aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Guest Gladstone
I don't think it's down to a vote anyway, I'm pretty sure it's decided by the SFL. I guess we'll find out in a few weeks anyway.

"Decided by the SFL"

Who are "the SFL"? When things are "decided by the SPL" it's the clubs who get to vote on the issue. There are far more clubs in the SFL, so a straight up vote is perhaps less productive. I'm sure it's not just one guy going "eenie meenie miny mo".

Guest Gladstone
We have beaten them more recently than they have beaten us, albeit in a friendly at the back end of last year, but it was 2 full strength teams. Ibra barely got a sniff.

Tonight. 1-0. Welbeck. It's on!

This page: http://www.myfootballfacts.com/England_v_Sweden.html has the stats.

England actually have a better record than Sweden by one victory. P22 W7 L6 D9. 4 of those England victories were between 1923 and 1947 though and prior to last year's friendly victory, England hadn't beaten Sweden since 1968.

In competitive matches its:

P8 W0 L2 D6

I think England will win tonight though. Hodgson knows the Swedish game very well, they've prepared by beating Sweden 6 months ago and beating Norway last month.

EDIT: And it will be 2-0. Carrol header and Gerrard rocket from 25 yards.

EDIT AGAIN: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18181790 What the fuck is that? "Gerrard and Parker to recover from exhaustion". Exhaustion?? Get to fuck. Top level professional footballers played a match 4 days ago and they're "exhuasted". It's the same for everyone in the tournament. Fucking pansies. My shitty amateur team is playing it's 5th match in 13 days tomorrow.

We have beaten them more recently than they have beaten us, albeit in a friendly at the back end of last year, but it was 2 full strength teams. Ibra barely got a sniff.

Tonight. 1-0. Welbeck. It's on!

Ibra only played 45 minutes. I think the game will hinge on what Ibra shows up. The total boss or the uninterested sloth. If its the latter one nil England Andy Carroll header. If not its going to be a draw.

They apply for entry into the SFL, as far as I'm aware there's no hard and fast rule stating that that has to be Division 3. The SFL can accept them and put Rangers United 2012 into Division 1.

The rule as far as i understand it is they would have to apply for membership to the SFL, in the exact same way Annan applied for getting in last season, the only level you can enter the SFL is the third division, you cannot be put anywhere above that, Rangers would be treated the same way any new club would be when entering pro scottish football. What would happen is the SPL position would be taken by a 1st division team, which would prob be Dumfermilne i think, the space in the 1st division would be taken by either the relegated team from last season probably the playoff loser and same for the second division, which opens a spot in the third division.

Its also worth pointing out that if they do not get SPL membership the Rangers we know will be no longer, none of their players will stay, even the kids they have will move on and play higher level football, there is no way they could support the wages at that level of football, and no matter what they say 50,000 will not turn up every week to watch that level of football. They would be starting everything from scratch, just with top level facitlites.

Guest Gladstone
The rule as far as i understand it is they would have to apply for membership to the SFL, in the exact same way Annan applied for getting in last season, the only level you can enter the SFL is the third division, you cannot be put anywhere above that, Rangers would be treated the same way any new club would be when entering pro scottish football. What would happen is the SPL position would be taken by a 1st division team, which would prob be Dumfermilne i think, the space in the 1st division would be taken by either the relegated team from last season probably the playoff loser and same for the second division, which opens a spot in the third division.

Its also worth pointing out that if they do not get SPL membership the Rangers we know will be no longer, none of their players will stay, even the kids they have will move on and play higher level football, there is no way they could support the wages at that level of football, and no matter what they say 50,000 will not turn up every week to watch that level of football. They would be starting everything from scratch, just with top level facitlites.

Is there a grey area in there somewhere? I.e. Dunfermline last season were an SPL member and not an SFL member and they've entered directly into Division 1. I suppose it's different with Rangers because they are for all intents and purposes a completely new football club. But then again, they kind of aren't a new football club because they are Rangers. I just wonder if there won't actually be a specific rule written down, much in the same way the rules in the SPL seem to be a bit shady surrounding this whole area.

Is there a grey area in there somewhere? I.e. Dunfermline last season were an SPL member and not an SFL member and they've entered directly into Division 1. I suppose it's different with Rangers because they are for all intents and purposes a completely new football club. But then again, they kind of aren't a new football club because they are Rangers. I just wonder if there won't actually be a specific rule written down, much in the same way the rules in the SPL seem to be a bit shady surrounding this whole area.

The way i think it works, is there is probably an agreement between the SPL and the SFL to allow the team relegated from the SPL to have automatic access to the 1st division, otherwise the set up wouldnt work. But in Rangers case when its all said and done, legally and as far as the SFA and SPL are concerned from a club point of view they are a new club, if they SPL do not accept them as a member the SFL will then decide if they can join their association and make a space in the bottom tier for them. Otherwise you would be setting a dangerous precedent for future applications.

That all said im nae football leagal expert, and im pretty sure the SPL and SFL have no idea what they are going to do if shit hits the fan, there is no way anyone thought this could happen to a club like Rangers.

Guest Gladstone
The way i think it works, is there is probably an agreement between the SPL and the SFL to allow the team relegated from the SPL to have automatic access to the 1st division, otherwise the set up wouldnt work. But in Rangers case when its all said and done, legally and as far as the SFA and SPL are concerned from a club point of view they are a new club, if they SPL do not accept them as a member the SFL will then decide if they can join their association and make a space in the bottom tier for them. Otherwise you would be setting a dangerous precedent for future applications.

That all said im nae football leagal expert, and im pretty sure the SPL and SFL have no idea what they are going to do if shit hits the fan, there is no way anyone thought this could happen to a club like Rangers.

Aye - I think that's right. I'm having a squint at the SFL rules just now. There is automatic membership for a club relegated from the SPL.

There's a bit of jiggery pokery if an SFL member defaults during the course of the season to ensure that if there is a vacancy, it is in the third division. BUT, it also says this:

9. ADMISSION AND EXPULSION

The League in general meeting may upon such terms and conditions as it may think fit admit any club as an Associate Member or Member of the League and may expel any Member or Associate Member or terminate such membership or may accept the retirement of any Associate Member or Member' date=' but subject always to Rule 126 (Reversion of Transfer of Registration Rights). Upon admission as a Member or Associate Member, the club so admitted shall become bound by and be subject to these Rules and any other Rules or Bye-Laws made by the League for the time being in force.[/quote']

I can't find anywhere that says a new member has to join at division 3.

There is also a rule that states a Member or Associate Member has to be a full or associate member of the SFA. Is that one of the sanctions the SFA may impose on Rangers? I.e. suspending their membership? That would seem to rule them out of SFL football as well as SPL football.

Aye - I think that's right. I'm having a squint at the SFL rules just now. There is automatic membership for a club relegated from the SPL.

There's a bit of jiggery pokery if an SFL member defaults during the course of the season to ensure that if there is a vacancy, it is in the third division. BUT, it also says this:

There is also a rule that states a Member or Associate Member has to be a full or associate member of the SFA. Is that one of the sanctions the SFA may impose on Rangers? I.e. suspending their membership? That would seem to rule them out of SFL football as well as SPL football.

Yeah I could def be wrong about the third division but im sure i read about it somewhere, ill see if i can dig it out later.

The membership thing is the next issue the SFA have to look at, after the transfer embargo was challenged in court one of the very few options now left for the SFA is to kick Rangers out of scottish football or suspend their membership for a period of time. So all of this might not matter, if they get kicked out its tattie bye byes. In that situation i have no idea what would happen.

Guest Gladstone

I think what happens if Rangers have their membership suspended is that one club from each division is moved up one division, leaving a space in Division 3.

This is automatically allocated to NEW DEER FC. Fuck yeah.

I think what happens if Rangers have their membership suspended is that one club from each division is moved up one division, leaving a space in Division 3.

This is automatically allocated to NEW DEER FC. Fuck yeah.

So would that slot be filled by another club, or left open for Rangers to re-apply when the suspension is lifted? One thing i did read was if they were kept in the SPL and suspended that any team due to play them would be instantly awarded 3 points, would that be the same for the SFL?

Guest Gladstone
So would that slot be filled by another club, or left open for Rangers to re-apply when the suspension is lifted? One thing i did read was if they were kept in the SPL and suspended that any team due to play them would be instantly awarded 3 points, would that be the same for the SFL?

Nae fucking idea. I've done enough reading of rules for one day.

It's all academic though - the SPL will bottle it like they always do and vote Rangers into the league.

I'd be great if a team was relegated from the SPL and the SFL just decided not to let them in, so they fell into Scottish football purgatory and were forced to wander the earth on their team bus forever more, in search of games.

I've reckoned all along that demotion to the West Of Scotland juniors would be ideal: they can sign a pile of 42 year old mercs who played for Ayr United in the mid-90's, give fat Sally a run out, and enjoy phyrric back to back victories in the Rusting Shipyard Metals cup over titans of the game like Sauchie Juniors and Neilston FC.

So long!

Following the CVA defeat, it seems inevitable that Rangers Football Club plc will be put into liquidation, meaning its assets will be removed from the company that has controlled them. Duff and Phelps has agreed with the Charles Green consortium that if the CVA fails, he can have the liquidated assets for £5.5m. They would then belong to a new company, or newco.Mr Green could opt to sell Rangers' training ground, Murray Park

That money will be used by liquidators to pay the cost of running the club while in administration, after which it goes to pay Duff and Phelps' fee, and then to secured creditors. Craig Whyte may claim to have that priority status, but it's open to legal dispute because of the way he secured it. The pot of money then meets any redundancy costs, and finally it's shared between ordinary creditors. Shares, held by 26,000 Rangers fans, will be worthless.

What that then means is a team, probably using the Rangers brand, taking to the field at Ibrox, though it's not so clear who they'll be playing next season. Players and other staff will transfer to the new employer on the same pay and conditions they've had, but they all have a right to refuse the transfer, so Rangers could lose players.

Given that the club has been deficit funded with around £10m per year, redundancies may be necessary, which would be for the owner of the newco to decide. Mr Green could also choose to sell the training ground, Murray Park, as a valuable asset that's not essential to the club. It's possible the terms of the asset sale could see some of the proceeds clawed back by liquidators.

If that plan goes ahead, Mr Green and his consortium can run the club without the debt and litigation. He could still face bills from other football clubs which have not been paid for player transfers. Their debts are different because these creditors have leverage over the new Rangers through football regulations.

Those sanctions from Scottish and European sport regulators are now the main challenge at Ibrox, as they mean Rangers can't qualify for Europe for three years, and it will have to reapply to join the Scottish Premier League, no doubt with conditions attached. If that fails, it faces relegation to the Third Division.