aberdeen-music

Last Gig You Went To?

ca_gere

The Presidents of the USA at O2 ABC, Glasgow

Fourth time I've seen The Presidents live and they never disappoint. Great songs, great banter between them and an unbeatable atmosphere. They played the whole of their first album start to finish which was superb, with a few extra tunes thrown in on top. Didnt play Japan despite my continued harrassment, but I'll let them off! ABC is a first rate venue too. Not seen a bad gig there and the sounds has always been top notch.

Double damn, I love this band live so hard. I can't imagine them possibly managing a bad gig if their lives depended on it.

Went to see Triptykon on that Destroyers of the Faith tour, they were awesome, doing a 3 song set; Synagoga Satanae, Goetia, The Prolonging, even met Tom G briefly on Sauchiehall St. The black metal band were alright, bit lightweight, though the sound wasn't great further back, and Cannibal Corpse were quite fun for a while, but after 8 songs I knew nothing different would happen, so that was it. A Triptykon headline set would be rather nice though.

• 1 month later...

Went to see The Staves last night, very good gig, only spoiled by having to leave early due to having to get up at 6:30 :(. The banter between the sisters was good the songs amazing.

Support was a guy called Christof, a Dutch guy who lives in Galway, which was good but started to sound like each song was the same and The Lake Poets , who was until recently just one guy from Sunderland singing songs that were good, but a little depressing.

Next gig up is The Unthanks, which I'm really looking forward to.

• 1 year later...

Similar to the last film thread.  What was the last gig you went to and how was it?  Basically this is the thread where we all get jealous of Ca Gere and Paranoid Android's Polish gigs while we freeze our nuts off going to the Tunnels.

Dillinger Escape Plan @ Garage

I've got 2 Dillinger albums - one that I listened to heaps a few years ago and still occasionally stick on and another I bought a few weeks ago and still haven't played.  I did put it on at work the other week but it was a bad day and I only made it halfway through the first song before deciding that it wasn't helping my stress levels one bit.

Anyway we turned up a bit later than expected so only caught the last 3 songs of Three Trapped Tigers.  I bought their album after seeing them support Deftones at the start of the year. They're all over the place in an ace way. Mad synths, crazy drumming and beasting guitar. 

Dillinger were punishing. Fuck knows how they keep that up for a full set,  I enjoyed it but found myself longing for the short lived and sparsely placed slower moments when they'd lock in a groove and just riff.  Maybe those moments were better for their rarity though.  Props to the guitarist for getting up and continuing to play after attempting to hang upside down from the roof by his toes and falling off.  Nice Come To Daddy cover in the encore too.

thought dillinger were awesome last night. wish they'd ditch those "pop songs" because they sound like Marilyn Manson or some other industrial goth dirge.

would have happily traded come to daddy for 'mullet burden' or 'sugar coated sour', though.

Last gig was Henning Wehn at the Lemon tree but that wasn't exactly a music gig :) It was however, very very good as to be expected,

I think that before that the last one we went to (we did a few comedy stuff at the Fringe etc) but the last proper music one was probably Springsteen in Glasgow - Jun 18, 2013. Great show, really enjoyed it, seciond Springsteen show in 2 years and you certainly can't fault the man.

Next Show is the Boomtown Rats at the Beach Ballroom on Sunday.

Anyway we turned up a bit later than expected so only caught the last 3 songs of Three Trapped Tigers.  I bought their album after seeing them support Deftones at the start of the year. They're all over the place in an ace way. Mad synths, crazy drumming and beasting guitar.

They're so great, hope they tour themselves soon.

I went to see Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds on Friday. I had been waiting twelve years to see them live, having only seen Cave with a few Bad Seeds in the guise of Grinderman before. The set was ace, really good range of stuff spanning their career. When I bought the tickets, I tried to get for the stalls, but they sold out ridiculously quickly so I could only get for the cheap seats in the top balcony. As good as the view ended up being, I still felt that maybe we lost out on being so far away. Cave's got a lot more crowd interaction than he ever used to and spent most of the set right down in the front row. It would have been nice to be nearer to be more captivated by him, but at least from the balcony I got to keep my eye on Warren Ellis who was going tits, as standard.

The highlights were Jubilee Street (I think it ended up in doubletime and Ellis was incredible to watch during the final few minutes of it), Stagger Lee, God Is In The House and Papa Won't Leave You, Henry.

There had been a few heckles earlier on that it seemed he didn't understand. They weren't even entertaining and it made me wonder why those who were doing the shouting were even there. I worried a bit because I'd read that he cut the encore short the previous night in Glasgow due to shit hecklers at all the quiet bits, but he did around five songs and ended with a new one called Give Us A Kiss. "We'll finish with a new one. I can see the excitement in all of your eyes..."

Good gig, will get better seats next time.

Tedeschi Trucks Band at the Royal Albert Hall. Immense, best gig I've been to in years (though haven't been to that many in years), best blues gig I've ever been to (haven't been to all that many blues gigs ever...). Only downside was the all-seated format and the fact they only played the intro to Sahib Teri Bandi as a lead-in to something else (maybe Indian-jazz fusion isn't bluesy enough for a "Blues Fest" gig...)

Mavis Staples was the support, also pretty great, not least her reminiscing about Martin Luther King.

Last gig I went to was probably Hindsights/Winter Passing/Cavalcades @ Downstairs.

Pretty good performace wise. As I stated in another thread the sound was terrible. No bass for most of Cavalcades set until the bassist was told by some punters just to turn it up full blast on stage. Winter Passing were great. The dude was obviously stoned/drunk but that just made it pretty funny when he chatted some amount of shite in between songs. Again with the sound, the female vocalist/keyboardist wasn't really heard much at all. Never stuck around for Hindsights. I was tired.

Next gig is probably 36 Crazyfists or Iron Lung.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw one of my favourite bands ever for the first time this week; Low at the Queen's Hall in Edinburgh. It's ridiculous that I had taken so long to see such an important band to me, and I had only ever been in the Queen's Hall for gigs I was playing, so I wasn't sure what to expect as a punter. But it was incredible to witness such an intimate band play in such a large venue...and the sound was incredible. Sure, they just had a three-person line-up, but the clarity and definition of the sound was tremendous. They played a really mixed set, with most of the key albums being well represented, and THEY EVEN PLAYED 'MURDERER' AND 'PISSING'. What a great bunch of lads and lady.

Tomorrow I see a very different prospect. Shellac. I am already prepping my questions for the Q & A session during their set. If anyone would like me to ask them any specific questions, I will be happy to do so.

• Upvote 1