aberdeen-music

Stayover + MMW + Baby Karma + others

Cloud

Okay, a quick review of what I saw...

Baby Karma : Scarily good, not hugely keen on some of the songs, but Sweetest Smile, Strange as Fiction and Dancing On The Tables were loud, crashing and exciting. Hog and Dusty soloing for all it was worth during Dancing On The Tables was utterly fantastic too :)

Stayover : Ace as always. Misery sounds ace with keyboards, and the highlight of the night was a drunken leckie screaming the words to Misery in my ear..can still hear him :(

(I vanished at this point to go watch some of Tears of Grace at Drummonds)

Statue of Misery : oh dear oh dear...they're every bit as bad as they make themselves out to be. They tried, but well, they should go away for a few months and try and write a killer tune or two. Credit is given for the songs sounding like they had structure however, and credit also goes for knowing how to tune their instruments. However, not the worst band of the night..that honour goes to..

Weeping Jesus : Christ almighty, what happened? A previously allright local band have turned into the worst band i've ever seen in Aberdeen. Vocals consisted of well...a load of garbage, and the guitars and bass formed a muddy mess of well..nothing. The only highlight was that the drumming wasn't that bad, but the rest? please, for the love of god, go away and never darken a gig again. Truly the worst band I've ever had the pleasure of seeing in Aberdeen.

I had to go at this point to go home and get some sleep, except I woke up a few minutes ago and so that plan has backfired :(

Finally, well done Hog for managing to pull this all off. Also credible mentions to bands for playing this and raising money for a decent cause :)

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't see Stayover.

Statue of Misery were alright, nothing that inspiring though.

Weeping Jesus are probably pretty good at what they do, but what they do is something I just can't get.

E106 were OK, I've seen them way better though.

MMW were ace, stood head and shoulders over the other bands on the bill in terms of tightness, holding an audience and general ability.

Ascension were piss-poor, and emptied the building.

Good night though, I had a good time, kudos to Hog.

meh that was fun.

Baby karma were amazing i thought i really liked the set, "Alright" has to be one of the best pop songs i have heard in a long time, but then ive thought that for a while now :)

we had a lot of fun and a huge thanks to ritchie for coming up to do misery with us really made our night.

Statue of misery im afraid need some work, there are signs that this band could be good and they are awesome guys, but i just dont think you guys are quite up to it yet.

Weeping Jesus....well the second word says it all........but i am hugely biased against this kinda band so i guess im not really in the right place to say much. To me it was just white noise with a bit of tone every now and again.

Element 106 rocked the fucking place!! Not really my thing but they are a damm good metal band! The bass player gets me everytime he is amazing!

Weapon played the best i think ive seen them since before they went on tour, they looked so good and comfortable on stage, the opening is really kick ass as well.

Asecncion - im just not going to bother really, its not worth the three or four pages we will end up with when gregor gets upset about it all, oh and gregor ill give u a poster next time that way when you want to stare at me all night you can just sit in your room to do it :)

overall tho a fun night and it was all for a good cause so thats the main thing

Im not going to rate any of the bands. All I can say is that a lot of money has been raised for charity. Thank you for everyone who turned up and played.

Ok. I will rate element lol. Worst gig we have have ever played! lol, but near the end I just didnt give a shit, its a gig for fun.

Next year ( I think there will be a next year) will be more of a varied bill.

Thanks again to all the bands.

MMW are true gentlemen who couldnt do enough to help, thanks guys:up:

weeping jesus have a fucking shiteload of potential

grind/slugde/metal amogst other things, they reminded me of austalasia era pelican. fuckign ace!

bit sloppy and rough around the edges but, had a sound that pissed on most local bands.

cloud, were you actually listening?? is it because you dont liek that kind of music/have no clue about anythign that is not safe??

They're absolutely fucking rubbish, I watched them and thought "what in the hell...this is totally rubbish" - I mean, no fucking melody at all, absolutely fuck all vocal variation and an image that looked out of some spoof parody band.

Gah, just no, they were fucking dire. I've been force fed grind before and it sounded way better than that load of rubbish, about the only variation in the whole set came from the drummer.

If I had my way, they would've been rounded up round the back and shot, but...

Their sound, to me, was a complete fucking mess..

They're absolutely fucking rubbish' date=' I watched them and thought "what in the hell...this is totally rubbish" - I mean, no fucking melody at all, absolutely fuck all vocal variation and an image that looked out of some spoof parody band.

Gah, just no, they were fucking dire. I've been force fed grind before and it sounded way better than that load of rubbish, about the only variation in the whole set came from the drummer.

Their sound, to me, was a complete fucking mess..[/quote']

Given that this was quite a varied bill are Weeping Jesus the type of music you'd usually listen to?

Course not, but you can always appreciate a band that are good at what they do, i thought they were an absolutely shocking example of their genre - it just seemed terribly put together and done for the sake of it more than anything else.

it's like..hmm, what's a good example, i'm not overly keen on we shall be blessed's style of music, but i can appreciate them for being good at it, but weeping jesus just seemed like an awful band full stop.

Im not going to rate the bands either other than to say I will go see another element 106 show. for me them and Stayover shone above the rest. REALLY enjoyed Stayover last night.

Hog, well done mate...really well done. Great night, great atmosphere.

Thank you for asking us to be a part of it.

Well done to everyone involved, and all who turned up and checked out some stuff you might not normally as well. Thankks to the Wrecking crew for all being on the floor when we were on.

Extra special thanks to Neil who came along and did our sound. You rule.

Course not' date=' but you can always appreciate a band that are good at what they do, i thought they were an absolutely shocking example of their genre - it just seemed terribly put together and done for the sake of it more than anything else.

it's like..hmm, what's a good example, i'm not overly keen on we shall be blessed's style of music, but i can appreciate them for being good at it, but weeping jesus just seemed like an awful band full stop.[/quote']

see above

i thought weeping jesus sound was spot on. i heard, well, everything, apart form some of the gorwled vocals.

other than that, it was fucking decent old school punky grind.

Cloud, we all know you know piss all about grindcore, and generally, people that dont, can't make it out. Your opinion is like my mum saying "turn off that rubbish I can't even hear a word he's saying".

out of interest' date=' are you in this "Isylore Progressive Death Metal" band? or are they from out of town? sounds interesting... :)[/quote']

:D

Yes, we're a n00by local band, along the lines of Opeth, In Flames, Paradise Lost...

Check your PMs.

As for everyone else...come and see us.

(sorry, end of plug)

They're absolutely fucking rubbish' date=' I watched them and thought "what in the hell...this is totally rubbish" - I mean, no fucking melody at all, absolutely fuck all vocal variation and an image that looked out of some spoof parody band.

Their sound, to me, was a complete fucking mess..[/quote']

No melody, you really are a clueless fuck. Do we sound like the type of band to have melodys? No vocal variation? How can a low as fuck growl and a high grind scream not be variation?

Like everyone knows you know shit all. If you dont like our genre or band then dont watch us.

In the future i would LOVE for you to say these things to my face instead of saying it on the net like the wee pussy you are.

And you had plenty of chances to.

:love:

No melody' date=' you really are a clueless fuck. Do we sound like the type of band to have melodys? No vocal variation? How can a low as fuck growl and a high grind scream not be variation?

Like everyone knows you know shit all. If you dont like our genre or band then dont watch us.

In the future i would LOVE for you to say these things to my face instead of saying it on the net like the wee pussy you are.

:love:[/quote']

Out of interest dude, are you the bass player in weeping Jesus?

Guest DustyDeviada

Well, I thought it was a fun gig, obviously we were a fairly different style to most of the other stuff, but variety is the spice of life as they say.

Had to leave after Stayover, but enjoyed their set, the keyboards did indeed add a certain something to the sound. Damn shame Ritchie is based in Manchester now, he's a real asset to the Aberdeen music scene.

Well done to Hog, glad it made some money and lets see some pics ASAP!

taken from the Ascension forums:

Next gig is at the Tunnels on Sunday 11th December - all for CHARIDEE.

(Oh' date=' and we're playing with My Mind's Wankers, so make sure you stock up on the fruit, veg and top-drawer heckling.......) [/quote']

Is there no end to this man's maturity!

I didn't really notice any of the hecklers or the fruit & veg, so obviously even the ascension fans don't listen to him.

Guest DustyDeviada

Kind of funny how there were dozens of people there last night and the only people commenting are folk in bands... and Cloud. ;)

Come on real people! Let's have some real feedback!

No melody' date=' you really are a clueless fuck. Do we sound like the type of band to have melodys? No vocal variation? How can a low as fuck growl and a high grind scream not be variation?

:love:[/quote']

how brutally refreshing! :up: