aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Football has turned good again, City getting beaten, Spurs imploding, Newcastle looking like Newcastle and Cisse doing a great Shearer impression, Rangers going tits up, Barca closing the gap to 4 points, the dons winning a game. Good few days all round i say!

They're looking like the exact opposite of what Newcastle normally do. Actually likable for the first time in years.

Remember how pissed off most Newcastle fans were when Pardew was given a 5-year deal and all the abuse fat Mike got? That's the only thing that bugs me about them coming good. Fickle fans are annoying. Their transformation has been astonishing thought. They really look like a great side for once. I hope they start to attract a few more star players and turn into a real force. With the fanbase they have, European nights again would be fantastic.

I wouldn't say it was a case of fans being fickle. The reaction against Pardew when he came in was borne out of the circumstances regarding Chris Hughton getting the sack. Hughton was hella popular with the fans so whoever came in after him (unless it was a well liked ex-player not named Shearer) was going to have to work hard to win the crowd over. Pardew's done exactly that and deserves all the praise he's getting now from fans and non fans alike.

• Upvote 1

They're looking like the exact opposite of what Newcastle normally do. Actually likable for the first time in years.

Aye but old Newcastle teams were great to watch, and they were most peoples second club, not so much in the last few years. Hopefully it continues as Newcastle have a fantastic fan base!

It's almost 20 years since the last time they were likable. They certainly weren't at any point when Shearer was with them.

Nonsense! They played some amazing football when Shearer was there, the Keegan time wasnt even 20 years ago!! Even Sir Bobby's teams were decent to watch with a young Bellamy and others before they imploded in on themselves.

It has been 20 years since Keegan became Newcastle manager. I remember it well - helicopter on the pitch and all sorts. I went to see them for the first time in August '92 against West Ham during his first full season in charge. I remember is Julian Dicks being sent off and that it finished 2-0 to Newcastle. Couldn't tell you who scored though.

I wouldn't say it was a case of fans being fickle. The reaction against Pardew when he came in was borne out of the circumstances regarding Chris Hughton getting the sack. Hughton was hella popular with the fans so whoever came in after him (unless it was a well liked ex-player not named Shearer) was going to have to work hard to win the crowd over. Pardew's done exactly that and deserves all the praise he's getting now from fans and non fans alike.

Yeah but the general consensus was still 'he's not good enough for the club.' Which is/was obviously untrue.

Remember how pissed off most Newcastle fans were when Pardew was given a 5-year deal and all the abuse fat Mike got? That's the only thing that bugs me about them coming good. Fickle fans are annoying. Their transformation has been astonishing thought. They really look like a great side for once. I hope they start to attract a few more star players and turn into a real force. With the fanbase they have, European nights again would be fantastic.

Yeah proper fickle, the attendences are pretty fucking good for one of the poorest parts of the country.

• Upvote 1

Nothing to hate about Bobby. Shearer was great too. Turned down Manchester United to join his hometown club, and United were untouchable back then. Fair play to Shearer. They were great with Shearer and Ferdinand up top. Faustino Asprilla was a character too. He's the man Mario Balotelli is trying to be, and failing. Then there was Peter Beardsley's second spell in the mid 90's. You can't hate Beardsley, surely? Possibly the only likeable ex-Liverpool player there is. And the Ginola years. If you hate Ginola then you might as well be dead. Mid-late 90's Newcastle were awesome.

• Upvote 1

Yeah proper fickle, the attendences are pretty fucking good for one of the poorest parts of the country.

There's fickle in terms of support and then there's fickle in terms of football matters. Chelsea fans are fickle supporters - they disappear when things aren't going well. Newcastle fans will always turn out in numbers but were all-out finger pointing at everyone and anyone when they were sliding fast. What's Mike done differently this season? Or was the backwards step necessary in order to take this giant leap? Is he a genius?

First time i've seen that goal in a while. Schmeichael's positioning is fucking mental. Amazing lob but as an older, wiser football fan who only saw the HOLY FUCK CENTER HALF LOBS SCHMEICHAEL aspect of it in my younger days, that goal is as much the keeper's fault as it is a great shot.