aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

I'm not a fan of Nasri either, but surely he will win more trophies with City than Arsenal in the long run. Even over the next couple of seasons. City have finished above them this year, they will probably win more trophies than the Arsenal in the 'next few years, and of course he will be on better money. From his perspective, it was probably a good move.

Agreed it's pointless buying from City though.

He probably/definitely will, but for me, his contribution is minimal. He's not top of the pecking order like he was at Arsenal. If Silva is fit, probably won't play. I think Nasri would have done very well at Arsenal, taking over the Fabregas role. He's shit out wide, and that's where he keeps playing for City and is usually anonymous. When he plays in the middle, he's good, but there's players ahead of him for that spot. Arsenal would have taken good care of him if he had stayed. If he was set on moving to Manchester, I believe he picked the wrong Manchester club. United are crying out for attacking midfielders, as they currently have ZERO. He probably would have played every week had he picked United. But he didn't, and now he's a fringe player at best.

I wish the game wasn't on so early on Saturday. I have a feeling I wont be in the best of spirits for it.

I'm driving so at least I'll not be hungover.... I normally need a drink to watch the Dons though, this will be a new experience.

If anyone needs a lift by the way I have a spare spot in the car as Gumpy is no longer coming to the game.

I had a look back at the comments on this board around the time of Hughton being sacked and Pardew being appointed because I seem to remember the chat being along the lines of Pardew not being good enough etc. but it turns out that's not really what the Newcastle fans were saying, but more what everyone else was saying. Everyone thought it was a crazy appointment. Here's an insight from Murrr the Newcastle fan. (spoiler tags for size of quotes)

Perhaps ca_gere is onto something with the "Mike Ashley is a genius" possibility...

To begin with a die-hard Newcastle fan like Murrr thought that Hughton was not the right man for the job of taking Newcastle back to the Premier League, but he turned out to be wrong. Hughton was absolutely the man to take the team back to the Premier League and he did it in some style. He would probably have kept Newcastle up last season, but would he have taken them any further? Nobody knows really.

But then the same fan just can't comprehend why Pardew was given the job when Hughton was going so well. Well, so far that appointment has turned into an absolute master stroke too.

Pardew will get Newcastle into the Champions League and then Ashley will sack him and give the job to someone who does not look like the man for the job and then that manager will lead Newcastle to winning the league and Champions League. Then he will get sacked and replaced with someone who doesn't look like the man to take Newcastle onto footballing world domination... etc. etc.

Then after all that, he'll fuck it all up and Newcastle will go bust.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, aye. I can say at this point that I am a lot more satisfied with Mike Ashley as our owner today than I was 12 months ago, but that doesn't forgive some of the things he's done. The way he's ran our finances and improved our scouting network/transfer philosophy has been brilliant.