aberdeen-music

Cool Thinkers Cool Thoughts & Local News Thread

Guest Cool Thinker

Guest Cool Thinker

The unit that 1up are in has been already been purchased by Aberdeen City Council and will become the HQ of Aberdeen's UK city of culture bid.

NEWS

* Millets Is Closing Down

* Poundland at Union Square has closed down

* One up Will be closing down on 31st January :(

* HMV is currently in administration and will refund your gift cards but Asda and Tesco are considering refunding the cards, Game is interest in buying the stores. The Canada stores will continue.

* Blockbuster are currently in administration.

* Jessops has closed down due to administration.

* American Candy Co. are going to be closing down.

Above explains why I don't like talking about the high street.

As a tribute I will buying stuff from 1Up this weekend.

You need to follow Martin Lewis as Tesco and Asda are refunding cards if bought from them.

Guest Cool Thinker
Poundland has closed down in Union Square already? Was that just a seasonal thing?

Yes, it was just a Christmas shop although it was in a bad location so would of closed anyway.

Guest Cool Thinker
I told you to check your facts! Also K2 in Torry is now to let.

When I posted that I was unaware of the store being closed.

Also plans to open a KFC at the beach have been scrapped due to parking issues.

My money's on Currys/Dixons Stores Group.

Mine too. The last few times I've been into the huge PC World barn on Hutcheon Street there's been no more than three people in the whole place. And their staff are completely clueless. Same goes for the Garthdee one. You can wander round for hours and struggle to even get the staff to notice, let alone try and sell you something.

Guest Cool Thinker
I don't think you understand how Wikipedia works.

The Wikipedia staff have been working on this Travel guide for years writing articles of main places in countries and that would explain why there was such a detailed article posted on the website at launch.

The Wikipedia staff have been working on this Travel guide for years writing articles of main places in countries and that would explain why there was such a detailed article posted on the website at launch.

Are you kidding? The Wikimedia Foundation barely writes anything, most of them are purely there to keep the servers running! There have been lots of editors helping out with the launch though (myself included) and I imagine some of them will have been Scottish.

By the way, Wikipedia doesn't have a central editing board, it's all volunteer editing. Also, Wikivoyage is run and maintained by the Wikimedia Foundation, not "Wikipedia", which is just one of their websites.

Edit: Looks like the article was pulled almost verbatim from similar (but not the same) site, WikiTravel.

Are you kidding? The Wikimedia Foundation barely writes anything, most of them are purely there to keep the servers running! There have been lots of editors helping out with the launch though (myself included) and I imagine some of them will have been Scottish.

By the way, Wikipedia doesn't have a central editing board, it's all volunteer editing. Also, Wikivoyage is run and maintained by the Wikimedia Foundation, not "Wikipedia", which is just one of their websites.

Edit: Looks like the article was pulled almost verbatim from similar (but not the same) site, WikiTravel.

Wikitravel isn't part of the Wikimedia family?

Wikitravel isn't part of the Wikimedia family?

No. Wikitravel is owned by the commercial (and originally named) company, Internet Brands. Wikivoyage was partially aided along by volunteers on Wikitravel who grew disillusioned with the management structure there. As websites, they do essentially the same thing.

(and yeah I edit wikipedia too much)

• Upvote 1

Guest Cool Thinker
I don't think even Wossy has enough wonga.

Hilco are also interested, Game want to buy 45 stores so that they can make big Game stores.

Also if the store closes then a re-opening is not ruled out as Hawkins Bazaar reopened after closing down.

Guest Cool Thinker
Have you seen how busy that bloody place is?! Ridiculous, man. My office is directly opposite and above their entrance and some of the queues have been mental. I often look up from my computer and see a queue stretching as far as Greggs just before they open at lunchtime. I keep thinking that the buzz will eventually die down, but it's absolutely rammed every day. We tried to go in for lunch once at about 12:30 and were told it'd be an hour-long wait, and the place is massive. You'd think Aberdonians had never experienced an all-you-can-eat buffet before.

I have did some research and all of their restaurants are completely rammed anything less and they sell them so I guess it will never die down.

Guest Cool Thinker
The movie and record industry don't want HMV to disappear so are looking to keep it open by offering generous credit to whoever buys HMV. The company that is looking to buy it is Hilco.

That sounds brilliant.

Guest Giles Walker
If I understand the article correctly, they'll also make the price of dvds and cds lower - which would be great.

I wonder if they'll be cheaper than £0.00