aberdeen-music

Top 5 best and worst vocalists??

Larsen B

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bluesxman
BRIAN MOLKO: it just doesn't do it for me' date=' i think his singing voice is terrible. he sings like a girl who can't sing.[/quote']

I was highly amused to see him being interviewed and realise that he actually speaks in the same voice as he sings in

I think these are all great soulful vocalists:

Lennon

Aretha Franklin

Jagger

Marley

Dylan(Yep, even him)

Not so good IMO, they really annoy me for some reason:

The guy from Green Day

The guy from Mercury Rev

The Plonk from Coldplay

The guy from The Doves

Neil Young(which surprises me)

Best at the moment

Geoff Rickley - Thursday

Daniel Johns - Silverchair

Brandon Boyd - Incubus

Ben Gibbard - DCFC?Postal Service

Conor Oberst - Bright Eyes

honorary mentions to brian molko and jenny lewis and ben folds who all really should make that list

worst cant really think of just now.....but on embrace topic.......better with new wolves signing jackie mcnamara i think we all agree

Best:

Steve Hogarth (Marillion)

Freddie Mercury (amazed there hasnt been more mentions for him)

Fish (Clutching at Straws and Vigil era)

Midge Ure

Vessel (DD&HSW)

Bubbling Under: The guys from the Barenaked Ladies, Emma and Jo, Julie King, Dido, Tori Amos, loads...

Worst:

Fish (2001/2 era- still loved thestuff tho)

Justin Hawkins

Geoff Tate (Queensryche)

Neil Morse (Spock's Beard - kinda whiny voice)

Ian Hunter - Never a great singer but for some reason I love it)

Best

Jeff Buckley

Debbie Harry

Stephen Tyler

Danko Jones

Prince

Worst

Ian Brown

Liam Gallagher

Dido (sick of the breathy breathy method)

Joss Stone (soul doesn't come from Devon-she sounds like Kermit the Frog singing 'The Rainbow Connection', except Kermie's got more soul and 'The Rainbow Connection' is a better song than any of her tripe. Plus she's a filthy hippy who needs to put shoes on.)

Morrissey (who wants to listen to a grown man whinge?)

Ian Brown is a great vocalist, what is wrong with you people! Louise Vertigo and Beth Gibbons are also 2 of my favourite singers. Kool Keith and Busta Rhymes are my 2 favourite hiphop MC's.

Singers that I can't stand include Thom Yorke, the guy from the Cure, the Coldplay guy, any metal vocalist and the begees. Soundalike indie/punk singers are as bad as pop idol winners and boy/girl bands - both deserve no respect whatsoever.

Guest bluesxman
great singers:

thom yorke - radiohead

Jonsi Birgisson - sigur ros

Stephen Malkmus - pavement

Nick Drake

Frank Black - the pixies

Russel Mercer - the shins

Karen O - yeah yeah yeahs

Aidan Moffet - arab strap

Andy Broder -

"E" - eels

and many more...

Shit vocalists:

far too many for my liking

Much as I like Arab Strap, does it actually count as singing?

I'm not too fussed about the actual quality of the vocal, just the style in which it is delivered. Passion's what it's all about. Roger Daltrey has the greatest rock n roll voice that I've ever seen or likely ever to see. Aside from the records, the quality of his voice was mindblowing at the Isle Of Wight festival last year. Just listen to 'Who Are You'. The greatest opening vocal I've ever heard. Liam Gallagher's voice is great when he's on form, particularly on 'Live Forever'. Richard Ashcroft has got an amazing voice as well. I'm also a big fan of Ian Curtis' unimitable, quirky, style.

Ian Brown obviously can't hold a note, but that's old hat. He's Ian Brown. Legend. Danny McNamara's voice is also dreadful, as is that numpty from the Killers.

BEST

Jonsi - Sigur Ros (unique beautiful yet haunting at times)

Thom Yorke - Radiohead (great range and emotion is always a big presense)

Ryan Adams - Ryan Adams (and the cardinals) (great emotion and sounds nice)

Damien Rice - (even though he's now pretty much considered pop) (can feel the heart ache)

Antony - Antony and the johnsons (most unique voice i've heard in a long time. He's like a white gender confused Nina Simone just not Jazzy)

Tom Waits - Tom Waits (has a frequency that makes your tummy rumble)

Bjork - Bjork (after Medlla I'm conviced there's nothing she can't do)

That bird from Mum - Mum (sounds like a haunting child)

Main singer in Opeth - Opeth (talk a bout range. "I think for this part I'll sing nice and soft then a little light melodic part and then do a bid of extreme low pitch screaming. shit hot)

Y'man from bright eyes - Bright Eyes (Can't really sing but then that's what makes his voice a joy to listen to, and makes the emotion more aparant)

NOT SO FOND OF

That dude from Maroon Five - Maroon Five (I'm convinced him and Anastacia are the same person)

That dude from Matchbox 20 - Matchbox 20 (How long have you got?)

Joss Stone - Joss Stone ( You're love is super duper?! That phrase has to be a dumpable offence. If my girlfriend said that to me she'd get a slap across the face and a kick in the gooch... and I'd get away with it too. Glad there's other people around that don't like her, thought I was the the only one.)

Alex Ka... Kapr... Waz hiz face from Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand ( don't like thier tunes and don't like his voice very much. Heard he's a sound bloke though)

Stayley - Alice In Chains ( Now I love the band and thought his voice was cool at the time but now It just seems he's trying to put on a cool voice.)

Y'man from Bright Eyes - Bright Eyes ( For the same reason's he's a good singer)

I know I've named more thatn 5 each but It was a hard choice for me.