aberdeen-music

top ten aberdeen bands

tobyb

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Bob:

I disagree. I don't think many bands need the "safety" of the scene, whatever that is. It might come as a shock to you but an audience from Texas is no more real than an audience from Torry. Well done for going out there and doing it, but it doesn't mean you have to look down your nose at what's happening on your front doorstep.

I also don't see what makes those bands worthy of singling out, although there are a few good ones in there... It seems to me you picked out the bands you liked the same as I did.

I picked out those bands because I think they are capable of impressing and winning over a bigger audience outside Aberdeen....where to be honest I dont think they get the credit or audiences they would get in a more forward looking city

The main reason I rate the bands is cos they are all doing their own thing, not neccessarily my type of music, but I know that there are people out there who would be blown away by the originality of said pop groups (are Sidca a pop group?)

I reckon this lot are way better than the supposed top Scottish talent the we went to the states with (mentions no names for fear of weegie hardmen on crack coming round with machetes) and Ive been saying to that to stacks of people including promoters and stuff.........telling em all the Deen is where its at basically.....cos all of those bands are better than 90% of the independant acts I saw in the states or elsewhere....... is THAT actually looking down me nose at whats on our doorstep???

As for audiences in Torry, they are great. Plus the beer is cheap and the poundstretcher fashion sense of the local ladies is quite stunning.

Originally posted by betamax:

Ian sir

you could also note:

''a very rare day when a band from Aberdeen actually gets of its arse and wins over real audiences versus impressing mates in the local scene and message bored cliques''

Right enough, I did do Driveblind yesterday as well.

;)

*brain wakes up again *

Cuts... yes I almost forgot abouit Cuts... I like them I do.

And yes, Mr Officer, I've been pestering Al to find out when Masamune are appearing next... I await it with a bloody mallet and sheer joy.

Originally posted by Sky:

Blasphemy! The supported Ladytron in the Lemon Tree last year and, my God, they were bad. They come across like a slightly poorer version of Adult. circa Anxiety Always (which is pretty poor in itself).

Good locals bands would include (in no particular order):

- Cuts

- Starfall

- Bench

- Rootdown

Thats at the same gig I decided they were awesome 'cos they sang about Tetris.

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram

My fav local bands based on who I've seen and liked:

Screaming Nebraska

Sidca

Hookers Green No.1

Dedalus

Lady Mercedes

The Needles

Black Atom

Risactonia

Kitchen Cynics

best and most original new band i've seen recently are aka the fox, hard to describe but they use drum programmes and a saxaphone to maximum advantage.

strobbing goat are also worth a mention, one guitar, one vocal and lots of machines.

cuts continue to improve since they are still reletively new

dedalus too are pretty darn fantastic

spike pile driver, sidca, maple, xs relocat, kitchen cyncis and real shocks are all worthy of attention as well.

aye thats 10, at least me fried brain can still count.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

dunno. people are just listing art rock/ punk bands mainly, then saying they are doing something really special and unique. there are about 5 promenant bands in aberdeen playing this style. Is this just about your favourite 10 bands? what definition of 'best' are we going for here?

Originally posted by Sky:

If you like bands the sing about Tetris, then you should check out 8bitpeoples (especially Nullsleep and Trash80) and Bit Shifter; rather than merely singing about Tetris, they use Gameboys to make music their music. It's all rather fantastic, in a very kitschy, nostalgic-for-my-youth kind of a way.

But Motormark really do suck...

Neat, I'll check them out.

*adds*

Screaming Nebraska... yes I do like them... Making my list

King Liar and the Brutes

Screaming Nebraska

Cuts

Hookers Green no.1

Masamune

Politik

Deadloss Superstar

Stacatto Set

We Become Less

Dedalus

*goes back to check earlier list*

edit: Yes, that's now my 10.

The Needles last show was v.dissapointing in my opinion, though I have seen them play some blinders, of which were fantastic.

Psycho a go go were good back in their day too, but I'm sticking to bands that are still together in some form.

Runners up list: Turning 13, and I can't comment on MMW yet as I have yet to see them, though I believe they are playing this friday??? Or so I'm told.

Originally posted by Hog:

my edited version (I have had time to think)

E106

Spike

Sidca

Data Thieves

Aprexia

The No Pints

Bonesaw

Stacatto set

Loaded

Hexagonal Pensioners

Karloff

(in nae order ken)

Having not heard Vomitus I cant comment, The above bands are bands I have actually seen. Im sure there are many more ace bands that I havent yet heard:cheers:

i know your probebly taking the piss but cheers man

Originally posted by RomanChoke:

Thats very polite but don't you mean Don't like listening to all that often because what you've written implies you just haven't heard them all too often?

No no I mean what I said polite? or not? For example The X-Certs and Quik I have seen both bands quite a few times each...The X-Certs 4 times and Quik probably 7/8. I enjoyed their sets but I didn't go to hear them. I also mentioned Gilman St. and that makes three bands with quite a bit of punk in them and that isn't a genre I listen to yet I still think those bands are good at doing it.