aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Are the Scottish womens team even professionals? I thought all the top UK female players went to the USA where they had a pro league but that folded recently so everyone is back to semi-pro. Some of the top female players were actually technically pretty decent from what I remember. The biggest problem was always the goalkeepers, they were almost without exception useless.

Did anything in my post suggest he is? I just used him as the highest profile example at the moment.

Arrigo Sacchi never played professionally (a little bit more "well known" than AVB- depends how old you are i guess). Carlos Alberto Parreira, Miroslav Blazevic, Roy Hodgson barely played football above amateur status and Avram Grant as well.

I was watching a bit of womens football late last night and got me to thinking: could I assemble a team from folk I have a leisurely kick about with and defeat the Scotttish women's team? In danger of sounding like a big smelly, male chauvanist, I just can't see how a team of top female side could take on a team of men that can play a bit of football and aren't fat and old. This is based on what I've seen of women's football. Does this make me a terrible cunt?

You could distract them at corner kicks with gossip. It would be easy.

I watched the women's World Cup final last year and the passing and movement was pretty good. They are slower and weaker than men though and they can't take the ball down on their chest because of their breasts. The goalies are laughably bad.

I think your hypothetical would be dependent a lot on fitness.

You could distract them at corner kicks with gossip. It would be easy.

I watched the women's World Cup final last year and the passing and movement was pretty good. They are slower and weaker than men though and they can't take the ball down on their chest because of their breasts. The goalies are laughably bad.

I think your hypothetical would be dependent a lot on fitness.

I don't fancy your chances...

Arsne Wenger only played 12 professional games, Fergie played his entire career in Scotland, he did play for the huns for a while and was touted for a move to Nottm Forest but Mrs Fergie was having none of that apparently.

There's very few top players become top managers though it does happen of course - Martin O'Neill springs to mind.

Guest Gladstone

So, yeah - Celtic in the English leagues? The current squad would be punching above their weight if they even made it into the top half. They'd do well to avoid a relegation battle in the PL. I reckon they'd do well in the long term though with their fanbase and all round worldwide money-making stuff. Some billionaire would probably wade in and they'd end up taking over the world.

It will never fucking happen though because England don't want Celtic in their league. Why would they? They're doing just fine as it is without a team from Glasgow coming in and shaking things up.

A more realistic question (although I don't actually think this will happen etiher) is what will happen to Scottish Football if Rangers disappear off the face of the earth? Celtic in the short term would piss on everyone from a great height, but their revenue stream would be lessened without all the old firm hype / sponsorship etc. Could some of the smaller clubs survive without 3/4 matches against Rangers a season? I genuinely think Scottish football would be a better place if Rangers just got to fuck. It would be more competitive. The rest of the SPL would be better able to close the gap on Celtic (more because Celtic would fall back towards them than the other way round), different teams would get a chance in Europe now and again (as well as the fact that the Rangers faithful would no longer be able to go around tearing up cities around Europe (or at least the Chelsea fans would have to go around in Motherwell tops for a change)).

I think it would be good if Rangers just shut up shop. The fans could still go round to Ibrox every week to watch McCoist eat pies or something. It would keep them out of everyone else's way. And at the same time, the whole of Scottish football could have a revamp and change to two teams of 20 or something like that. There will no longer be 6-8 games versus the old firm to grasp onto and who wants to play Rangers these days anyway when the cunts don't pay their bills?? You get more money out of a match against Peterheed than a match against Rangers at the moment.

Samba has been sold to the impossible to spell megabucks Russian club that bought Eto'o, Can't help but think that puts them in a precarious situation after just climbing out of the relegation zone. Arshavin has also gone on loan to Zenit St Petersburg until July. The good news is Wenger can no longer waste subsitutions on him!

Samba has been sold to the impossible to spell megabucks Russian club that bought Eto'o, Can't help but think that puts them in a precarious situation after just climbing out of the relegation zone.

This is a grim day for all fans of shit-kicking Premier League defenders everywhere. I am sad.

Word is that Jonjo Shelvey is coming to Teesside on loan for the rest of the season after the Carling Cup final on Sunday. I reckon this is probably going to mean the end of Kevin Thomson in a Middlesbrough shirt barring injury (to someone other than Thomson). He's been a total liability this season when he's played.

He's still u.g.l.y.

He ain't got no alibi.

• Upvote 2