aberdeen-music

World Cinema

Hog

Can you recommend me some World Cinema films? Im now signed up to a dvd deal (they post me dvds then I post them back)

I love stuff like- The beat that my heart skipped

Amelie

Irreversible

Falcon

Three colours Red/White/Blue

Man Bites Dog

Oldboy

Lilja-4-Ever

Fucking Amal

City Of God

Love Me If You Dare

Amores Perros

Nine Queens

Happiness of the Katakuris

Any Pedro Almodovar Stuff.

Das Experiment.

Most foreign releases on 'Tartan' and 'Optimum' are worth a look although they seem to be churning out heaps of generic 'Tartan Asia Extreme' stuff at the moment.

check this url for some inspiration http://www.channel4.com/film/filmontv/microsites/C/cinema_iran.html

"The Apple", "20 fingers" "a moment of innoncence" and "the circle" are all really engrossing and touching films, on a par with the three colours trilogy in terms of emtional content and pace, and I just enjoyed them even more for the fact that they show you some insight into contemporary Iranian society, something which is really difficult to find in the media over here. They are all the kind of films that you just lose all sense of time and become totally involved in the story.

Guest Phantomsmasher
Goodbye Lenin

I absolutely love that film ... a very interesting concept.

Unfortunately I can add no more to this thread, as my knowledge of foreign film is at best limited, and a lot of my favourites have already been mentioned.

p.s. I also second Lilja-4-Ever. An extremely harrowing film experience...

Guest bluesxman

Dobermann

Y Tu Mama Tambien

Betty Blue

Nikita

Bande A Part

Chungking Express

Aguirre Wrath Of God

Yojimbo

Brotherhood Of The Wolf

Lady Vengeance

And I'm selling a box set of Lukas Moodysson films for 20 quid which includes aforementioned Lilya 4 Ever and Fucking Amal (Show Me Love) plus Together and Hole In My Heart if anyone is interested! :up: All viewed once only....

'Ma Vie en Rose' is beautiful french film about a little boy who wants to be a girl, it's adorable.

'Innocence' looks rather good too but I haven't seen it yet because I refuse to pay over the odds just because it's foreign. French film again about a girls school in the middle of a wood, looks rather dark and sinister

la folie... pas du tout (he loves me, he loves me not)

with the gorgeos ms tautou is pretty good too...quite supprising...won't spoil it.

I'd agree that most of the things mentioned already are fantastic.

my faves,

la haine

man bites dog

oldboy

spirited away

brotherhood of the wolf

run lola run

cinema paradiso

...heaps min, a good story is a good story, in english or not.

Thanks for the suggestions. I really love world cinema, especially the films with decent stories. I dont dig the Tartan Asia bloodfest stuff because it is just trying to shock for the sake of it, however, I can see why people like that stuff.

Check out silverscreen in the st nicholas centre cos they've got a closing down sale' date=' fairly big world cinema selection and most of its 40% off. I managed to get Carandiru for fairly cheap and there were a few more I might go back in for[/quote']

About fucking time, that place was a total rip-off. Even with reductions on their world cinema bit the films will probably just be on par with 'net prices.

And I'm selling a box set of Lukas Moodysson films for 20 quid which includes aforementioned Lilya 4 Ever and Fucking Amal (Show Me Love) plus Together and Hole In My Heart if anyone is interested! :up: All viewed once only....

I'd suggest this box set as a bargain Hog-Purchase; bar Hole in My Heart the films are absolutely fantastic' date=' and an ace place to start with European Cinema.

I wouldn't shun away from all the tartan asia stuff as there are some good 'uns like Oldboy, Sympathy for Mr Vengance, Battle Royale, Infernal Affairs...

I'd also check the rating of films on [url']www.imdb.com before you purchase any expensive world cinema ones.