aberdeen-music

Stayover + MMW + Baby Karma + others

Cloud

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the constructive contribution there...

Fine - It sounded like you were trying to play music that was beyond your technical ability, especially drum-wise. At times it sounded like each member of the band was playing a different song.

The sound certainly didn't do you any favours, which was probably (at least partially) outwith your control, but to my ears it was just a wall of sludge that sped up and slowed down at irregular intervals. You also looked bored the majority of the time you spent onstage - every other band managed to inject a bit of energy into proceedings, but alot of the time you just looked uncomfortable, especially your singer (you?) when the guitars came in with another inaudible solo.

But hey, opinions are like arseholes, they're covered in shit....

Thanks for the constructive contribution there...
Fine - It sounded like you were trying to play music that was beyond your technical ability' date=' especially drum-wise. At times it sounded like each member of the band was playing a different song.

The sound certainly didn't do you any favours, which was probably (at least partially) outwith your control, but to my ears it was just a wall of sludge that sped up and slowed down at irregular intervals. You also looked bored the majority of the time you spent onstage - every other band managed to inject a bit of energy into proceedings, but alot of the time you just looked uncomfortable, especially your singer (you?) when the guitars came in with another inaudible solo.

But hey, opinions are like arseholes, they're covered in shit....[/quote']

i think the main part of the problem can be summed up by saying two words

- "Guitar Tone"

i could hear anything.. i mean... nothing! it was just psssshhhhhhhttttaaahhhhpsssshhhhdiddlediddlediddlepsssshhtt

its something that you have to work on at practise

you guys arent ready to play gigs (imho)

i missed the 1st two bands

but even a deaf guy would have been able to tell that weapon pissed all over everyone

:up:

(although it was a gig for charity.. so lets not get too carried away)

No melody' date=' you really are a clueless fuck. Do we sound like the type of band to have melodys? No vocal variation? How can a low as fuck growl and a high grind scream not be variation?

Like everyone knows you know shit all. If you dont like our genre or band then dont watch us.[/quote']

I used to think you guys were interesting for a local band, then..as I said, what happened? I quite enjoyed your set at the Moorings ages ago, but now, it's like "eh...?".

I think it's possible to enjoy *any* band provided they're good enough, regardless of genre. But you were absolutely rubbish and an insult to music.

In the future i would LOVE for you to say these things to my face instead of saying it on the net like the wee pussy you are.

And you had plenty of chances to.

:love:

Why, so you can throw the toys out of the pram once again? ;)

Get over it, it's feedback, your band is rubbish IN MY OPINION. If I know nothing, don't get upset over what I'm saying, eh? :)

Edit : what Jonny was saying about energy, Statue of Misery looked like they were having a ball on stage, you expect it from other bands, but to see them really enjoying what they were doing was cool :D

On the point about sayaing things to peoples faces which everyone keeps mentioning....

It just so happens that at this very gig I told most of the members of Statue Of Misery that their band was gash. But they're nice guys and just said "oh well".

Thats what people should be like. Statue of Misery are proper humans.

EDIT: Cloud, could you do me a favour and go to http://www.myspace.com/discordanceaxiss and listen to the song "Crastration Rite" for me. Dont do anything esle just listen to that song and tell me what you think. Thank you.

Well done Hog. You were hovering beside me with your money bin and i was going to put money in it but you left and then i thought it's cool i'll do it when i come back to see weapon(normally i'd stay but i had a heap of uni stuff to do) but i missed them in the end so pfft :(

Nice to see so many people there for a good cause. Think doing this again next year would be a good idea.

Sad to see that the thread started off nicely and just went to shit.

An interesting evening.......

Missed the first four bands because I went to Hog's Head (no, not his) to watch the Milan derby - awesome game of football despite the piss-poor referee.....

Got back for E106, don't know if it's the best I've seen them, but they were on their game.

Didn't bother with MMW, went for a chippy instead.

Thought we had a bit of an 'off' night, no particular reason why. Roll on next year..........

This is the first time i've posted on any of these forums for at least two years now, and to be honest, going by this thread i'm starting to remember why.

I turned up last night halfway through element 106 and was impressed. Not really into heavy music but when i arrived i was actually surprised, good drumming and a tight band.

My Minds Weapon were the reason i went to the gig. Hadn't seen them live before but heard some recording and was genuinely impressed. I thought they were absolutely awesome last night. Probably aided a bit by the fact they brought their own engineer but that in itself goes to show just what a professional outfit these boys actually are. Haven't seen ben perform since he drummed for quik and i was impressed with his ability as a singer and frontman. Great songs, harmonies and awesome guitar playing. Set for big things.

The less said about the final band the better. Absolutely terrible. Their positioning in the bill didn't do them any favours. It can never be encouraging for a band when a venue practically empties by the end of their first song. However they stuck with it. The thing that really gets me about these boys are that they are exactly the reason i got so pissed off with these forums in the first place. Shit band gets jealous of good band. Shit band then starts attempting to take the piss (although they would never dream of doing it in person) out of good band. Seriously lads what could you possibly hope to gain from that kind of talk. If anything you should be treating other bands with some respect and trying to learn something from each of them.

It's like they say, people in glass houses and all that. Seriously guys...

Y'know the thing i like the most about MMW is that they aren't just another "Plug in and Play" local band. You can tell that each member actually practises thier respective instruments and puts the effort into learning about their own equipment.

Putting the songs aside for the moment, I think that Weapon are perhaps one of the most professional bands in Aberdeen in terms of the way they present themselves and in the effort they put in. Sure, image isn't everything but presentation makes a hellofa difference. There is nothing worse than watching a band on stage who look like they are bored and lack passion. With Weapon, they are constantly moving and providing an energetic and entertaining show.

I have watched these guys since their first gig and seen the progression of the band and lately, I've been left wondering where the hell the "Local" band disappeared to...

Fair enough, not everyone in a band is working towards commercial success or whatever but I think alot of bands would enjoy every aspect of being in a band if they took it a little more seriously. Yeah, you can be in a band and play to all your mates but why stop there? I think that alot of bands in Aberdeen lack the motivation and drive to better themselves.

I think the fact that Weapon even considered bringing in an external sound engineers shows that they are thinking of every little thing when they play a gig which makes them stand head and shoulders above the rest.

Love the songs or hate them, it would do the people who want to venture outside of the 3 or 4 venue town of Aberdeen alot of good to take a leaf out of My Mind's Weapon's book.

And for the record, Weeping Jesus weren't that bad at all :)

Weapon even considered bringing in an external sound engineers

and it paid dividends for them, from what i can gather the rest of the bands sound was gash

word on the street is "weapon were a million times better than the rest of the line up" (various sources)

i enjoyed weeping jesus a lot though. boy on the left had a great guitar tone. bassist was ace, although im sure he would benefit from using his own amp. drummer was decent although i thought he did overcomplicate things sometimes.

is somebody going to ban cloud?

avoided forum for simple reason...about 75% of last 73 posts....i really enjoyed Sun despite being hungover to buggery and suspecting that there were gonna be egos abound...but u know wot {and i said this to a few of the other band members (who i genuinely enjoyed shooting the shit with)} fuck it.....we all doing stuff we are passionate about, we like music wotever genre and it's nice to see wot other folk are doing.....u might not like it but somebody will and do u really think that any of this shit is healthy for the scene??? anyone plugging in from further afield will think mmmmm Aberdeen scene.......nah !!! poseurs, wannabes and not very talented....yeah that'll get bands out-of-town gigs........nuffin' good to say, say nuffin'!!!!

here endeth the lesson

and element also playing a shorted set definitely benefitted them' date=' as them WJ and SoM are all similarish sounding!

I'm not sure if thats an acurate depiction Dan, sorry!! We have sounded better though!!:up:

haha, I didn't mean it quite as directly as I said it Chris! I was speaking in very general terms; i.e. all bands are very loud, very metal, tuned down guitars, not particularly melodic etc etc.

Also the 'short' set comment wasn't meant in a bad way. We (mmw) always play really short sets, as that way people that don't like us will be glad we fucked off, and people that do like us will want to hear more! :D

Didn't bother with MMW' date=' went for a chippy instead.[/quote']

ANOTHER one?

To be honest that probably wasn't the best decision of the night....