aberdeen-music

1 two 10

Paulscoconutass

Reading the 100 albums of all time thread make me want to puke my gizzards into the gutter. I was left wondering where everyone would put themselves on a scale of 1 to 10 regarding how open-minded they are about music (1 being Im only teh metalz or punx 10 being I listen to anything and everything).

Personally i'd put myself as a 6/7, most of the music i listen to is rock/guitar based but i also listen to dance, pop, metal and all that stuff. The only thing i can really say doesn't interest me is national music (i.e. indian, african even scottish) or regional variations.

I`d say i`m an 8 or a 9.

I can't stand really high pitch bangra music with shrilly female vocals.

Phillip Johnston is a 10.... as he loves the stuff..... so he`s better than me.

Ragu Dave also.... also a guy called Graeme that shops in One Up that I met at a Nick cave gig.

For some reason i`ve found myself listening to a fair bit of funk and "RnB" recently.

bought the John Legend album. More soulful than RnB...... AND there is a new Stevie Wonder album out soon.

Sooper.

Actually..... I`m not a fan of prog.....and it`s derivatives..

I don`t mind Piper at the gates of dawn by Pink Floyd and a couple of other tracks but the rest I can do without.

Also not a fan of Power Metal although I`ll hopefully see a proper power metal band live and then i`ll make a judgement.

Basically i just like melody and a hook. I`m also a sucker for vocal harmonies and anything bass heavy. So i guess funk,reggae, drum n bass, the Beach Boys, Prince and Michael Jackson.

I'd say I'm an 8. Although I'm a bit of a muso, I also like pop music, which might sound strange given todays charts, but there's times I like to listen to Vic Reeve's "Dizzy" or Betty Boo's "Where Are You Baby?" and find them so infectiously groovy.

I also like folk (Nick Drake, Joni Mitchell), jazz (Miles, Coltrane, Taylor etc), dance/electronica (Leftfield, Aphex Twin, Air, Goldie), rock (the VU, GNR, Sex Pistols, Pink Floyd), classical (Beethoven, Holst), funk (Stevie, Herbie Hancock, Michael Jackson's earlier stuff), hip hop (Public enemy, Ice T, Grandmaster flash), christ I even like Abba (Arrival, not Super Trouper). And I like Obituary and Free Jazz and Throbbing Gristle. And I like 80's new romo stuff like Tubeway Army, early New Order. Oh and I like Marillion, well the Fish stuff anyway.

is that broad enough?

Maybe a 7

I like Metal, Rock,Noisecore, Classical, acoustic, folk, electronica stuff, some pop but not the sickly manufactured pish.

R+B stuff is mostly shite IMHO, I dont really "get Rap" and the droning 2 note dance music does nothing for me. I suppose I like music which is a challenge or at least something slightly interesting.

I must admit, Im not scared to say that I think Enyas last album kicks ass and AHA were shit hot

If it was purely about the span of music you listen to I'd give myself an 8 as I like love Pop, Rock, Swing, Rap and Rockabilly. I'm also not the kind of person to say "It's in the charts and 12 year old girls listen to it, so it's not cool". A lot of people who think they're totally musically open-minded are still the people who cringe at anything on Top of the Pops.

However, I'd probably give myself a 2 as although I listen to a large span of music, I am of the opinion that if I don't like it, then it is shit. There's good music and shit music, and although music is subjective and down to personal taste, if you're not willing to argue about music then you're just being a sychophantic "it's all music, can't we just get along" bore.

I would give myself a 7, possibly an 8.I listen to a wide variety of stuff from heavy metal, to pop, to folk to country.I'm not a big fan of all these joy division/new order bands and loath trance and 99% of dance music with a passion.Most other stuff I can listen to, even bangra stuff.

The evidence on these boards does not point to a great deal of open mindedness, with honourable exceptions, I think people are overrating their tolerance, try and think how much you think is pish. I like quite a lot of stuff, but still only come in at about 6 or 7 tops due to blind spots concerning; Country (& Western), 99.9 % of Folk Music, Classical/Baroque/Romantic/Opera etc, Brass Bands Choirs etc Cheese Dance (hardhouse/handbag/hardbag/happyhardcore/hardtrance ad infinitum-to the point where most people think that is what dance music is all about) Middle-aged soft rock shite, the Slavishly Retro, and, eh, quite a lot else.

I am under no illusions that just because I like Reggae & Dub, Funk, Rock n Roll(covers a lot of bands in my eyes), Jungle, Hip Hop, Techno/Breaks/Electro/House, Soul and a lot of miscellaneous random stuff, means that I am especially open minded, the best solution must be to check out as much as possible.

Mind you when I was 18 I was about a 1 or 2.

Guest stuartmaxwell

good thread

in my eyes, to be open minded you have to be passionate about a wide range of genres (i.e. going to most shows, buying lots of records, buying magazines, knowlegdeable about that genre etc)

i dont care if you listen to brazillian dubcore or not? if you cant accept a good pop punk/emo song then you can hardly call yourself open minded

people who post 8/9s/10s etc are most probably those who dont have no more than a passing interest in music and rarely get under the skin of those genres

just my opinion

i am too opinionated on music to be anywhere near open minded

i would say 3