aberdeen-music

top ten aberdeen bands

tobyb

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by betamax:

I picked out those bands because I think they are capable of impressing and winning over a bigger audience outside Aberdeen....where to be honest I dont think they get the credit or audiences they would get in a more forward looking city

Aberdeen is a small city, you're not likely to find large audiences for more obscure musical styles.

The main reason I rate the bands is cos they are all doing their own thing, not neccessarily my type of music, but I know that there are people out there who would be blown away by the originality of said pop groups (are Sidca a pop group?)

Hmm. But are they really original, or just rarities within the local scene? Cuts for instance, are a good band with yet more potential, but I wouldn't say they were particularly original. You can hear their influences quite clearly in their music. King Liar and The Brutes could find a bigger fanbase outside this city, but I'd say G's previous band PAGG had more potential on the international scene. As for Sidca.... no-one clears a room quicker.

I reckon this lot are way better than the supposed top Scottish talent the we went to the states with (mentions no names for fear of weegie hardmen on crack coming round with machetes) and Ive been saying to that to stacks of people including promoters and stuff.........telling em all the Deen is where its at basically.....cos all of those bands are better than 90% of the independant acts I saw in the states or elsewhere....... is THAT actually looking down me nose at whats on our doorstep???

Great, it's about time Aberdeen bands were given some of the notice they deserve.

I can concur.....while the Trash Can Sinatras are alright and I have been a huge fan of scottish music for years, but they were hardly a substitute for the tales of madness I heard from the Real Shocks about Aberdeen. Just remember........Nirvana came from another Aberdeen that was cold, a bit isolated, and about two hours from Seattle......me thinks things are alright there. That and it's Scotland....damn site better than this hot place..

Guest neil ex

aberdeen bands i dig

my fav aberdeen acts:

electric tibet

kitchen cynics

kathryn sawyers

sidca

bob's right though. there isn't anyone doing anything amazingly different in this town. some of the 'art rock' bands or whatever are just as original as a band like my mind's weapon. it's just alot of people that play that music think they're more original because they sound like sonic youth as opposed to nirvana.

Re: aberdeen bands i dig

Originally posted by neil ex:

bob's right though. there isn't anyone doing anything amazingly different in this town. the 'art rock' stuff or whatever today is just as original as a band like my mind's weapon.

could agree more. Just because nobody doin it in aberdeen doesnt make it original....prob been stated million times in this thread already but bleh so true

Guest tv tanned

Deadloss

We Become Less

10EW

The Needles

Jo McCafferty

Onion Terror (they were ace the first tiem I saw them, a bit ropey other times)

The Diuretics

The Staccato Set

Orwell (purely on their MP3s, yet to have the pleasure of a live performance)

Tijuana Switchblades

I have a feeling Radio Lucifer may join this list soon

Guest valley69

cheers betamax for your kind words regarding cuts. Anyway i cant think of 10 bands off the top of my head but turning 13, the needles and real shocks are bands i really enjoy watching.

i disagree about the originality things a little bit, just cos no one else in aberdeen is doing it does make it valid i think. what' sthe point in sounding like another band in aberdeen? okay on a larger scale it might not be that original but where does that madness end? oh there's a band in japan that sound like you so you're not original. i know i've exaggerated that a bit but you get the point. okay so in scotland you've got about 10 bands that sound like sonic youth, but in aberdeen alone you have ten bands playing pop punk. and i can only think of one aberdeen band off the top of my head that sounds like sonic youth, masamune. and for the record i think sidca are original and would be original wherever they go, i've never heard any other band that sounds like big black fronted by mark e smith with sludge breakdowns. and who still have songs that somehow get stuck in your head.

*wanders off whistling angel wings*

Guest highroller

who gives a flying fuck about originality....i mean really....how original are some of your fave bands...be honest...it seems that nowadays you have to sound like a bag of spanners falling down stairs or some lo-fi arty wank that is relevant to fuck all and is about as enjoyable to listen to as a cat being run over slowly by a steam roller an inch an hour......

Lets take MMW...ok so our influences are very of the now and influence a ton of other bands....so?? The importnat thing is that we HAVE put our own sound on it and added a bit of our own identity...thats all you need as long as you have good songs....you can have ten bands that all are doing metal core and one that sounds like say sonic youth crossed with dinosaur jr....that band will claim they are the more original...FUCK OFF!! The metal core bands might all have brought something more to the mix than just aping their influences whereas the "lo-fi" band may have not....you see??

Im fed up of all this snobbery..."oh you play in a band that is doing the popular sound at the moment"...yeah and?? These people are usually the ones that would love for the bands they love to be "hip" with the "kids" at the moment but because they aint...they moan about it...!

Originally posted by Ben Quik:

who gives a flying fuck about originality....i mean really....how original are some of your fave bands...be honest...it seems that nowadays you have to sound like a bag of spanners falling down stairs or some lo-fi arty wank that is relevant to fuck all and is about as enjoyable to listen to as a cat being run over slowly by a steam roller an inch an hour......

that's one of the stupidest things you've ever said. it's relevant to people who enjoy it, just cause you don't like it doesn't mean it's not relevant. and just cause it's lo-fi doesn't make it arty. climb down of your fucking high horse ben. i wasn't saying i listen to the most original bands or anything i was just addressing the points made about originality. and i never said being original meant being good either. sheesh.

Guest highroller

fair enough Dave....but you have to admit that the kid that likes pavement will always look down on the kid who likes say err Thrice...there is an elitism there and that was my main and VALID point!

i think that when theres 25 bands in Aberdeen that sound like McFly

and another 25 that DONT sound like McFly

there's an easy line to draw

the really good ones and the really shit ones

which ones are good and which ones are shit, depends entirely on which side of the line you are on, and if you like McFly

hence differing points of veiw

which is perfectly normal

people seem to be making things more complicated that they actually are? yes/no/delete?

Ben's point about it being difficult to be entirly original is a good one and I think that by putting your own stamp on something makes you original to a degree. I also agree with Dave that being original within the scene is valid as well. We would be mighty tired if there were alot generic punk bands playing the same sort of stuff. Look at Black Atom there's no hiding their influences but in the scene they are an original band...there's definatly two ways to look at it. I think we are lucky in Aberdeen that we have pretty diverse range of bands we can listen to.