aberdeen-music

What age should you forget about playing in bands?

i think it's more than just age you are thinking about at the moment. i have to say, i enjoy playing live a lot less than i did, say, three years ago. i am far more interested in writing music. maybe as you grow older, you become more critical of your work, strive more for originality, more for the edge in your music that inspired you to write music in the first place.

it's critical to enjoy your own music i think. that sounds simple, but if you think about it, how can you put passion into something that you've just thought "that'll do" about? i think it's critical to look in new directions also - i grew up on very much a guitar/heavy rock diet, but these days am rarely found listening to any music like that. personally i always find that my writing habits trail my listening list by quite some time, which is frustrating because you forever think you are doing something old and unoriginal.

if you are struggling to be happy with the music you are writing, perhaps you are forcing yourself in the wrong direction with your writing, just because it's what you think you "ought" to do?

as for age, it doesn't come into it for me - when i look at the young gods, i don't see a couple of old swiss cronies, i just see people making great thoughtful music.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't for the life of me see how someone's age has anything to do with their skills as a musician. It has bugger all to do with someone's acting ability' date=' painting skills or writing novels so why should it matter music wise?[/quote']

Artists and novelists don't have grumpy, ageing soundmen :D criticising them!!!

Imagine the scene...Van Gogh sets up his easel in the studio, and psychs himself up to transfer his tortured soul into dabs of paint, when the soundman sitting in the corner says "Could you move that canvas back a bit you ginger twat...it's feeding back!!! And while you're at it, chuck out those tubes of viridian,...they're too bright!!!!"

Artists and novelists don't have grumpy' date=' ageing soundmen :D criticising them!!!

Imagine the scene...Van Gogh sets up his easel in the studio, and psychs himself up to transfer his tortured soul into dabs of paint, when the soundman sitting in the corner says "Could you move that canvas back a bit you ginger twat...it's feeding back!!! And while you're at it, chuck out those tubes of viridian,...they're too bright!!!!"[/quote']

Some people are just too clever for there own good :laughing:

age?

Age has fuck all to do with it - you can die at any age - and if I die of a massive heart attack playing drums - GREAT - it's because I am old that I have the experience and ability to play extremely hard covers like The Ruts .

Now I'm 40 and still playing in 4 bands, and like Ian, must agree that it is little more than an expensive hobby, and FAME can fuck RIGHT off, who wants to be accosted every time they go out ? - it happens to me weekly and only cos people think I am Bez .

My best gigs include Dick Dale and Buddy Rich - both of whom were over 60.

Guest Zeenat Aman
Age has fuck all to do with it - you can die at any age - and if I die of a massive heart attack playing drums - GREAT - it's because I am old that I have the experience and ability to play extremely hard covers like The Ruts .

Now I'm 40 and still playing in 4 bands' date=' and like Ian, must agree that it is little more than an expensive hobby, and FAME can fuck RIGHT off, who wants to be accosted every time they go out ? - it happens to me weekly and only cos people think I am Bez .

My best gigs include Dick Dale and Buddy Rich - both of whom were over 60.[/quote']

Rat Scabies played drums for Donovan last night, he looks real old now, but Donovan looks about 40 something.

Now I'm 40 and still playing in 4 bands' date=' and like Ian, must agree that it is little more than an expensive hobby, and FAME can fuck RIGHT off, who wants to be accosted every time they go out ? - it happens to me weekly and only cos people think I am Bez .

My best gigs include Dick Dale and Buddy Rich - both of whom were over 60.[/quote']

Lets start a Ruts cover band then ;)

Dunno...guess I just long for my lost youth too much....

Cough

I ain't getting into this one, much. Been playing live more recently and got the hunger back! Hunger for playing that is. Creativity doesnt recognise an age thingy... Now where's my big slippers, tartan blanket and glass for my teeth!

I don't think I have 'ever' considered my age in relation to anything I do or wish to do! If you are worried about it at 23 then you need to take a hard look at yourself and what you want... I was 32 before it started slowly falling into place... And it has continued to change on an almost daily basis! Wouldn't change it at all. Might change a hip soon though...

Jim

If you're thinking of forgetting about playing in bands, then maybe you should forget about playing in bands...

don't see where age comes into it at all. Age is a number. It's all about whether your heart's in it, or not.

*sucks pipe*

*puts on slippers*

*practices 240 bpm double bass with flam paradiddles*

Artists and novelists don't have grumpy' date=' ageing soundmen :D criticising them!!!

Imagine the scene...Van Gogh sets up his easel in the studio, and psychs himself up to transfer his tortured soul into dabs of paint, when the soundman sitting in the corner says "Could you move that canvas back a bit you ginger twat...it's feeding back!!! And while you're at it, chuck out those tubes of viridian,...they're too bright!!!!"[/quote']

Those little marks at the bottom of your Zimmer frame, they're natural, metal crystallisation, nothing to do with me taking a hacksaw to them, so you're perfectly safe to go down the shops and get your weekly copy of the Sunday Post.

I guess it depends on whether you think your time has passed. For footballers its usually mid 30's to 40's, referees 50.(thank fuck in Hugh Dallas's case but personally I don't see why there should be an age limit for anything if you think you can still make an effect on whatever you are doing. If music is your life, then why retire before your time?.

Look at good old Philip James Johnston. Thirty this week and at his peak as a musical genious

:cheers:

Those little marks at the bottom of your Zimmer frame' date=' they're natural, metal crystallisation, nothing to do with me taking a hacksaw to them, so you're perfectly safe to go down the shops and get your weekly copy of the Sunday Post.[/quote']

If anything DOES perchance happen to me on my way for that esteemed organ, then I hope my friends on here will contact 'Help The (sabot)Aged'.

Heh' date=' might be a "controversial" one? What age do you think you're passed it for starting up a band, I don't care that Rolling Stones are 80 years old or whatever, they weren't when they started up. Do you think theres much of a demand for older bands starting up these days?

Personally, coming up for 23, I'm feeling passed it and should just let it die....anyone else think the same?[/quote']

that is one of the sadest posts I've ever read, you must be pissed off to want to "jack in music" at the age of 23...

if you love music that much, you should always want to play it...

it's not a "young persons game" making music, making music is people who love music, no matter what age.

I hope you feel better about it soon, I hope you do.

peep

Guest Jake Wifebeater

I'll soon be 30 in a few months and I don't see why I should stop playing the noisy stuff just because so many others stopped being into it and adopted an "I used to like noise but now I'm all big and clever and grown-up so I'll sneer at those who are still into it" type stance.

Fuck, what a ridiculously long sentence.

the uk is one of the only countries in the world where people care about age in music.

over the rest of europe...spain and italy in perticular have a high percentage of people in their charts over the age of 40.

as long as its good...age shouldnt be an issue.

Huh...

Are we all remembering that the thread was initally about the age at which you're forming bands?

Was it?! Ah well... I had forgotten by the third post coz of my advanced age. I'm off to get my loud patterned waistcoat and stick an advert up in Bruce Millers for a new covers band to play the Globe etc... Thats all I should expect now...

:down::finger: TIFUCK!!!!!!

(I think the points made still stand though)

Hey... At what age should you stop spiking your hair? :D:love: