aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

Tie-breaking criteria

If two or more teams are equal on points on completion of the group matches, the following criteria are applied to determine the rankings (according to paragraphs 8.07 and 8.08 of the regulations, and amendment to 8.07 adopted by the UEFA Executive Committee):[40][41]

1. Higher number of points obtained in the matches played between the teams in question;
  2. Superior goal difference resulting from the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
  3. Higher number of goals scored in the matches played between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal on points);
  4. If, after having applied criteria 1 to 3 to more than two teams, two teams still have an equal ranking, criteria 1 to 3 are reapplied exclusively to the matches between the two teams in question to determine the final rankings of the two teams. If this procedure does not lead to a decision, criteria 5 to 10 apply in the order given;
  5. Superior goal difference in all group matches;
  6. Higher number of goals scored in all group matches;
  7. If two teams which are tied in all criteria 1 to 6 play their last group match against each other (i.e., the result is a draw and the two teams have the same number of points, goal difference and goals scored), and provided no other teams within the group have the same number of points, the ranking of the two teams in question is determined by penalty shoot-out. Otherwise, criteria 8 to 10 apply in the order given;
  8. Position in the UEFA national team coefficient ranking system;
  9. Fair play conduct of the teams (final tournament);
  10. Drawing of lots.

So because the current points gained by every team in the matches between Italy/Spain/Croatia are the same (i.e. all draws), tie-break 1 doesn't work.

Tie-break 2 looks at goal difference, which again is the same throughout given all the draws, that doesn't work.

Tie-break 3 works because Italy have scored in their draws between Croatia and Spain, where the Croatia v Spain match is currently 0-0. Therefore between the three teams tied on 5 points, Italy have scored the most goals in the games between those three teams.

It's fucked, I have no idea what's wrong with using simple goal difference. UEFA in their wisdom again, obviously.

Yeah, that's quite clearly nonsense :p

Good, you're here - can I watch Italian football in the UK somewhere next season? Is it on ESPN or something? Are there regular highlights shows etc?

If you're not against TOTALLY LEGITIMATE (HONEST!) streaming from EXTREMELY REPUTABLE WEBSITES RUN BY TOP GENTLEMAN you can watch just about any Serie A game every weekend. As you'd expect, ESPN will focus mostly on the big clubs. The highlights shows on ESPN are good though, but if you ever did want to catch a full 90 minutes of a mid table/relegation zone clash, they are easily found.

• Upvote 1

I think these new head to rules are grossly unfair, it should be goal difference as it always was before. Bloody UEFA and their tampering, they're like pesky bloody kids in Scooby Doo, always interfering. Be sweet if Croatia scored, they certainly had a few good chances.

Croatia could have beaten them therefore Spain look beatable. Spain created very few chances in the match while Croatia had 2 decent shouts for penalties while it was still 0-0. Italy also came close to knocking them off their perch in the first match in the group so it's not at all outlandish for anyone to suggest that maybe they aren't the unstoppable footballing machine that they once appeared to be.

good lord how irritating are pundits? Spain have one poor game and now it's all they are 'ordinary' and looking 'beatable'. Pathetic it really is.

Robbie Savage's comment was particularly strange:

Robbie Savage on BBC Radio 5 live

"Germany have been the outstanding team. Nobody's set the world on fire. Spain have tinkered with formations. Spain are beatable, based upon their performance in the group stages. They've won one game in three."

That'll be how they ended up with 7 points Robbie.

my point is they are just down on them like a ton of bricks, I suspect its cos England might play them. Sign of a top class team is one which can win ugly. Croatia were very unlucky tonight though. The Spanish played awesome against the Irish but that don't count cos the Irish were so awful... swings n roundabouts is the old footy game!

The commentator on BBC One last night was awful. Normally not bad in the grand scheme of things but he kept getting things wrong. Must've said 'David Villa' instead of 'David Silva' about one hundred times (at least) called 'Corluka', 'Eduardo' by mistake and then called 'Srna', 'Vida' (who had already been subbed) near the end. AND THAT'S JUST SCRATCHING THE SURFACE.

Christ, it really annoys me that these people get what is, frankly, an ace job and don't do it properly. It's like seeing a spelling error in a newspaper or the BBC website. Totally unacceptable to me.

/rant

• Upvote 1

Good game last night, completely and utterly ruined by wannabe bog-dweller Mick McCarthy's partisan commentary.

Late on, Balotelli rode a clumsy challenge then was hacked down by Sean St Donkey - "Eeh, there were nowt in that" remarked the inciteful Mr McCarthy.

A board restructure is exactly what the club needs. It's been poorly run from the top for too many years now, hopefully this will see a change in the way the club is managed and how it interacts with supporters. Just need Duncan Fraser to fuck off now, too.

On a side note, I wonder if there has been a disagreement on the board about how to handle the Rangers situation/which way to vote? I dunno if that's likely to have forced anyone to step away but it may have played a part?