aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Yeah but the general consensus was still 'he's not good enough for the club.' Which is/was obviously untrue.

You can't go all captain hindsight on our asses by saying that he's done a really good job so you should all, obviously, have known better than to question the appointment when it happened. That's ridiculous.

I'm not saying it's a case of him doing a great job therefore everyone should've known. It's more that the idea of him not being up to the standard of the club was ridiculous. Fans seemed to think they'd get mourinho or something. He was a perfectly good option at that time, befitting of the club's position and stature.

First time i've seen that goal in a while. Schmeichael's positioning is fucking mental. Amazing lob but as an older, wiser football fan who only saw the HOLY FUCK CENTER HALF LOBS SCHMEICHAEL aspect of it in my younger days, that goal is as much the keeper's fault as it is a great shot.

Must have started to walk towards the tunnel for a bath. Game over.

I'm not saying it's a case of him doing a great job therefore everyone should've known. It's more that the idea of him not being up to the standard of the club was ridiculous. Fans seemed to think they'd get mourinho or something. He was a perfectly good option at that time, befitting of the club's position and stature.

Folk thought that if they were ditching Hughton, who they liked, for no good reason then they must have someone special lined up. They did, apparently, but it didn't seem like it at the time.

• Upvote 1

No one likes losing a fan favourite, but nobody can predict the future either. I think Newcastle fans were fair to be upset by Hughton being axed, and Pardew's previous record isn't that good either, but he's come up trumps, made great signings and done very very well. It happens at plenty of clubs. United loved Carlos Tevez. Nobody wanted him to go. United fans were outraged when he did go, but then he turned out to be an unrelenting tossbag and a complete scab. A good decision in the end, because the lad is proper mental, though at United he seemed 1000% committed, just as he did in his first season at City. Then he imploded and became a massive cunt.

Bullshit. As Woods said it was more to do with the treatment of Hughton. I didn't think Pardew was right for the club but no one i know thought he wasn't "big" enough for the club.

• Upvote 1

Complete toot, that. Find me one Newcastle fan who thought we had a chance of getting Mourinho and I'll eat my cat (I like my hat too much). The initial outrage at Pardew's appointment was 100% justified, as he was coming off a terrible stint with Southampton and Hughton had done an excellent job. In hindsight, it was a good decision, but that doesn't mean we weren't justified in our rage at the time.

... and we are fucking brilliant at the moment. Ben Arfa finally looks like he's realised there are 10 other players on the team, what a special talent. Ba has gone from being our go-to guy for goals to a hold-up/build-up machine and Cisse is ace at the tip of the spear, reminds me so much of Andy Cole. Coloccini, Tiote, Jonas and Cabaye are all "the boy." Even Perch has been playing way above his level recently. Santon will be better when we pie Simpson and switch the Jesmond Maldini back to his natural right hand side. Europe would be lovely next season, but I'm not expecting it. A couple of quality signings this summer and we'll be quality. Relegation completely changed the way I support my team, but this is the best I've felt about Newcastle since Bobby's better years. Howay the lads, and all that.

• Upvote 1

Ben Arfa is ace, and always has been ace. Really surprised United or Arsenal didn't go for him. Genuinely one of the most naturally talented footballers on the planet. He had so much trouble with his temper and his general respect. I don't really know how much of an issue that has been at Newcastle, but in France he was pure mental. He seems to have calmed down and turned into a team player. I also like how he just seems to do whatever he wants. Positions himself wherever he wants, and just gets involved in whatever he feels like. It's as if Pardew writes down the team sheet in the formation on a whiteboard, hands Ben Arfa the pen and lets him write where he wants to play. Ben Arfa probably just writes his name really big over the whole team.

Fuuuuck! I switched over because I predicted a 0-0 in my head. Damn. Did Lansbury come on in goals? I knew he filled in there one day but Big Sam has now stopped putting a sub keeper on the bench because Lansbury can do both, apparently? Mental. I wonder if he has a keepers shirt printed up with his name/number as well as a regular shirt.

Despite my reservations about attending Cambridge v Kettering it was the easiest three points we gained all season, how on earth we only scored two is beyond me. Even better their keeper was sent off and they had to use an outfield player in goal, we should have won 10-0 and there is our problem this season, an inability to stick the ball in the net.

Great result for Norwich this afternoon, Lambert has done a fantastic job there!

To be fair I did see/hear some "not big enough" outrage chat going around at the time but it was balanced by a good amount of "I'm not happy about him but he's our guy now so we should give him our support".

This is my point. I'm not talking about ALL nufc fans but definitely a lot.

Complete toot, that. Find me one Newcastle fan who thought we had a chance of getting Mourinho and I'll eat my cat (I like my hat too much). The initial outrage at Pardew's appointment was 100% justified, as he was coming off a terrible stint with Southampton and Hughton had done an excellent job. In hindsight, it was a good decision, but that doesn't mean we weren't justified in our rage at the time.

Mourinho was not to be taken literally, but I'll find you plenty of Newcastle fans that thought they'd 'get better than Pardew' for sure.

Mourinho was not to be taken literally, but I'll find you plenty of Newcastle fans that thought they'd 'get better than Pardew' for sure.

Which we were perfectly entitled to expect. Pardew was coming off a mediocre spell with a League Two club, and we were in the Premier League.

Fuuuuck! I switched over because I predicted a 0-0 in my head. Damn. Did Lansbury come on in goals? I knew he filled in there one day but Big Sam has now stopped putting a sub keeper on the bench because Lansbury can do both, apparently? Mental. I wonder if he has a keepers shirt printed up with his name/number as well as a regular shirt.

Nah he played outfield for a change and was just all over the pitch. Great effort. West Ham could have had 3 penalties as well instead of just 1. Was a great game to watch looked like WH had pulled back into the game just before half time after being 2-0 down but Brum got another before half time so it was 3-1 going in. Second half was just manic and ace.