aberdeen-music

2012/2013 Season Thread

Scootray

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20498423

Former Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley absolute failure, Brian Laws, described his teams defending "as bad as the holocaust" in Scunthorpe's 4-0 defeat to Doncaster.

Him and Pardew should be pundits, where they just sit in a studio doing Alan Partridge style commentary.

"Shit! Did you see that?"

• Upvote 1

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20498423

Former Sheffield Wednesday and Burnley absolute failure, Brian Laws, described his teams defending "as bad as the holocaust" in Scunthorpe's 4-0 defeat to Doncaster.

Him and Pardew should be pundits, where they just sit in a studio doing Alan Partridge style commentary.

"Shit! Did you see that?"

That's obviously awful and everything, but it's also ABSOLUTELY AMAZING.

If it happens, it probably needs to be rebranded, to something like "The Big, Fuck Off European Kickabout" because it's not a Champions League, and allowing the team that finishes 7th in the Premier League to compete in the "Champions League" sort of ruins the point. It technically hasn't been a 'Champions' league for ages, so it's probably a due a re-think anyway.

I don't think it's the worst idea, as nobody seems to give a stuff about the Europa League anymore. The qualifying rounds would be HUGE though, if leagues are having 5-7 teams being seeded, I imagine a big chunk of those will be put into preliminary rounds, so you don't get the likes of Bohemians playing Real Madrid in the first round proper.

I think the disadvantage is that it's going to be further protection for the big clubs. I can only guess that the usual Top 3/4 in the division will automatically qualify for the first round proper, and everyone else will have to go through qualifying, and the seeded teams will be spread amongst more groups. No more groups of death, but I suppose more chance of a possible upset.

It has pros and cons. I'd rather they went the other way, reducing the amount of teams in the Champions League, so the teams that aqualify for the Europa League are teams that finish 3rd and 4th in their domestic league, instead of teams that finish 6th and 7th or win a crappy domestic trophy that nobody else wanted to win. I think that would reinvest interest in the Europa League, by eliminating alot of shite teams from it.

Rabble rabble rabble!

I don't mind that the Champions League is catered to the armchair viewer. It televises games you wouldn't really get the chance to go see any other way, and teams you don't get to see very often unless you are scouting out domestic foreign streams. The current set up is a good competition, and even then, there are probably enough clubs who can be described as 'minnows' or whatever. I don't think they need to increase the amount of lesser teams involved. If anything, the competition could be trimmed a little, rather than expanded.