aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

That guy is my idol. Unsurprisingly  his return to goalscoring form has coincided with Pardew not playing him on the wing and setting-up with a lone striker system that plays to his strengths. Who would have known?!

Benfica Thursday, Mackems Sunday. HUGE WEEK. I'm gonna have The Blaydon Races on repeat all week while watching videos of Shola fall over and get tackled. CANNIT WAIT.

• Upvote 1

Man, i's so bad, it looks photoshopped, like when someone pastes the 'troll' face onto the photo of a person. But no, it's just Phil. What a mug.

He's not a bad looking boy when standing still, but as soon as he's remotely deprived of oxygen, a portal to hell is opened up, and his own face is replaced with the face of the antichrist.

Well in some ways it is.  All the players they brought in this year have been flops.  Javi Garcia has been a sub par DM at best, Rodwell was a total non factor and Maicon looked useless in the games he's played.

They sold Balotelli because of the dramas and didn't bring anyone in to cover his loss.  Subsequently he's been brilliant in Italy so probably not a great move.

I almost forgot about Sinclair.  That's how much of a factor he's been, so yeah they handicapped themselves from the get go.

That said, if Fergie had that Citeh squad he would have won the league easily so it's not a great excuse but you can see where he's coming from.

Well, Bobby himself said he felt let down because he didn't get to sign his two leading targets. Welcome to football, Bobby. Even with all the riches, you can't land every player you want. Manchester United's two leading targets were Eden Hazard and Lucas Moura, but Fergie missed out on both. RVP seemed impossible because Wenger would usually never sell to United, but it eventually came off. He wasn't on United's radar for a large portion of the summer, until Wenger finally admitted Van Persie was definitely off.

Mancini not landing his two top targets doesn't excuse him making poor panic-buys in Rodwell, Sinclair and Garcia. Considering the man gets to wield the company credit card without care, he had plenty of opportunity to sought good alternatives and attempt to pry them away, especially as the Hazard ordeal was sorted relatively quickly.

Looking at their squad, that set of individuals should be challenging for everything, but they've lacked a killer instinct and a winning mentality, perhaps lacking in motivation to defend the title. Mancini can't blame that on not getting buy who he wanted. He has the best squad in the league, and he has failed to get them raring to go. He'd probably walk away with the title if they managed to get RVP, Hazard, De Rossi and Agger like he wanted, and he probably wouldn't really have to do all that much to get them there. Without them, their squad is still better than Chelsea and United in terms of individuals. They've just lacked consistency when it counted.

• Upvote 1

I see Man City's problem being that with the squad they had they couldn't buy players at the inflated prices they would've been forced into due to the likely outcome that it would unbalance the dressing room with extreme squad rotation/bench warming. This meant that they had to buy squad players like Sinclair who'd be likely to be happy to take a wage and an opportunity to play every now and then without winging to the press/agents about it. Due to the teams stature (up until recently, and maybe even now) you wouldn't aspire to play for Man City if you were playing in the EPL, so wages would also be higher as a result and you can't bench high earners as easily and justify it to the board/fans (see Balotelli and the more likely reason he was sold).

I actually rate Rodwell as well, i just think he's not had enough games and suffered from injury off and on this season. I'd have him at Spurs in a shot.

I do like Rodwell. When he's had a string of games, he looks very reasonable. He looks to be made of glass though, and probably not the best timing to be moving when he hadn't even established himself in Everton's first team yet, even when fit.

Seems to be too many English players who are so injury prone too. Rodwell, Gibbs, Phil Jones, Wilshere. These kids need to toughen up!

It wasn't that good a game to watch last night, Barca look so toothless without Messi.  I guess we used up our quota of Champions League drama with the Dortmund game the night before!

How annoying is Jordi Alba getting, any time he gets the slightest foul he goes over like he's been shot and rolls about for 10 minutes.  Embarrassing.

Meanwhile back in skintland it looks like the league reconstruction is as good as dead, barring a miracle when it comes to the vote.  Oh and Rangers are circling the plughole again with Whyte confirmed as being linked with Green and the police carrying out various raids yesterday relating to the club.

Interesting times.

I was against the league reconstruction for a long time because the proposed format is just stupid.  But more recently I've decided I can live with a stupid format in the short term - it can be changed easily, if it means we get the big issues like a pyramid system and single administrative body in place.  Unfortunately it looks like this is going to be scuppered by the moronic 11-1 voting system which for some reason is going to be carried through to the new structure.  Not really sure how in a new league body comprising of all the senior clubs the SPL's crappy voting rules still make it through.

The voting structure for me is the absolute key change that needs to be made initially.

Obviously the ideal is a larger top division, single administrative body, pyramid system as per Chris' post above. I say obviously - why is it obvious to Scottish football fans but not to the people who are making decisions about the game?  :nono:

• Upvote 1