aberdeen-music

Your current read?

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I guess everything is dull compared to the shit you've seen though, huh?

I've experienced some pretty amazing and some pretty horrific things, it's all relative as to what you want out of life though. I can look back in years to come and say I've made a small difference to many peoples lives, whether it will be for the better or not remains to be seen !!!

just read 'the state of the art' by Iain M Banks. Good quality shit as always :up:

prefer his proper novels though, 'the state of..' is just a bunch of short stories....

It's quite a good collection and one I always go back to after reading one of his heavier duty sci-fi's.

Seriously, get your grubby little mits on Matter. Just published on hardback and a snip at 9.50 (if Waterstone's are still doing at half-price).

Still nothing beats Excession imo, Meatfuckers!!:up:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm halfway through "Ghostwritten" by David Mitchell (Cloud atlas)...

It's a great set of short stories that all link up in some way (previous characters influence or appear in the next story etc). Some fantastic ideas of naration, how the characters internalise and externalise their thoughts...the "mongolian" story is just ace..I won't spoil how the story is conveyed...

It was funny, I was reading the "Tokyo" story, thinking "this is a murakami knock off"...and I read this review online:

"...to a Japanese teen with a complicated family background who works in a record store. Satoru is a first-person narrator straight out of a Murakami Haruki novel. Since Mitchell's novel is an homage to the master throughout (the philosophizing, the characters, the interconnectedness of the world -- it's all very much like what Murakami does, except that Ghostwritten is perhaps more international in its settings), this is too close for comfort. He could have at least let the kid not sell jazz records. And, while it is a cute inside joke to give Satoru "a new Murakami translation of Fitzgerald's short stories", Mitchell might not have wanted to draw so much attention to the fact that he is basically copying the Japanese master. "

----

I've really enjoyed it so far, I can't see it being pish after the "second half"...so I'd reccomend it, some great descriptions, concepts and storylines.