aberdeen-music

Last Gig You Went To?

ca_gere

Just got back from Mos Def playing with the Brooklyn Philharmonic orchestra. Talib Kweli was due on after but I had to leave early. It was pretty amazing. It was in a bit of a rough area so there weren't many posey hipsters and it was free too. He's such a charismatic chap and his delivery is still just perfect, it went so well with orchestral instruments. Absolutely buzzin after that and I didn't even stay for the whole thing.

Jealous!

Must have been fantastic.

Was Talib just going on solo after him or were they going to perform Blackstar stuff together?

Jealous!

Must have been fantastic.

Was Talib just going on solo after him or were they going to perform Blackstar stuff together?

Nyah, they were seperate. Talib was doing his new project. Idle something or other. Mos Def was introduced with his new name too which was quite funny coz you could hear everyone going 'huh? Who's that?... Oh yeah, he changed his name'

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This thread didn't quite reach the dizzy heights of 'last film you watched' but I'm gonna persevere.

Went to my first biggish gig in a good while last night. Saw !!! Supported by a local band called 'Friends'. Was pretty pretty pretttaayy good.

The support band I'm definitely gonna check out to see what they sound like on record. They're a five piece with an absolutely gorgeous singer and a tidy bassist. Oh, and some other guys who play instruments or something. Nice voice on the girl and some catchy bits but it all felt like they were missing an instrument. That might have been down to the sound which is why I'm keen to hear their stuff.

!!! Were fantastic. The front man has a great presence and I've actually never laughed so much at in between song banter. I've always thought their stuff sounds a little samey but I've wanted to see them for a while just based on this guy's reputation and I wasn't disappointed. For dancey guitar music there are few bands better at the moment (now that LCD sound system aren't playing). Was a distinctly hipster crowd but that happy keen kind of pill popping hipster I don't mind. Their set was a little samey like I expected but they had at least two moments where either a bassline or guitar groove hit that wonderful place in ur head, the musical brain g-spot, when it feels like everything is right in the world, so I left very happy.

I ended up going to see Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds at Edinburgh Usher Hall at the end of October because some mates had a spare ticket going. Was pretty good actually, some decent choices of old Oasis songs mixed in there. I'm not going to go to the AECC gig in February though because that will literally be hell on earth.

I think that the last gig I went to see was Yuck at King Tuts. I was suffering from a very large hangover after seeing Death Cab for Cutie the night before and was on water the whole evening. Yuck were great, if you like pop songs, fuzz and feedback, you'll love them. The two support acts were very good, although I can't remember their names.

OK so it's a comedy gig but Mark Watson at the Lemon Tree last Friday was brilliant. Best comedy crowd I've seen in Aberdeen for ages. Totally up for taking part and not being scared to get involved. At one point Watson jumped off stage to steal someone's seat who went to the toilet then an audience member suggested his mate go onstage wearing Watson's glasses as he was dressed in the same colour t-shirt. Hilarity literally ensued.

Last music gig I went to was The Twilight Sad. Think my ears are still ringing and I had earplugs in.

This thread didn't quite reach the dizzy heights of 'last film you watched' but I'm gonna persevere.

Went to my first biggish gig in a good while last night. Saw !!! Supported by a local band called 'Friends'. Was pretty pretty pretttaayy good.

Are Friends not on that BBC sound of 2012 list thing?

Last gig I went to was The Horrors a couple of weeks back. I'm not that familiar with their material but I enjoyed the gig. They performed very well and the crowd were very into it.

I've been at ATP: Nightmare Before Christmas this weekend. This year it was curated by Les Savy Fav, Battles and Caribou and was the first time I've ever been to an ATP despite wanting to for aaaages. Pretty much decided that I wanted to go for Les Savy Fav alone, but over the past few months I've gotten into a lot of the bands on the bill (mainly from the Friday).

Best were...

Les Savy Fav

All of the curating bands played two sets on their day, one to open and one to close. I thought Les Savy Fav's first show in the afternoon was best because I preferred the songs they played and it was on a smaller stage so we were stood at the front. Also, some fucks managed to totally ruin my left ankle one song into their headlining set, making me hobble to the back of the massive room and stand by myself for the rest of it.

Notable things Tim Harrington did during the first set...

-came onstage wearing a woman's black sparkly vest top with matching cardigan, then proceeded to strip off as per usual.

-stole my boyfriend's beer and spat it at him (despite it being a stupidly expensive pint, he grinned "totally worth it" as beer dripped down his face)

-dressed the soundman up the same as him and did syncronised dance moves. As a finisher, he lifted up the guy and went to throw him into the crowd, but didn't get him high up enough and ended up just throwing him at the barrier. Ouch.

-grabbed some dude in the crowd, hugged him whilst removing the fella's earring and proceeded to pierce his own ear with it.

-drank gin out of a kettle

-pulled himself up into the rafters in one swift movement and swung upside down whilst dropping confetti onto people

Check those skills! Fuck!

Wild Flag

Oh man, the sound was perfect and they were so tight. I am now very much in love with Carrie Brownstein.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypXBLCCOxmw

No Age

Again, just too ace. The sound could have been better, but Fever Dreaming sounded magnificent. Also they got a guy from the crowd up onstage with them to sing a Black Flag number just because they wanted to play it.

Battles

Also played twice. Despite having two artists on the bill who they've featured on their album, neither of the acts appeared live with them onstage, which I think people thought was missing a trick. Good fun, though, happy songs and the ones that did feature Gary Numan, Matias Aguayo, etc had videos of them singing projected onto the backdrop, so that was a nice substitute for the real thing.

...And the rest:

Marnie Stern, Surfer Blood, the Budos Band, OXES, Archers of Loaf, Hot Snakes, Nisennenmondai, Walls, Washed Out, Gary Numan, Thank You, Flying Lotus, Caribou, the Ex with Getatchew Mekurya, Toro Y Moi, Sun Ra Arkestra, Junior Boys, Silver Apples, Omar Souleyman, Four Tet.

ALL GOOD STUFF!

We missed out on seeing Holy Fuck, though, which I'm sad about, but the queues to get in were massive so we probably would have been stuck at the back unable to see a thing anyway.

Cool story, bro.

• Upvote 1

The best thing about seeing Battles was when they just finished playing a song, which was followed by the applause, then gradual silence, then suddenly a massive shout of "FENTON!"

The songs were alright too, I guess!

-----

My favourite band at ATP was Hot Snakes. John Reis was having the time of his life, and every time a crowdsurfer was dragged out by a bouncer, he'd shout at the end of the song "Uh oh... He's going to Butlins' Jail!"

But yeah, I saw all those bands too. They were all excellent.