aberdeen-music

2014/2015 Season Thread

Woodsinho

Think Aberdeen can be pretty pleased with how they played in Europa as a whole.  Looking forward to the game on Sunday.

In EPL news sounds like Man Utd are out of the Vermaelen sweep.  Arsene wanted a player swap deal if he was to go there and they've said no.  Off to Barca to form a roaming center back partnership with Pique?  That sounds like a nightmare for Barca fans.

He'd only be a back up at Barca I reckon. Still it's a big step down from others that they were looking at.

The dons can be very happy with the European campaign. A very professional victory against a team we should always beat easily (but previous dons teams have made a mess of those games), a very good win against a comparable team and a defeat without shame against one of the very best teams in the tournament.

Now the important thing is we take advantage of the sharpness gained from these matches to hit the ground running in the league. 

Im a bit gutted really, the game was there for the taking at 2-1, but we lost our way a bit, just resorted to lumping it forward when the passing game was working much better.

Still proud as punch with the boys and if we play like that this season, we could actually push for the league, especially considering how bad Celtic are at the moment. 

He'd only be a back up at Barca I reckon. Still it's a big step down from others that they were looking at.

The dons can be very happy with the European campaign. A very professional victory against a team we should always beat easily (but previous dons teams have made a mess of those games), a very good win against a comparable team and a defeat without shame against one of the very best teams in the tournament.

Now the important thing is we take advantage of the sharpness gained from these matches to hit the ground running in the league. 

I'm not sure he'd leave if he didn't think he'd start.  Apparently he's getting a 5 year deal as well.  About 15 million is not bad considering his form and injury history, confirmed by the BBC man that knows all.

I'd assume that Pique and Matthieu would be the first choice pairing  but there's been a suggestion that Enrique might play a back three so he might complete that. They definitely need at least one player back there with the transfer ban still hanging over them. 

Milner, I felt we had a chance, if we could have got a third quickly and really rattled them. However that was probably just wishful thinking, realistically they are a much better side and were always going to get another goal.

I'm well up for Sunday though. Can't wait. Hopefully the ground is packed out again (without vuvuzelas please). united have apparently just about sold out their allocation. 

I'd assume that Pique and Matthieu would be the first choice pairing  but there's been a suggestion that Enrique might play a back three so he might complete that. They definitely need at least one player back there with the transfer ban still hanging over them. 

Milner, I felt we had a chance, if we could have got a third quickly and really rattled them. However that was probably just wishful thinking, realistically they are a much better side and were always going to get another goal.

I'm well up for Sunday though. Can't wait. Hopefully the ground is packed out again (without vuvuzelas please). united have apparently just about sold out their allocation. 

Yeah if we had gotten a 3rd quickly, they would have panicked, but i think the team thought that and tried to rush it too much, we had half an hour left at that point, we didnt need to bypass the midfield so much. Still tho, could not be more proud with how the guys went about it, a team  that is a country mile ahead of us and we gave them a good go. 

15,000 tickets sold for Sunday and i dont think there will be cash sales on the day, so probably top tier of the RDS closed. Should be a great day out. 

I thought Aberdeen played really well last night, both collectively and individually. There were a couple of 9/10 performances from players like Logan (penalty aside), Reynolds, and Jack; with McGinn, Hayes, and Considine also really impressing me.

Aside from the awful set-piece goal and two instances where Aberdeen gave the ball away in their own defensive third, I felt Aberdeen had an excellent first half, although it should be noted that Real Sociedad allowed Aberdeen a bit of time on the ball and didn't press too heavily. Aberdeen recycled first half possession really well when it mattered, and I really enjoyed the times when Aberdeen passed patiently in triangles instead of directing a long ball forward; it's rare to see Scottish teams do this, and the players looked comfortable doing it throughout the match.

For my money, Mark Reynolds is easily the best Scottish centre-back currently playing in Scotland, and he had another outstanding game last night. He's so agile, pacey, and dominant. Aberdeen are very fortunate to have him, and along with Jack, Pawlett, and McGinn, I can see him move on to "better" things in the next year or two. Provided form is maintained, of course.

Once Pawlett was replaced by Rooney, Aberdeen failed to exploit the space between Sociedad's defence and midfield, and as Milner indicated, Aberdeen naturally adopted a more direct route; which is fine if they were prepared to win every second ball, but that wasn't really happening, and it seemed as though Sociedad were in control and somehow knew they would score and wrap the game up. It's a shame they scored a third - I don't think Aberdeen deserved to lose that match.

Really interesting game, and the performance vindicates many people's predicitons of second spot in the league for Aberdeen this season, despite the late goals.

The vuvuzelas are fucking shit, though. And I fucking love drone music. 

Aye Reynolds was outstanding, him and Anderson have been rocks in the Europe games. What id want to know, is why didnt Anderson play like this 10 years ago! He looks so comfortable on the ball on and he reads the game so well. He was always more of a braveheart centre back in his younger days. He looked dead on his feet at the end of last night tho, i cant see him starting sundays game. 

Pawlett is the funny one for me. Electric at times and then goes completely missing for large parts of the game, i think thats the one thing stopping him from being bought right now. Jack on the other hand i really dont see lasting the season, he looks 3/4 steps ahead from his game from last year, absolutely outstanding in all 6 games and didnt look out of place at that level of football. Flood gives his all, but you can see why he is in Scotland, gives the ball away far too much, but then does everything possible to win it back. Goodwilie i thought was a huge positive last night as well, showed nice touches, good movement and seemed to link up really well with McGinn and Pawlett. Rooney is a great goal scorer, but Goodwillie can pull defences apart and leave space behind for the two really quick guys. 

If we play like that all season, almost no one in Scotland could cope with us, but we still have the issue of when Pawlett goes off, we go long ball. Hopefully McInnes has a plan B for the times without him this season.