aberdeen-music

Bands that never made it but should have

morlun

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

E9 for sure - The Blueprint aren't breaking quite the same ground and I'm still pissed off with them for cancelling ages ago.

Shouting Myke. Not sure 'A Silent Film' will compare now there's only one geetar. Paycheques and Poetry was amazing. *sniff*

And Mahumodo are missed - although they've reconvened in another band, can't remember the name.

I 100% agree with Demon regarding Ulver. The new album sounds amazing! They are a band with balls.

I also think Opeth is underated, probably because it involves a little bit of mellow/folkesque music (but I love it)

Devin Townsend- He sang for Vai in the 90s, supported Aerosmith and Van Halen. Then gave it all up. It was cheesy shit. He hated LA and the music scene, he hated going on to shows with Jay Leona etc so he went into the office of (the late late show) guy and stuck his own phone up his bum and got his friend to take photos. He almost got sued for that. He hates stardom and could write pop songs if he wanted but is totally disillusioned by it all.

Slash wanted hm to be hi singer but Dev turned it down. There were rumours that he was offered a job in Megadeth when Mustaine sat on his hand but nope, not interested. Vai has admitted that Devin is amazingly talented, Burton from Fear Factory and Jason Newstead too. He even knocked metallica off the number 1 spot in Japan.

But he doesnt give a fuck.

Anyway, before Cowboy Dan complains about my spelling I want to say this. I dont care. Im pished. If my spelling is such an important thing then get help. Cowboy Dan is a fucking fanny who probably has OCD.

Im off to bed (pished)

Nite nitex

Guest Jake Wifebeater
Anyway' date=' before Cowboy Dan complains about my spelling I want to say this. I dont care. Im pished. If my spelling is such an important thing then get help. Cowboy Dan is a fucking fanny who probably has OCD.

Im off to bed (pished)

Nite nitex[/quote']

You are going to regret this when you drag your hungover carcass out of bed and go online next. I keep bloody telling you to stay offline when you're on the sauce but oh no, Baldy knows best.

These are all ancient history, but some bands/solo artists I really like who seem to have a low profile are ...

Scrapper Blackwell

Slim Gaillard

The Creation

Karen Dalton

Honeybus

Wimple Winch

The Left Banke

Pearls Before Swine

The Smoke

Fred Neil

Meic Stevens

July

Bridget St John

The Famous Jug Band

HP Lovecraft

The Mekons

And Mahumodo are missed - although they've reconvened in another band' date=' can't remember the name.[/quote']

Devil Sold His Soul. Pretty good but not a patch on Mahumodo. Maybe they'll get there, I certainly hope so. Mahumodo were fucking ACE. I'll say Will Haven, Far, Earthtone9 and Pitchshifter too. Also Mineral.

I always thought Nirvana didn't get quite get as much commercial success they deserved...

:angel:

Seriously though, I'm totally not going to buck the trend and say earthtone9, Kerbdog, Cable, Will Haven and I'm also gonna add Human Waste Project into the pot - loved them when I was a nipper.

I managed to catch on of the Kerbdog shows in Dublin earlier this year - it was ACE!!! They were a bit ropey, tbh but they seemed to have a good time, as did the crowd. Suprisingly, the gig in Belfast at the beginning of April and that was a lot smaller a venue. Was gonna go over for it but couldn't afford it in the end. I email Cormac about getting them over to Scotland to play some gigs cos there seemed to be some interest in Edinburgh also but he never got back to me.

IQ, they really did deserve to be very big.

In the new wave era, Pink Military were a sensational band, they released one album, Do Animals Believe In God, which had a terrific single "Did You See Her". They had some connection through Erics at Liverpool with Frankie GTH etc I seem to recall.

Actually Pallas have always deserved a wider press, as did Frankie Miller and as does Ray Wilson, Scotland's best kept secrets.