aberdeen-music

top ten aberdeen bands

tobyb

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate everybody... just some less than others.

I'm not fantastically qualified to comment on most Aberdeen bands, having not seen them. All I'll say is the actual 'scene' you have is completely disproportionate to the size of your little fishing village, and for that you should be proud.

I've just come back from a fortnight down South, and have visited Lincoln, Nottingham, Oxford, Cambridge and Leeds on my travels. You have more live venues, more bands, more of a buzz (and let's not forget 'Go North') than any of these, and on paper this really shouldn't be the case. However, if you add up all the things in Aberdeen's favour, it puts the place on a par with Manchester, a city with a vast musical heritage and a lot of clout internationally.

Now I could go into the sociological reasons for all of this but you don't really need to know why you are where you are, just make the most of it. most places the size of Aberdeen have a dozen bands, eleven of whom ape the prevailing trend and one that sticks out like a sore thumb. Now what you have is a massive number of bands that are doing something ordinary, and more than enough bands that are railing against that in some way to make it an 'anti-scene' within the city. This is when you get something really special, as both sides of the divide spark creatively from the tension and booooom! I saw it happen in Liverpool ten years ago, some great bands from both sides spurring each other on, and now fantastic bands coming from there (Coral, Zutons, Ladytron et al) that are both populist and artskool at the same time due to two scenes pollenating each other.

Think of 'Go North' as a superbee from Africa, pollenating at four times the speed Lay back, show of your blooms and let it happen!

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

to be honest i think you have written alot of bands off without seeing them....

Correct. Theres no way Ill see all the bands in town. So Im obviously generalising to simplify things. Ive only seen summat like 25 aberdeen bands in the past 12 months but Ive to listened to at least 30 local CDs/Demos so that kinda represents a cross section of what the sound of Aberdeen...erm....sounds like.

And is maybe enough to draw the simple McFly meets NON McFly parallel, cos thats the impression that comes across.

Dosen't make it a bad scene though.

I love Sidca.

Guest Satyam Shivam Sundaram
Originally posted by Ben Quik:

...but you have to admit that the kid that likes pavement will always look down on the kid who likes say err Thrice...there is an elitism there and that was my main and VALID point!

And perhaps vice versa... ah, but what about the person who likes both bands?

Originally posted by betamax:

Correct. Theres no way Ill see all the bands in town. So Im obviously generalising to simplify things. Ive only seen summat like 25 aberdeen bands in the past 12 months but Ive to listened to at least 30 local CDs/Demos so that kinda represents a cross section of what the sound of Aberdeen...erm....sounds like.

And is maybe enough to draw the simple McFly meets NON McFly parallel, cos thats the impression that comes across.

Dosen't make it a bad scene though.

I love Sidca.

I don't love Sidca... but thats just me.

As for writing off local bands.... I've seen around 40, own around 30 demo's (some of which include ones I havent seen live) plus local compliation including yet more that I havent seen live... so I think I can do a decent cross section... maybe I wouldn't quote McFly... I'd be slightly kinder and say Good Charlotte/Blink 182/random pop punk band... (though that may not be kinder through elite eyes, they play their instruments so shhhh). Then the bands who dont sound like Good Charlotte/Blink 182 and random pop punk band.

The originality argument... Originality doesnt always make you good but I have respect for bands that pull it off, I love hearing a band then sitting ina puzzled mess and thinking, "who do they sound like?" and no other band instantly comes to mind. Any band who pull that off have my respect.

There are a many bands in Aberdeen who are actually quite good and a lot of the gigs that I really remember and that stand out have been by local bands at Drakes or Drummonds or Lava/Kef/Glow etc.

I do not think that originality is all important when it comes to music but I generally will be more immediately impressed by a band if they are unusual or have something which stands out as being unique (as far as anything can be unique nowadays), but this is not always the case.

Some bands/acts from Aberdeen I enjoy are:

Vomitus

The Needles

Vegas

Bill Ely

Broken Sunshine

(The?) Cuts

Diabetics

Asian Morrisette

Also, there are many bands I would like to see but haven't yet, including: Femora (Sludge!), Radio Lucifer (Christ Robinson's new gang), and of course The Real Shocks - (I still have no idea what they are but I want to find out, and I damn well will).

Originally posted by Plato the Greek:

Also, there are many bands I would like to see but haven't yet, including: Femora (Sludge!), Radio Lucifer (Christ Robinson's new gang), and of course The Real Shocks - (I still have no idea what they are but I want to find out, and I damn well will).

heres a sample of shockness...its live and a bit fucked up soundwise but you should get the general idea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/air/sessions.shtml

i like the last song

also

http://realshocks.com

Im only being helpful cos you are a Brute

and of course The Real Shocks - (I still have no idea what they are but I want to find out, and I damn well will).

What betamax said... though I sound drunk and scary on the last 2 tracks... I couldnt hear myself through the monitor... :(

but the other 4 are decent enough.

:D

Originally posted by betamax:

heres a sample of shockness...its live and a bit fucked up soundwise but you should get the general idea

http://www.bbc.co.uk/scotland/musicscotland/air/sessions.shtml

i like the last song

also

http://realshocks.com

Im only being helpful cos you are a Brute

This music sounds like it was made by brave Japanese robots in space. It is good. I will listen to it again. I like music.

Originally posted by Lawy Lawson:Attorney:

I'm kinda biased, and Sam worries me a little but King Liar and the Brutes are always fun.

Are WBL still active? They're good to rock out too.

I dunno how local "local" is, but Motormark are far too awesome.

And they were most fun last night and so would get added to my list :D

Originally posted by Emperor Bokassa I:

I don't think its a typo, coz his surname's Robertson not Robinson. It would seem to be a deliberate name reconfiguration in order to achieve humour.

Yes. Yes. Yes. For those in the know, the legend of CHRIST ROBINSON (this is the correct spelling) is a multi-layered and rich tapestry. He survives as an entirely separate entity from Chris Robertson.

This music sounds like it was made by brave Japanese robots in space. It is good. I will listen to it again. I like music.

We take great compliment to the mention of robots *wipes oily tear from eye*

I was there last night... watching the Brutes, twas so mighty I bought the CD.

I had a red berret and blonde pigtails... lord know if you spotted me.

:love: King Liar and the brutes :love:

Guest sludge

including: Femora (Sludge!), Radio Lucifer (Christ Robinson's new gang), and of course The Real Shocks - (I still have no idea what they are but I want to find out, and I damn well will).

well a perfect opportunity would be may 7th with deadloss and radio lucifer.......oh....... and FEMORA!

;)