aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

As if we didn't already know Joey Barton was a prick:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/apr/04/joey-barton-thiago-silva-twitter

This quote from Thiago Silva is great:

"There is a Marseille player, I cannot remember his name, an Englishman, who has said bad things about Neymar and Brazilian football, and also about [David] Beckham and [Zlatan] Ibrahimovic.

"Because no one is talking about him, it seems it is fun for him to criticise great players for people to know he exists."

I watched the Tottenham game, and there were a couple of things that surprised me.

Firstly, the Tottenham fans' expectations before the match. As the match progressed, it seemed evident that they thought the match would be very comfortable and that their "superior quality" would shine through. What the fuck? Basel have a much stronger contemporary pedigree in Europe than Tottenham Hotspur have, and the posturing by Tottenham's manager before the game seemed a little misplaced. Who do Tottenham think they are? If they had done their research, they would have known that Basel are a very neat and tidy football team, with blistering pace and a seemingly collective low centre of gravity; the way they caressed and controlled the ball in advanced positions really impressed me. They are a fluid side who are very capable of mixing their patterns of play, and they have one or two excellent outlets for a more forceful and direct approach, which they interspersed into their attacking play at various periods during the game. Marco Streller is totally dominant in the air. Why did Tottenham not line up to counter this? It's European football - you can't just expect your opponents to worry about you; you must worry about your opponents and look to thwart their strongest outlets, in addition to taking advantage of any weaknesses. This approach seemed a little lost on AVB last night.

Spurs have two very, very blatant deficiencies; which will see them fall out of the top four by the end of the season in my opinion. Firstly, they need to inject some genuine pace and agility into the central defensive area. I like Dawson and I like Vertonghen - both are excellent defenders, but both have a chronic lack of pace (and, just as importantly, acceleration). William Gallas, though. That guy just has no redeeming footballing features anymore. Tottenham are very vulnerable to counter-attacking football, and Basel really ought to have won comfortably last night - they spurned several excellent opportunities to add to their two goals.

Secondly, Emmanuel Adebayor. This guy just mopes around like a permanently pissed off giraffe. In my opinion, despite his goal, he was a liability for Spurs last night. He just lacks any real and genuine guile for a forward player, and he's very laconic. Tottenham need to strengthen their striking options over the summer if they are to progress.

In general, I was massively unimpressed with Tottenham last night, apart from Mousa Dembele, who I felt had a solid game. Scott Parker just seems completely pointless to me. Sure, he's the midfield pivot and keeps the ball moving and all that, but he's just a bit of a puffy player. Very little grace and elegance, but lots of aimless running. I know the media have salivated over him in the past, but I just don't get what the fuss is around him. He's just a very average English Premier League holding midfielder.

Tottenham have pleasantly surprised me on the whole this season, as has AVB. Indeed, AVB has proved me wrong for the most part, as I had him down to completely fail with Tottenham, but he's maintaining the level they were at last season, and for Spurs, I think that is impressive given their relatively modest size in comparison to Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, and possibly even Manchester City. 

I hope the return leg is on telly, I really enjoyed watching Basel again.

• Upvote 4

The Scott Parker miss was all the LOLs.

Bale's injury looked like a bad 'un. It's ungood when the shin and the ankle form a right-angle like that. I bet it's all purple today.

Basel looked good. I remember United getting mocked for not beating them last season, and that was when they had their best player, Shaqiri, who's now at Bayern. They're still a fine team though. That front 3 were just a menace.

There is just something about Spurs i hate now a days. Its the arrogance i think, Bale is wonderful player, but he comes across as a complete cunt, and his diving antics dont help. I quite like AVB at times, but last night again his arrogance was their out doing. Just something about that club. 

I've never been a fan of Adebayor. He's never really scored a great goal or done something wonderful. He seems to clatter about with the stability of a newborn bambi scuffiling balls into to the back of the net.

I have however been a fan of this picture for a while.

Adebayor_wallpaper.jpg

I don't even know what's happening. Is he attempting a tackle or being shot out of a cannon?

• Upvote 1

I don't like Adebayor much either, but he's definitely done some wondrous things on the pitch. Not so many for Spurs, but for Arsenal, and early into his time at City he certainly did plenty, unfortunately. The picture above is a foul by Seedorf, impeding Ade's foot with his hand. Straight red, if you ask me.

Bale's a bit of a diver sometimes, but I don't think he comes across as a bad guy. He seems incredibly humble for someone who is being raved about so highly. I think since AVB has taken over, I don't mind Spurs. They are certainly more likeable now than under Harry. They are a great team, and have so many players I like; Sigurdsson, Dembele, Big Bad Brad, Parker, AzzA_L3nn0n_blud, Vertonghen. The only reason I don't like Bale is because he's too bleedin' good, so he can do one.

I'd rather Spurs pushed for the title over the two lottery-winning, oil-rich behemoths. Fuck those lot.

• Upvote 1

But Daniel Levy...what an absolute jockstrap that guy is.

Why? He's a very astute businessman who won't be bullied into selling players without it being on his terms. Probably one of the best business based chairman in the entire EPL. He's largely responsible for turning Spurs into the team they are right now.

Why? He's a very astute businessman who won't be bullied into selling players without it being on his terms. Probably one of the best business based chairman in the entire EPL. He's largely responsible for turning Spurs into the team they are right now.

I am just not a fan of the way he conducts his business. Extremely astute he may well be (in fact, his supposed wealth would indicate that he's exceptionally astute), but the way he treats players as commodities and always has to have the final fucking say in any deal, irritates me massively. His primary aim in all of his endeavours appears to be the generation of profit. And I have a bit of a problem with that - it never sits well with me as a motivational factor for anything. I understand that it suits the capitalist business world, but I am more interested in things aside from profiteering and propagation and maintenance of self-power.

It's just a personal clash of morals and values, I suppose.

My tuppence on last night:

I disagree entirely about Vertonghen having a lack of pace, he can move and is actually pretty agile. His problem is Gallas or Dawson's lack of place and an inability to be in two places at the one time. However, what Dawson lacks in pace he more than makes up for in positional sense. I really don't know if Gallas has just forgotten how to play football, he's continually out of position and caught on the back foot. I don;t know what Caulker has/hasn't done in training recently as he's miles better than Gallas and Dawson.

Naughton caused all sort of problems down the right by coming too far forward last night and not having the pace to get back to cover when Basel's wide men dropped into the space he should've been in.

The three best players on the pitch last night were Dembele, Parker and Holtby. Parker and Holtby just seem to want to get stuck in everywhere, they're both happy to track back and seem to have absolutley tireless engines. Fair enough Parker hasn't got much in the way of "end product" shooting-wise, but he can't be blamed for the ball striking Holtby's feet when he was on the deck, a striker would've lifted it up over but Parker isn't a striker, he's a defensive midfielder.

Dembele seems to be the perfect replacement for Modric but with a much greater physical presence and he also seems to want the ball at his feet all the time, i'd be inclined to play him behind Defoe/Adebayor if Sandro was fit.

Adebayor is infuriating, he clearly has footballing ability but he seems to only turn it on when he wants. Last season he wanted that contract, this year he's looked like he couldn't be arsed. He can fuck off in the summer if we can find someone (probably in Russia) to take him off our hands.

It's a pity that Defoe hasn't maintained a better level of fitness this season as when he's been on form he's be great but he's had to cover for the fact that Adebayor has disappeared and there are no other options which highlights when he's had an off game or two.

Bale had a bit of a stinker last night all round, he's just not suited to that "in the hole" role that AVB seems to want to play him in at the moment, he's much better pulling people out to the left, the opposition effectively need to push two people out wide to compensate for his pace and ball control which leaves gaps for Defoe/Adebayor.

I am just not a fan of the way he conducts his business. Extremely astute he may well be (in fact, his supposed wealth would indicate that he's exceptionally astute), but the way he treats players as commodities and always has to have the final fucking say in any deal, irritates me massively. His primary aim in all of his endeavours appears to be the generation of profit. And I have a bit of a problem with that - it never sits well with me as a motivational factor for anything. I understand that it suits the capitalist business world, but I am more interested in things aside from profiteering and propagation and maintenance of self-power.

It's just a personal clash of morals and values, I suppose.

Fair enough, one of the reasons that I like him is that he's brought amazing stability to Spurs financially since he took over the running of the club and his strict control of wages and transfer deals constantly means that we're living within our means and not being bullied into selling low or buying high.

My tuppence on Vertonghen is that he is a really good player and he doesn't have a problem for pace.  In fact for a defender he's good decent speed.  However he is inclined to a jaunt forward, which is great if you have people who can cover for you as your CB partner.  He doesn't though and he doesn't seem to change his game to fix that.

Gallas was awful last night and all season really.  He should have been sent off for the pull back on the Basel striker running in on a through ball when he was already on a yellow.  Dawson is also criminally slow so although as Phil said he's got good positional sense he doesn't have the pace to cover the gaps left by Vertonghen and his own area as well.

Everton on Sunday without Bale and Defoe should be interesting for Spurs.

EDIT: and Lennon, forgot he got injured as well.

Edited by Captain America

My tuppence on Vertonghen is that he is a really good player and he doesn't have a problem for pace.  In fact for a defender he's good decent speed.  However he is inclined to a jaunt forward, which is great if you have people who can cover for you as your CB partner.  He doesn't though and he doesn't seem to change his game to fix that.

Gallas was awful last night and all season really.  He should have been sent off for the pull back on the Basel striker running in on a through ball when he was already on a yellow.  Dawson is also criminally slow so although as Phil said he's got good positional sense he doesn't have the pace to cover the gaps left by Vertonghen and his own area as well.

Everton on Sunday without Bale and Defoe should be interesting for Spurs.

EDIT: and Lennon, forgot he got injured as well.

Lennon and Defoe might be fit. I'm pretty sure that Lennon was being overly cautious last night when he came off but Defoe should be fit for the bench at least. Gallas is very doubtful though thank fuck. 

Newcastle pissed me off last night. Played well, took the lead, conceded an equalizer, coped well when they rallied, then Santon plays one of the worst backpasses I've ever seen and Steven Taylor loses control of his brain for a fraction of a section. Boom, 3-1 loss.

We're probably out, which is a shame. I don't like Pardew at all, but he's set us out perfectly in most of our European ties. We need to win 2-0 or better. They'll probably score, their forwards are dead good, but I think we will as well. Their defenders look really bad, particularly Almeida, whoever he is. Please, footballing hipsters of the internet, let me know. You've probably seen him play 400 times anyway.

Fulham at the weekend. Perfectly winnable, as long as Pardew doesn't fart about with weird systems. 4-2-3-1. Krul passes to the defence, the defence passes to Cabaye, Cabaye passes to Sissoko/Cisse/Jonas/Gouffran. Perch or Anita do tackles and stuff. Taylor fistpumps and winds the 'keeper up. Santon gets skinned and looks pretty. Simpson masquerades as a footballer. That's how you win a game of football.

• Upvote 2