aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I just finished reading "Things The Grandchildren Should Know" by Mark Everett. Absolutely loved it. Read it over 2 days which is fast for me as i don't read that much.

If anybody else has any musical related biography suggestions i'd like to hear 'em.

Yusss, absolutely fantastic. I don't think I know anyone who didn't barrel through it.

Again, nothing much better... the aforementioned Bob Dylan book is good, as is Innocent When You Dream, a collection of Tom Waits articles spanning the majority of his career. Also, Shots From the Hip by Charles Shaar Murray is a decent collection of articles.

I think you'll love it. Brooker's a genius.

I wouldn't go that far. Screenwipe is quality, but his Guardian articles are pretty boring in my opinion. You can pretty much tell what his attitude is going to be on any subject before reading it, which is always jocular disdain towards the modern world..

Fun for a while, but gets tiresome and is probably only fuelled by a few 'God he's so rite' types.

I wouldn't go that far. Screenwipe is quality, but his Guardian articles are pretty boring in my opinion. You can pretty much tell what his attitude is going to be on any subject before reading it, which is always jocular disdain towards the modern world..

Fun for a while, but gets tiresome and is probably only fuelled by a few 'God he's so rite' types.

Yes and no. I did find the book enjoyable as a light read (during my lunch break at work), but I did find his constant musings on 24 rather tedious. There was quite a few laugh out loud moments though.

I agree wholeheartedly.

I'm currently reading South Sea Tales by Robert Louis Stevenson.

My word! That post was sooooo true!!!1!!1

I've just not long finished Jonathan Safran Foer's "Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close". Had been meaning to read it for a while having read and loved "Everything is Illuminated" a good four years back. Would thoroughly recommend it; like "Everything is Illuminated" it has just the right measure of poignancy and offbeat humour and the narrative is stunning. :up:

Back to the safety blanket of Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy. Good stuff. Although I'm about to start So Long and Thanks For All the Fish which I don't like as much as the previous three. And don't even get me started on Mostly Harmless. I've had it sitting in my house for nearly 4 years and never been able to get past the 3rd chapter.

Today I read a German kids book about pirates. I say 'read', but it was always about the pictures for me.

Was it a good picture book?

I tried reading Albert Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus but it hurt my head a bit. Might have a break (give up for now) and read Milan Kundera - Immortality.

Was it a good picture book?

I tried reading Albert Camus - The Myth of Sisyphus but it hurt my head a bit. Might have a break (give up for now) and read Milan Kundera - Immortality.

Yeah, not bad. Plenty of stuff to look at and some fold outs too - under the deck and such. It proclaimed on thefront 'Kind wissen mehr', which translates as 'kids know more' - but I learnt little.

Discard Sisyphus.

Yeah, not bad. Plenty of stuff to look at and some fold outs too - under the deck and such. It proclaimed on thefront 'Kind wissen mehr', which translates as 'kids know more' - but I learnt little.

Discard Sisyphus.

Fold outs are cool...but really the pictures should explain the story. That's the whole point of picture books! It's for the kids who can't really read but like to pretend they can read...

I really liked the last book I read by Camus called The Outsider, but he went mad with this one I'm trying to read. Mad.

Maybe Philosophy isn't my thing.

I am about halfway through "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. It's shit, and all the way through it I've thought that it just reads like a second rate Stephen King, with ideas lifted entirely from Stephen King books, except with an even worse writing style than the King-meister himself. It reads like all King books - great horror ideas and brilliant imagination, but terribly written and corny as hell. Today, out of curiosity I looked him up on wikipedia - Joe Hill (writer) - Lo and behold! He's Stephen King's eldest son! Which explains the similar writing styles, and also how the lame fuck managed to get a book contract with this shit book.

I am about halfway through "Heart Shaped Box" by Joe Hill. It's shit, and all the way through it I've thought that it just reads like a second rate Stephen King, with ideas lifted entirely from Stephen King books, except with an even worse writing style than the King-meister himself. It reads like all King books - great horror ideas and brilliant imagination, but terribly written and corny as hell. Today, out of curiosity I looked him up on wikipedia - Joe Hill (writer) - Lo and behold! He's Stephen King's eldest son! Which explains the similar writing styles, and also how the lame fuck managed to get a book contract with this shit book.

Why has he stolen a Nirvana title? Bit unimaginative.

Why has he stolen a Nirvana title? Bit unimaginative.

That's the lamest thing about it, the main character is an aging rock star, and the author manages to fit in a reference to a band, or a singer, or a song on every page. It kinda reminds me of when people used to write essays in secondary school and they would squeeze in a reference to their favourite band. In this book the guy can't just turn on the radio without it being mentioned that a Nirvana track is playing, instead of just "he turned on the TV" it's "he turned on the TV, "March of the Pigs" by Nine Inch Nails was playing", anytime he picks up a guitar he has to mention he started strumming "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap" etc, it's so chock full of musical references it's a little embarrassing.

Stuck between a Rock and a Hard Place.

by Aron Ralston

This is a true Story about a mountaineer and Adventurer who, whilst doing a solo expedition, got his arm trapped under a falling boulder underground in a canyon in the middle of Utah (nowhere). With no-one aware of what has happened to him Aron is subjected to the Human Body's full mental spectrum as he endures a gruelling 5 days underneath this boulder, which include out-of-body experiances, inner sanctury and a meeting with his own unborn son!

After many deprivated hours the choice was clear, die by dehydration, or chop your arm off and hope to survive long enough to make a hospital. The choices made save his life. Very good book, filled not only with the accident itself but with death-defying trips from previous years - including being in an avalanche and being stalked by a hungry bear in hip deep snow!!

Highly Recommended if you like real-life adventure.