aberdeen-music

What age should you forget about playing in bands?

Heh, might be a "controversial" one? What age do you think you're passed it for starting up a band, I don't care that Rolling Stones are 80 years old or whatever, they weren't when they started up. Do you think theres much of a demand for older bands starting up these days?

Personally, coming up for 23, I'm feeling passed it and should just let it die....anyone else think the same?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a tough one. Some old bands are just embarassing, however Andy Griswold from The Dangerfields is still in fine form at I think 31, and the Swellbellys were in their late 30s before they formed and are one of the best live punk bands in Scotland.

I'm also coming up for 23, and I have been in 'two minds' over this subject for a while now. Part of me wants to move on to something completely different, but would I regret this in the future? It's a bitch because I know how fun it is to be in a band, but sometimes I just can't be arsed. ?(

So I think I know where your coming from...

Guest bluesxman

Well i'm 33 and just joined one. Who gives a shit how old you are if that's what you want to do to enjoy yourself? I'm under no illusion that I am ever going to be in a band to get famous and make money but still enjoy playing music, even if i'm nae very good!!!

It's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to dismiss "older" people as being unable to start a band - and as for the "demand" bit - surely you start a band first and foremost for your own musical enjoyment, not to fulfill some perceived gap in the market. Possibly within certain genres, fans may look at older folk in bands as being past it - certainly it seems a bit silly for a 35 year old to be singing songs of teenage angst. However, musical talent undoubtably increases with age, practice and experience, so to write off people as being unable to start bands or play music over a certain age seems foolhardy.

I'm 35 and unable to play in a band at the moment due to the demands of my job and young daughter - once my circumstances change, I'll be hopefully back into the band saddle, as I miss it hugely. At the same time however, I won't be spending all my time and money on a band and I won't be travelling up and down the country in a stinking van (never again). I'll play for my own enjoyment (and hopefully that of the audience)

Anyway, what do you young pups know about bands, when I was a lad.......

Regards

Flossie

Age is irrelevant, quality of music is the main thing.

I have more problem going to gigs and feeling like the oldest person there ( im 31 ).

Music is there to be enjoyed and life doesn't end at 21 so why should your musical ambitions.

KEEP ON ROCKIN' IN THE FREE WORLD

Anyway' date=' what do you young pups know about bands, when I was a lad.......

Regards

Flossie[/quote']

Would you be the same Flossie that used to play for The Lorelei, if so when you were a lad, i had a flippin' good time watchin' ya :D

WENDY FRENZY INDEED!!!! :cheers:

I think age is irrelevant, although i know it may seem rich coming from an 18 year old, but if your good at what you do, then theres no reason why you cant play in a band at most ages. Furthermore, i think most younger people respect older musicians due to their greater experience.

It's a bit of a sweeping generalisation to dismiss "older" people as being unable to start a band - and as for the "demand" bit - surely you start a band first and foremost for your own musical enjoyment' date=' not to fulfill some perceived gap in the market. Possibly within certain genres, fans may look at older folk in bands as being past it - certainly it seems a bit silly for a 35 year old to be singing songs of teenage angst. However, musical talent undoubtably increases with age, practice and experience, so to write off people as being unable to start bands or play music over a certain age seems foolhardy.

I'm 35 and unable to play in a band at the moment due to the demands of my job and young daughter - once my circumstances change, I'll be hopefully back into the band saddle, as I miss it hugely. At the same time however, I won't be spending all my time and money on a band and I won't be travelling up and down the country in a stinking van (never again). I'll play for my own enjoyment (and hopefully that of the audience)

Anyway, what do you young pups know about bands, when I was a lad.......

Regards

Flossie[/quote']

Hmm...interesting points...however, by saying you won't be spending all your time and money on the band or travelling the country in the back of an MOT's nightmare...isn't that the fun bit about being in a band? My band has been pretty much stuck in the rehearsal room for the past year and a half, playing the low key local gig here and there, and it just doesn't excite me, its time I could be spending with my kids, painting my walls, cutting the grass....maybe its not age thats the problem, maybe its commitments? :)

By "demand" I don't mean on a huge scale....there are a lot of younger bands locally, usually playing the same music better, thus is there a need for the older boys to try and show them how its done when everyone is happy with the younger bands?

Personally, I really still want to push on...everything I've done musically lately has been a bit of a wasted effort, does age come into play or am I just a crap songwriter?! :D

Would you be the same Flossie that used to play for The Lorelei' date=' if so when you were a lad, i had a flippin' good time watchin' ya :D

[b']WENDY FRENZY INDEED!!!! :cheers:

I would indeed - thanks for the kind words.

Mind you, I was hardly a "lad", even then - the band started when I was 21 and imploded due to alcoholic differences when I was 26. I would wholeheartedly support your previous comment

"Music is there to be enjoyed and life doesn't end at 21 so why should your musical ambitions."

Youth - it's wasted on the young.

Regards

Flossie

i saw neil young at reading 95 (?). he was wearing a white suit and smashing everyhting around him. i surfed over the front during the last song (rocking in the free world) when he started to go apeshit, and still had time to get back to the middlefront of the stage and watch him pushh over some amps, crack his guitar into small peices, and throw them lesuirely to the crowd. amwazing. and he musta been 60 odd.

i saw neil young at reading 95 (?). he was wearing a white suit and smashing everyhting around him. i surfed over the front during the last song (rocking in the free world) when he started to go apeshit' date=' and still had time to get back to the middlefront of the stage and watch him pushh over some amps, crack his guitar into small peices, and throw them lesuirely to the crowd. amwazing. and he musta been 60 odd.[/quote']

I was there too and your right Neil Young was amazing :rockon:

Yeah but those guys have been around forever!!

And why is that?

Is it because they consistantly write good music and perform well live or is it just because no one from the younger generation can put a candle to them.

Where is the competition for the U2's of this world?

Is it because they think there getting too old at 23!!!!!

U2 never broke big till there third album in todays climate if you dont sell a huge amount of your debut album your dropped from your label. U2 themselves say they'd have never have got so far if they started today.

There is no time to develop and that is why no one is reaching the same hights as those older bands.

you're only passed it when you can't devote enough time and energy to give it your best shot. as you get older, all kinds of shit starts to take over your life and before you know it - you don't have the time.

if you're still 100% into it - go for it. 23 is fuck all.