aberdeen-music

three albums that shaped your music today

bikelife

thought this would be a cool idea, name three albums that have changed how you have played music over the years

for me it has to be ( in no order)

1. the lawrence arms - apathy and exhaustion

2. against me - as the eternal cowboy

3. no trigger - canyoneer

understandarbly albums not alot of people will know but all albums that have changed how i have played guitar or written songs over the years

• Upvote 2

Greatest hits 1+2 - Queen

although its not really the style i listen to or play these days these are two albums that were played around be alot as a child and i was brought up on (as for probably alot of people on here) and definatly had some part in pushing me towards the music i have listened to my entire life. 

Good thread.

There's not much crossover between what influenced me when I played drums in high school and what went on to influence me in my fairly unambitious songwriting.  Drums wise, it was down to solid classics - Led Zeppelin II, Nevermind and, ahem, Rust in Peace by Megadeth.

Songwriting wise, I think Songs From Northern Britain by Teenage Fanclub was crucial - the vocal harmonies and sweet guitar melodies really got me.  I also revisited Pet Sounds from a perspective outside of just singing Good Vibrations in the car.  Lastly, Silver Jews' Bright Flight was the last album that really blew my mind from the position of my own songwriting.  Seriously well crafted lyrics.

Alkaline Trio - Good Mourning

NOFX - So Long and Thanks for all the Shoes

Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves

Honourary mention goes to:

Misfits - American Psycho

Lots of stuff has came and went, particularly the Blink 182 / Dookie era Green Day stuff that massively shaped what I did with Heller State, but those 3 records have never been far down in my list of most-played, particularly when I'm trying to get my shit together and get inspired to do some more writing.

xx

I couldn't tell you - I listened to music for 25 or so years then started to write stuff.  There was no lightbulb moment album, never mind three.  A combination of laziness and lack of confidence in my abilities had thwarted me up to this point.  I don't know who I play or compose like, I don't know who I sound like or what my words suggest, I just want it to be good.  I want people to take something away from it.  Otherwise, what's the point?

I do remember being mesmerised by Cream, "Fresh Cream", exhilarated by Iron Maiden, "Iron Maiden" and prising my jaw off the floor the first time I listened to Radiohead, "OK Computer" if that helps.  How all that affected me, I don't really know.

Any Trouble - Where Are All The Nice Girls?

First album I properly paid attention to when I was very young. Most of the stuff my mum played in the car was pop music or crooners. I was hooked on Any Trouble when I heard it. I got a copy of the tape and wore it out as I listened to it at least twice a day. Paved the way to getting into similar power-pop from that era, like The Jam and Elvis Costello. I don't know if it effected how I play music, but it was the first record that actually sparked my interest in music.

Green Day - Insomniac

My sister taped it for me, then the other Green Day albums she had. She didn't really listen to punk, except for Green Day. It was mostly Blur and other Britpop rubbish. But Green Day stood out. It made me want to play guitar, as it was the first thing I'd heard where the guitar was so prominent. Loads if distortion and right at the front of the mix.

Less Than Jake - Hello Rockview / ALL - Mass Nerder

I bought both these albums at the same time via mail order back in '99, via some catalogue that came with an issue of Kerrang. Took about 2 months to arrive. Both bands had songs on the soundtrack to Street Skater on the PS1, along with a few other bands. That game was terrible, but the soundtrack got me into punk rock properly. It's all I've really listened to since, and my primary influence for writing.

Tough one.. only one I'm pretty sure about would be Satch's Surfing with the Alien. Guthrie Govan's Erotic Cakes in more recent years. And for stuff I jammed earlier on, which is probably still with me, RHCP's Mother's Milk or BloodSugar..., or RATM's self-titled.

I've never played along to whole albums much, I could do a much more representative listing for say, 10 songs. Maybe another thread.

Green Day - Dookie

The Chariot - Long Live

Brand New - Deja Entendu.

The bassline in Longview is what made me want to pick up a bass and play.  I got in to lots of different music but what's changed the way I play most dramatically have been the next two albums listed. The Chariot for the way Wolf didn't give a shit onstage and gave it tits and Brand New for how good their bassist is really.

Very difficult to choose three as I've almost completely changed what I play compared to ten years ago or when I first picked up a guitar 20 years ago. These three probably give a good idea of how personal style has progressed.

Metallica - Master of Puppets

Without Metallica I probably would have given up on the guitar. Spent hours with friends sitting in a garage thrashing out Master of Puppets, Sanitarium, Battery etc. The riffing style I learnt listening to Metallica, Megadeth and Pantera defined everything I did in bands (even if they weren't thrash bands).

Kelly Joe Phelps - Shine Eyed Mister Zen

I'd always like blues but this is the moment when acoustic and more roots orientated stuff clicked for the first time. Inspired me to learn fingerpicking.

Lau - Lightweights and Gentlemen

This is the album that fully converted me to a trad fan.  They're not just a fantastic trad band but simply a superb band full stop.  Kris Drever, Aiden O'Rourke and Martin Green's awesome musicianship really showed me how exciting and relevant trad could sound.