aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Fuck the Walcott haters. Walcott has been slagged off all season, yet he's had a great season, and I've been saying it all season long. Very tidy amount of goals and assists. Great performances. Not the best in the world, but easily the best England have got in that position. I like Milner's industry, but he's not a winger. Play him in Parker's position who looks very tired and not 100% fit at all. Keep the pace in the team, and use Milner's muscle and Desperate Dan jaw in midfield.

That finish from Welbeck. Badass. Big lump centre forward, back to goal, you think he's going to hold it up. Naaaah man. He's poking it into the net. Fuck y'all.

England were shit though. Shit defending. Shit at keeping the ball. Good opening goal, playing to our strengths. Second goal was a huge fluke. Third goal was mint as fuck. Ibra was giving Hart some verbal when Mellberg took the lead. I hope Big Joe fucking chinned the mouthy cunt at full time.

I made the mistake of watching the game in a pub full of English hating Scotch people. I can't overstate how happy I was when Welbeck scored that third goal after the abuse that was directed at me when Sweden went 2-1 up. Thank fuck we didn't lose or I might have done some fighting and I'm probably shit at fighting so it wouldn't have ended well for me. Phew.

Guest Gladstone

I didn't think England played shit yesterday, other than a 15-20 minute spell at the start of the second half, which could have lost them the 3 points. They started brightly and were keeping the ball well (by England standards - they aren't Spain!) but after they scored (a cracking goal by the way - great ball by Gerrard and Carroll did exactly what he was picked to do), they started getting deeper and deeper and deeper. I thought half time came at the right time because Sweden were getting back into it, but holy fuck the start of the second half was shit. England couldn't find feet from 5 yards and the defending for those goals was terrible. Mellberg going unmarked twice at two set pieces? Fuck me. And why on earth was Ashely Young the guy supposed to be marking him at the first goal. He doesn't know what to do inside his own half let alone inside his own box! Credit to England and credit to Hodgson in particular for having the balls to make the change as soon as that goal went in. Milner was looking fairly handy in the first half, but he was doing fuck all second half and he gave the free kick away that led to the second for a stupid challenge. Walcott injected a good bit of pace and energy into the team and Sweden struggled to cope. It would have been easy for England to let their heads go down and think "here we go again" but they fought like bastards for that win.

Got to say, I've been a long time Glen Johnson hater but first Sweden goal aside (which he was playing everyone onside for and made a bit of an arse of trying to clear it) he was England's best defender. I remember him making one misplaced pass the whole game but other than that he was pretty assured on the ball and his covering at times is brilliant. It's mainly due to his speed. He's developed very much like Ashley Cole actually. Fast, shit at defending, good going forward, but a complete pain in the arse to get past because you have to skin him 10 times before getting a cross in, but has actually developed into a decent defender. Cole is now probably one of the best left backs in the world (didn't have one of his better games last night though). Not saying Johnson will be up at that level but he's fairly came on the past couple of seasons. One thing though - Cole would definitely have cleared that off the line. Even when he was a shit defender he was always amazing at goal line clearances. Him and G Nev are the two best ever at clearing the ball off the line when the keeper's been beaten.

There's far too much Liverpool player love in this post - it's not intentional, but the Liverpool players actually did their jobs really well last night. John Terry by the way - what a slow bastard. This has to be his last international tournament. And what a fucking monster Ibra is - Lescott was bouncing off him. Fucking hell. There was a cracking moment in the second half where Johnson and Walcott were trying to get in about him down near the corner flag. It was like watching a dad playing footy with this two kids in his back garden. At one point I thought he was going to turn around and put his hand on Walcott's forehead and just hold him at arm's length whilst Walcott tried to punch him with loads of fresh air swipes...

I made the mistake of watching the game in a pub full of English hating Scotch people. I can't overstate how happy I was when Welbeck scored that third goal after the abuse that was directed at me when Sweden went 2-1 up. Thank fuck we didn't lose or I might have done some fighting and I'm probably shit at fighting so it wouldn't have ended well for me. Phew.

They probably hated you for calling them Scotch.

I started not really caring about the score, then I wanted Sweden to win because Mellberg is such a mighty bearded warrior. Then, when Mellberg scored properly, I just wanted Mellberg to win because he's really dreamy. Then I wanted England to win because the pub was full of borderline-racist pissed neds whose uncouth manner and potty language offended my high-class sensibilities. Then England won and I just felt really dirty. It was a real thrill-ride.

• Upvote 1

You still haven't learned from the Algeria game? That was the angriest I've ever seen you, and we didn't even lose.

The best part about winning last night is that those Swedish newspapers look like a right set of tossers now. As do all their critics and ex-pros coming out and saying we are shit.

Today I'm going to watch Welbeck's backheel, all day.

As for Glen Johnson, he was at fault for both goals, and despite the commentators saying how great he was, the only reason he has to make those last ditch tackles is because he was often caught miles and miles out of position. I think he did ok, certainly not terrible, but he is a liability. The only other option is Phil Jones who is reasonably solid defensively but won't offer much going forwards. He'll probably fall clumsily and get injured anyway.

Carroll's goal was my favourite of the match.

Well done to England last night. They were surprisingly unEnglish when they went down and did well to win the game. Well, Walcott did well to win the game. You have to give credit to Roy. It wasn't just a case of "oh no, we're down. throw on fast player to score in goal" He's obviously told Walcott to on and fearlessly run at Sweden's defence. Walcott didn't give a fuck when he scored either. He was like, "Yeah? So what?"

You still haven't learned from the Algeria game? That was the angriest I've ever seen you, and we didn't even lose.

I knew it was going to be horrible but I was out for a friend from work's leaving drinks so had little choice in the matter. At 2-1 I was raging. A Man On The Edge.

We weren't very good and that's fine - we aren't a good team - but at least there was some desire to not lose after going behind. That's something that's been missing in the past. Attacking substitutions too, imagine that!

I blame Capello. Theo Walcott revealed in his book that "Mr Capello" said "do that again and I will kill you" when Walcott cut inside or tucked in. Capello gets sacked and Theo Walcott scores from right in the middle of the goal. Have it!

Everytime he got the ball I thought we were going to score 10 goals. We should have had another but Captain Fantastic nipped in and STOLE The Ox's tap in by stretching and hitting it with his weak foot. Ox could have just poked it in with ease. Knob. he had a good game though. What a bollock of a cross for Carroll's goal.

One of my "friends" on Facebook went on his usual boring anti-England rant during the game, then surpassed himself by posting, when Wellbeck scored the winner, "that fucking wog should be eating bananas and swinging from a tree".

Safe to say that friendship is over.

You should report that to the police. Totally unacceptable.

I thought it was a great match yesterday between two teams playing very different tactics, I really enjoyed it (probably helped that I had some money on it so I had someone to cheer for). Sweden were defending stoutly then counter attacking at breakneck speed. England's defenders were struggling to handle Ibrahimovic especially, and their forwards were struggling to keep hold of it. I thought the goal was against the run of play a bit, and when Sweden went ahead I was wondering where another English goal was going to come from, kudos to Roy for mixing it up and turning it around. Great piece of skill from Wellbeck, Gerrard really should have wrapped it up at the end from that cross.

I started not really caring about the score, then I wanted Sweden to win because Mellberg is such a mighty bearded warrior. Then, when Mellberg scored properly, I just wanted Mellberg to win because he's really dreamy. Then I wanted England to win because the pub was full of borderline-racist pissed neds whose uncouth manner and potty language offended my high-class sensibilities. Then England won and I just felt really dirty. It was a real thrill-ride.

I went through similar ups and downs. I just don't know what I want anymore. I think I hoorayed all 5 goals. Now that the English football world seem to understand reality they are far less objectionable. Quality goals and an exciting game.