aberdeen-music

Ia Marmalde a jam?

Lemonade

Pete puts his scientist hat on.

Now, in order to determine whether Marmalade is jam, we must first define what we understand Jam to be.

According to the more learned sources, Jam is definited as "a sweet soft food made by cooking fruit with sugar to preserve it."

We must ask ourselves, does that definition work for Marmalade.

Is marmalade sweet?

Is marmalade soft?

Is it made from fruit?

Are those fruit cooked with sugar?

If the answer to any of these questions is No, then marmalade is not a jam. Conversely, if the answer to all of these questions is Yes, then marmalade is a jam under the definited terms mentions earlier.

and for my next feat of scientific brilliance, I will prove that black is white and get run over on a zebra crossing.

Pete

Pete puts his scientist hat on.

Now' date=' in order to determine whether Marmalade is jam, we must first define what we understand Jam to be.

According to the more learned sources, Jam is definited as "a sweet soft food made by cooking fruit with sugar to preserve it."

We must ask ourselves, does that definition work for Marmalade.

Is marmalade sweet?

Is marmalade soft?

Is it made from fruit?

Are those fruit cooked with sugar?

If the answer to any of these questions is No, then marmalade is not a jam. Conversely, if the answer to all of these questions is Yes, then marmalade is a jam under the definited terms mentions earlier.

and for my next feat of scientific brilliance, I will prove that black is white and get run over on a zebra crossing.

Pete[/quote']

Die.....

No, it's a curd.

Here's something I found earlier:

Dear Cecil:

This question has been keeping me up all night. What is the difference between jam, jelly, marmalade, preserves, and butter as in apple and peanut? Why don't we see any peanut jam or orange jelly? --Claudia Cipriani, Hackensack, New Jersey

Cecil replies:

You're going to sleep like a baby tonight, kid. Jelly is made from fruit juice and so has no fruit bits. Jam is made by boiling fruit and does have fruit bits. Preserves are basically the same as jam unless you buy them from Smucker's, in which case if it's got seeds in it it's preserves and if it doesn't it's jam. Marmalade typically is a citrus-based preserve, sometimes containing the rind, but other fruits can be used. Apple and peanut butter are called that because they bear a resemblance to dairy butter. But if you want to call it apple jam (as opposed to apple jelly, which is made from juice), fine by me.

CECIL ADAMS