aberdeen-music

New gear 2007

The Milner

I am not aware of any long term metal bands of professional quality using solid state amps. A few recently may have used line 6 or similar but they tend to either be of the over-produced variety or those with a very small production budget.

Admittedly, I once tried out a crate amp and was quite impressed. Used an Ibanez RG with stock V7/8 pickups. Not sure I would use this thing in a situation with an audience, by choice but it certainly isn't something to be laughed or smeered at.

this fills me with absolutely no confidence. the amount of metal bands i have seen with fizzy sound and no power is enough to make me weep

i really cant see how you manage to get something good out of that amp, the only thing in its favour (in my eyes) is the light and stick it in yer backpack thing. other than that it offers nothing for me. these days id rather not play a gig than play with a load of solid state amps.

SS amps would be better than nothing. I played many SS amps and they sound ok to get by with. Ok they ain't got 'mojo' but twanging on a unplugged Les Paul gets a boring after a while.

He sure did.

Although there seems to be a lot of mystery regarding when he was playing Tube amp and ...not.

Apparently he never used the Krank amp for Damageplans recording!o_O

Its weird, I didnt like his Damageplan tone its like the gain was too low, Vulgar was teetering on the edge regarding the amount of gain you can get away with. My fave tone was on Far Beyond Driven.

Anyway, scrapped the idea of a Yamaha, I have seen a Martin I really want.

Didn't dimebag use solid state Randall Warhead amps for years before switching to Krank (or something like that) later on his life?
He sure did

He sure didn't - Randall RG100ES on Cowboys, Far Beyond Driven, Trendkill and Reinventing The Steel. Randall Century 200 on Vulgar Display.

He only started to use the Warheads (along with the 100ES) on Reinventing The Steel tour.

As for Damageplan, it was recorded with Randalls. I reckon he must've taken the Furman PQ-3s/PQ-4s out of the chain, along with the MXR 6 band EQ aswell.

Then the gain must've been turned down lots.

He didn't use Krank for the recording though.

Also, for Damageplan's live sound - Randall usually. I've seen pics where he has the Krank heads on stage but they're dummies. Through the back it's the RG100ES heads he has running.

Only when Dime's sound guy was fired/left did he have to use the Krank - he just had to set it up like you would anywhere else, using the amp which is onstage.

:up:

Guest DustyDeviada
Either this one.. (If I can find one)

OMCXK2E.jpg

Its an X series Koa Martin.

That looks really cool. The only thing I would say though is I think those ones have the "satin" finish rather than a glossy finish. Personally I don't like the satin finishes, but plenty of people do. In any case, if you're buying mail order you might want to check out a guitar with a satin finish in Bruce Millers or R&B first just to make sure you like them.

In any case, if you're buying mail order you might want to check out a guitar with a satin finish in Bruce Millers or R&B first just to make sure you like them.

Do this and die Hog!

:laughing:

I like satin finished necks. Depends HOW glossy the body finish is when a natural finish. My Explorer is very glossy, but it's quite noice :)

DSC00037.jpg

:up:

SS amps would be better than nothing. I played many SS amps and they sound ok to get by with. Ok they ain't got 'mojo' but twanging on a unplugged Les Paul gets a boring after a while.

One of the very best guitar sounds I have ever heard was (a very young) Garry Moore playing with thin lizzy at Aberdeen students union in the late 70's, he was playing his Les Paul through an HH tranny amp, he pre amped it through an ancient valve echo unit and had no effect pedals at all, this went through a pair of sound city 4x12's loaded with the cheapest of cheap fane speakers....the sound was amazing....

G...

One of the very best guitar sounds I have ever heard was (a very young) Garry Moore playing with thin lizzy at Aberdeen students union in the late 70's, he was playing his Les Paul through an HH tranny amp, he pre amped it through an ancient valve echo unit and had no effect pedals at all, this went through a pair of sound city 4x12's loaded with the cheapest of cheap fane speakers....the sound was amazing....

G...

We are talking Gary Moore here though!

That guy could get a great sound out a plastic toy guitar hot-wired though on old Sanyo music centre!!!

this fills me with absolutely no confidence. the amount of metal bands i have seen with fizzy sound and no power is enough to make me weep

i really cant see how you manage to get something good out of that amp, the only thing in its favour (in my eyes) is the light and stick it in yer backpack thing. other than that it offers nothing for me. these days id rather not play a gig than play with a load of solid state amps.

Well, it's not my first choice of amp! But it'll do as my backup up, due to it's light weight and easy carrying around.

I can get a *usable* sound out of it, it's not amazing, but it'll get me through a gig.

When I use it as along with the Matamp in a wet/dry setup, the signal it's getting is from the FX loop, so it's using the Matamp's pre-amp section. It's basically a clean power amp then. It helps tighten up the sound, cos the Matamp has 4 output valves running full tilt - pretty saggy response.

I'm gonna pick up a second head at some point. Thinking about a 5150, or maybe one of the old Randall SS amps. Although the Laney GH50L is meant to be pretty awesome.

But this is my number #1 (along with the matching angled 2x12"):

Matamp.jpg

Guest DustyDeviada

G...

He could have been playing the famous "Peter Green" Les Paul, that thing would sound great through anything. Of course Mr Moore always sounds great, it just goes to prove that tone is really in the fingers.