording which is pretty sweet). Anyone road-tested the new Custom Classic series?

Thinking of getting one of these in two months time (providing I don't do something foolish like go on a holiday or get a girlfriend).

octamic_front.jpg

RME octamic D pre amp

or

222860.jpg

Mackie Onyx 800R pre amp

The Mackie has better pre amps so will probably go for it unless I get a particualrly good price for the RME.

Also want a stereo pair of condensors (probably get AKG C414 XLS as they are multipurpose). Going to be a good while before I can afford them though.

May invest in a Shure SM7b if I get into recording other people's bands and a valve pre amp to go with it.

Guest nature_1
Digitech Jamman to keep track of riff ideas and work out songs

would the jamman be any good in a live environment, you think? like if you were to record synth samples and use the jamman to play them back a'la backing track/sampler style?...

i just reeeeally don't want to get a synth player...

in other news, just got me an EHX Microsynth, an EHX small stone and a boss tremolo pedal.

the microsynth, along with my fuzz factory, is the best pedal ever.....

would the jamman be any good in a live environment, you think? like if you were to record synth samples and use the jamman to play them back a'la backing track/sampler style?...

i just reeeeally don't want to get a synth player...

in other news, just got me an EHX Microsynth, an EHX small stone and a boss tremolo pedal.

The microsynth, along with my fuzz factory, is the best pedal ever.....

The Microsynth is pretty cool - I have one of those too.:up:

As for the Jamman, yes you can use it live once you get the hang of stopping and starting your loops. I have used it with a prerecorded synth lick before but the timing has to be spot on, we ended up recording stick clicks and all sorts to help cue our drummer. You can also load samples onto it (like clips from films etc). If you're going to use it that way you can just plug it direct into the PA so its not going through any overdrive etc you have on your guitar amp.

If you buy one you should get hold of a piece of software called Loopertools which allows you to transfer your loops back and forth between PC and pedal so you can do all sorts of editing on them.

Guest DustyDeviada

The late great Chet Atkins used the Jam Man live on stage.

In fact, it inspired him to write and record a track called Jam Man, which won a Grammy, fact fans.

The late great Chet Atkins used the Jam Man live on stage.

In fact, it inspired him to write and record a track called Jam Man, which won a Grammy, fact fans.

Interesting info!

I find the Jam Man slightly less easy to loop with than the Headrush (the Headrush button is easier than the Jam Man pedal) but otherwise the Jam Man is great....I'm using it tonight when Mickel Mass play at Limousine Bull (will be looping guitar, psaltery, keyboard and i-pod samples all at the same time, using a mini mixer).

I need to get anew delay pedal though...as my Ibanez inputs are knacked, and my guyatone isn't as good, but will suffice for the moment.

I have an 8x10 in Dundee to go try out, but even if I do want it, I have no idea how will get it back up to Aberdeen. And with price tag of 900 it does need some thought.

xxx

find a way. wooosh! what a difference.

get a van ;)

going to retube my mesa soon, although rather than the overpriced (and chinese!) mesa valves, im going to go with jj 6l6

anyone on here use jjs? apparently they are great and have prolonged lifetime, yet half the price of mesas and the like

any stories?

find a way. wooosh! what a difference.

get a van ;)

going to retube my mesa soon, although rather than the overpriced (and chinese!) mesa valves, im going to go with jj 6l6

anyone on here use jjs? apparently they are great and have prolonged lifetime, yet half the price of mesas and the like

any stories?

I use JJ's in my Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber + Head and they sure are superb. Really lifted the tone of my amp and made a huge difference to the clarity of my sound.

I might replace the pre-amp tubes at some point... but I dunno when to do that

Guest DustyDeviada

Just to prove I'm not a gear snob, just bought myself one of these:

sq51bld.jpg

For those not in the know, it's a Squier 51, sort of a strat/tele hybrid with a coil tap at the bridge and a pickguard styled on the old P-Bass. A whole movement has developed dedicated to modding these guitars, pretty crazy:

THE SQUIER 51 MODDERS FORUM

Anyway, I wanted a cheaper guitar that I could leave lying about without having to worry about my baby boy knocking it over, I thought they looked badass in the yellow finish, and I'm going to have some fun modding it!

My current thoughts are TV Jones Magnatron at the bridge and Seymour Duncan Lil 59 at the neck. One thing's for sure, I'm going to end up spending more on pickups and hardware than on the guitar - cost me under 80!

I use JJ's in my Mesa Boogie .50 Caliber + Head and they sure are superb. Really lifted the tone of my amp and made a huge difference to the clarity of my sound.

nice one, cheers dude!

apparently the jjs sound excellent in 400+. was thinking about the svetlana 454 6l6s, but the jjs come in more favourable on price, and i do need 12 of them :(

im gonna wait about the pre amp valves an all

12??? Fucking hell. I managed to scam HotRox out of 2 of them. They were good on price.

Good luck, I'm sure it'll sound excellent. Oh aye, if you're in Dundee next Friday(27th) you can come along and hear the Boogie in action(shameless promo) as we're playing in the Balcony Bar.