aberdeen-music

top ten aberdeen bands

tobyb

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bob:

I think you're gonna discover that a band like Clive Ravensby just isn't going to appeal to many people. The music isn't cohesive enough. The majority of people still like songs with the "(verse chorus)x2 end" type structure. I saw them at Sonic Deth Monkey and didn't enjoy it. Were Dedalus playing that night?

yea that's fair enough but it'd be nice for people to give it a try. at least you gave it a try bob. people can complain all they want about the indie/art rock fans not going to punk gigs but it's the same the other way. i think we were playing, as it was the last sonic deth monkey.

Originally posted by *Craig_HexPen*:

the punk kids

art rock crowd

indie crowd

metal crowd

i dont really fit into any of these....does that me uncool?

like i said it was a generalisation. there's people that go to everything as well. i've seen most of the punk, metal and art rock bands in aberdeen just cause i like everything but i'd say the majority of people would fit neatly into one of those groups.

Originally posted by *Craig_HexPen*:

the punk kids

art rock crowd

indie crowd

metal crowd

i dont really fit into any of these....does that me uncool?

I dunno, but notice how all the other sections were referred to as a "crowd" whilst people who like punk were called "kids". I tell you, it's just another example of the art rock crowd belittling others...

just kidding.

Originally posted by *Amy*:

The Gloria Flaw (they're here now, right?)

Yes, we are based in Aberdeen now, thanks for the mention. Good to see an Upstarts fan as well. This thread has gone off in a bit of a tangent hasn't it? I like Pavement and Thrice. I will admit I like Pavement a lot more but i wouldn't turn my nose up at a Thrice fan.

Originally posted by Bob:

Kelman of Flight 19 is one of the holy trinity that moved to London for DRUM SCHOOL!

Also missed are Ross of X-Certs and James of My Decaying Leg.

3 dammed fine punk/rock drummers.

I'm gonna bomb that fucking school.....Ross would have been another great drummer to lure to the dark side.....at least then no one would need to learn any new names...

Originally posted by betamax:

Ian sir

you could also note:

''a very rare day when a band from Aberdeen actually gets of its arse and wins over real audiences versus impressing mates in the local scene and message bored cliques''

but seriously (ish) a top ten of the Aberdeen bands who in my opinion could cut it in the real world (away from the safety of the scene) are:

The Cuts

XS Relocat

The Famous Prostitute

Sidca

Spike Pile Driver

erm, its not ten is it....

Mr Betamax, I think you have just explained how shallow the Aberdeen audience can be!!!!! well done!:cheers:

Spike won a recent Fudge poll for " who do you want to see play May the 8th" but we dont actually get asked to play! Its one big joke...why? because we dont "fit in" pfft!

Guest valley69
Originally posted by Tam o' Shantie:

now i'm not taking the piss out of art rock bands, i haven't heard dedalus, the cuts or politik and i think masamune are really good. but yeah, there is this sort of cult in aberdeen pissing me off right now championing these bands and fuck all else,

tom cuts arent an art rock band.

Originally posted by psydoll:

I spotted you and watched amused as I knew who you were from your sig pic :D

really?

Then you'd have seen the sheer fear in my eyes as I sipped 'vodka + power up' in a sultry manner... hypnotised but the brutes.

Yes....

Originally posted by Plato the Greek:

YES! YES! I....know....who....you.....are!

You are DEFINITELY NOT a man, that much has finally been established beyond ALL doubt. I saw you kick a Diuretic.

Questions:

1) There were about four other peole there sporting red-ish hats of various types - are you in some kind of gang?

2) Is the legend true? Are you from Ythanbank?

1) No...they just copy my hip ways... did you see me oozing hips? yes... they love me with the passion of a thousand pimps.

2) It is true... though I dwell within city walls now... but yes for many a year I lived in the charming hamlet known as 'Ythanbank'

PS: I'd kick him again.

Originally posted by Emperor Bokassa I:

Definitely from Ythanbank. Being from Methlick I can sense these things.

Yes...

We are soaked in that stench that originates from the cattle around us.

Tis true... for I am like you.

... can I be an honourary brute for this?

Guest RomanChoke

Last night me and my friend went camping and we shot a pony. Since we were hungry we really needed something to eat, even somebodies pet. After we managed to splinter the stupid animals rib cage and place it side on in the no mercy 2000 celcius heat of the fire it took a further 2 hours of turning this beast round on the wood fashioned spike we made. The mother and daughter were a little distraught as the scoured the woods for their missing Pony but as soon as they could smell grandma's special recipe humming from their greatly loved family pet they were not too bothered about tucking into little Princess sizzling on an open stove.

Now thats an aroma from Potterton which I think beat any hum from Ythanbank

Originally posted by RomanChoke:

Last night me and my friend went camping and we shot a pony. Since we were hungry we really needed something to eat, even somebodies pet. After we managed to splinter the stupid animals rib cage and place it side on in the no mercy 2000 celcius heat of the fire it took a further 2 hours of turning this beast round on the wood fashioned spike we made. The mother and daughter were a little distraught as the scoured the woods for their missing Pony but as soon as they could smell grandma's special recipe humming from their greatly loved family pet they were not too bothered about tucking into little Princess sizzling on an open stove.

Now thats an aroma from Potterton which I think beat any hum from Ythanbank

That's because Ythanbank smells of retirement... and cattle... retired cattle.

Yes... no burnt cattle... we'll have no disturbances in the sleepy hamlet of Ythanbank... oh no.

Originally posted by Lester Burnham:

Yes...

We are soaked in that stench that originates from the cattle around us.

Tis true... for I am like you.

... can I be an honourary brute for this?

I dunno- true, all the Brutes were discovered in Ellon and its surrounding areas. I am a lifelong city-dweller, but then I suppose I would be King Liar rather than a Brute. But more to the point, simply possessing Ellon heritage doesn't in itself entitle one to Brutedom, honourary or otherwise. Some further credentials would have to be presented as evidence. In fact, I would say that the four Brutes are Brutes in spite of their Ellon affiliation, rather than because of it. They are all ashamed of their Ellon past.

Originally posted by Project S.A.M.:

I dunno- true, all the Brutes were discovered in Ellon and its surrounding areas. I am a lifelong city-dweller, but then I suppose I would be King Liar rather than a Brute. But more to the point, simply possessing Ellon heritage doesn't in itself entitle one to Brutedom, honourary or otherwise. Some further credentials would have to be presented as evidence. In fact, I would say that the four Brutes are Brutes in spite of their Ellon affiliation, rather than because of it. They are all ashamed of their Ellon past.

I spit at the very word, for it is not my true past... I come from a place far away... further than you may be able to conceive... What are these credentials? For I am curious...

Guest sludge

ok heres mine.......

no order

turning 13

hot mangu

black atom

contra

king liar and the brutes

the gloria flaw

diablo

the x certs

the hexagonal pensioners

orwell

sirius and my decaying leg would of been in there..

Ive got eleven. Sorry if they are pretty obvious but these are the bands I enjoy in Aberdeen (shockingly in no order):

Black Atom

The x-certs

The Gloria Flaw

Turning 13

Alyssa's Wish

Hot Mangu

Orwell

My Minds Weapon

We Become Less

Funktastic Four (if theyre still on the go)

Loaded