aberdeen-music

The Best Gig You've Ever Been To...

jonty84

Yeah, they were superb though. Only quibble was that the bass was fuzzed up for "The National Anthem": it was better played with John Cale-esque heaviness. Oh and that nobody moved!! Me and my mates were going nuts and all the Next-wearing blokes were standing round, arms crossed, only singing along to "Creep" and "Fake Plastic Trees". Hardly enthusing! Asian Dub Foundation were shit hot too!!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead - Corn Exchange May 2003 (was far better than the aecc gig imo, even though i didn't know the httt songs then)

Brian Wilson - Clyde Auditorium April 2004

Muse - T in the Park 2004

Bright Eyes - QUU MArch 2005 ( was quite suprised how good this was, so much better then when htey played there in '03)

Polyphonic Spree - Reading 2003

Pixies - T in the Park 2004

Insane Clown Posse had to be one of the best' date=' absolutely fantastic show likes!! much love! November '03, London!

One Minute Silence, American headcharge and Slipknot - St. Valentines day Massacre and with Slayer in the Unholy Alliance aswell! love love lovely![/quote']

What she said!

Oh, and Meat Loaf at the AECC in 1999.

:rockon:

I have to admit that i haven't been to many gigs but seeing Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall and Chimaira at QMU (Glasgow 2004) was awesome! I'll never forget the shoe moshing or the guy jumping off the balcony into the crowd! Seeing Ok-Go (Lemon Tree 2003) was also quite good because of the whole atmosphere!

Ivor was in the Cowdray Hall' date=' very close nearby.......I was there, too. His 2 Arts centre ones were ace, as was one he did in the Univ.Union in the 70s. There's a documentary on BBC4 about him next week.

[i']Cowdray Hall! that was it...

Although instinct tells me that guys going to the same gigs over the years should know each other, it's clear from this forum that people can frequent the same places time and again and never formally meet.

(I'm sure if you'd been at the Matt McGinn gig we'd have spoken - there was only a couple of dozen there. Had a long talk with him after, but I was so pissed I can't recall a word of it. Typical.)

By the way, the rest of you, check out Mr Cutler if you can - you won't regret it.

It was just before V2001 I believe. Way before the Remote Part was even recorded.

I was going to mention it anyway. Idlewild were great (nuts to you' date=' Maxi!) and Aereogramme were absolutely stunning. I'd never heard them before but they were a bolt out of the blue. I remember shouting for joey was particularly insane. I also managed to smash my glasses at this gig... Hmmm... :D

[/quote']

Yeah, i remember it being a long time before the Remote Part. My brother was at that gig when he was 16 or 17, I wish I'd been into the 'wild then. Have managed to catch them a few times since then but I would've loved to have seen them as a four-peice. Favourite gigs:

Jetplanelanding - The Loft, Forres, March 2003 (i think)

Sonic Youth - Barras, Dec 2004

Radiohead - Music Hall, Dec 2003

Rolling Stones - SECC, Dec 2003

Dillinger Escape Plan - Cathouse, Glasgow, sometime in 2003

...on a more local note, I was really impressed with Poltik (playing Dedalus and some other local band) at Bannerman's in Edinburgh last year. By far the best Aberdeen band I've seen.

I hav been to alot of gigs but if i was to give you my top 10 it would be:

1.AC/DC AECC June '96

2.Foo Fighters Barrowlands December 2000

3.Idlewild Music Hall October 2000

4.Muse SECC November 2003

5.Finch Lemon Tree March 2003

6.Feeder Music Hall Feb 2003

7.Lostprophets SECC Hall2 November 2004

8.Hundred Reasons Kef November 2001

9.Goldfinger Leeds Festival 2002

10.Hell Is For Heroes Lemon Tree August 2002

Guest Electric Tibet

Radiohead -TITP 1996

Radiohead - AECC 2004/3?

Mogwai/Arab Strap - The liquid rooms 1997

Yo La Tengo - some theatre in glasgow 2000

Eels - some other theatre in glasgow 200?

The Microphones - Dr Drakes 2003

Brian Wilson - Smile Tour 2004 armadillo

Hookers Green #1 - drummonds 2003 (?)

Bert Jansch - Path Tavern 2001

Neil Young - SECC 200?

Love - the aforementioned first Lemon Tree show - I was expecting a bunch of old guys sitting down playing some nice songs.

I saw Sonic Youth at ATP 2000 but they were shite (I like sonic youth)

I also saw Aphex Twin at ATP, but I wasn't really "there"

shellac - edinburgh 2004

tom waits - london 2004

mr bungle - london 2001/0 (?)

fudge tunnel - aberdeen 1991(?)

young gods - glasgow 1994

soundgarden - glasgow 1995/6(?)(two weeks after kurt cobain topped himself)

buck 65 - glagow 2003

mogwai - glasgow 1998

senser - aberdeen 1992(?)

not including festivals...