aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Woah I just had to check the table after reading that. Juve are unbeaten but Milan are still 1 point ahead (having played 1 more game) despite losing 4 times. Those draws are killing the old lady.

Milan vs. Juve on Saturday night, live on ESPN. Can't wait. Serie A has been quality this season. I reckon it'll be Milan for the title, but Conte's Juve are a sight to behold.

Juve are a rock at the back. They just don't concede. They've been a bit complacent in certain games though, and cautious against the big teams. Juve have the game in hand though. That could be crucial. I hope they win it.

It's a shame Palermo have fallen away a bit after the loss of the money grabbing scab to PSG. Their home form is still mega though.

Best Serie A season for ages.

Juventus this season are the embodiment of Antonio Conte the player, basically. Tough, gritty, uncompromising, hard-working and subtly elegant. Buffon is the boss. Lichsteiner and Barzagli are playing the best football of their careers at the back and Chiellini is obviously good. Good blend of forwards up front with Matri, Vucinic, Quagliarella, Borriello (chortle) and Del Piero. Their biggest strength is the midfield though. Marchisio, Pirlo and Vidal have been absolutely outstanding and they're all great at different things (well, Vidal and Marchisio are quite similar tbh).

Their biggest problem, imo, is creativity. They have Pirlo who is a genius, but it's a bit patchy elsewhere. Vucinic is capable of brilliance one minute and complete shite the next. Del Piero is old and ting. Milos Krasic hasn't been good since 2010. Emanuele Giaccherini looks like a good prospect, but he's probably not ready to play week-in week-out for the Old Lady. If they fail to win the title this season it'll be because they don't have enough creativity in advanced positions. Their transfer policy thus far has focused around building a solid, deep squad (and they've achieved that, imo) but the next step has got to be buying a world class wide forward or two.

I love Serie A. Could rabbit on and on about it all day.

Juve are a rock at the back. They just don't concede. They've been a bit complacent in certain games though, and cautious against the big teams. Juve have the game in hand though. That could be crucial. I hope they win it.

It's a shame Palermo have fallen away a bit after the loss of the money grabbing scab to PSG. Their home form is still mega though.

Best Serie A season for ages.

Wrote about Palermo for Serie A Weekly (cheap plug!) this week, should be posted tonight or tomorrow. They utterly bummed Lazio at the weekend. They're not really the same team without Pastore but Illicic and Bacinovic are good playmakers and Fabrizio Miccoli is an absolute terror. He has something ridiculous like 7 goals and 8 assists in his last 7 games.

dunno why but since starting at royal mail I always listen to talksport, when I was multi drop driving for city link I listened to radio 2 all day but since getting my new job its talksport all the way. It amazes me how they can continue to rabbit on about one football related subject for hours on end... today Chelsea were talked about all day. I think the problem is the ageing members of the squad such as Lampard and Drogba do not like a young up and coming manager up them one bit, someone who never played the game at a professional level telling them what to do. I dunno if AVB can get rid of the old guard he might end up a success there, on the other hand defeat to Birmingham in the cup and his position might become untenable...

having a good debate/friendly argument with a mate on Facebook about Celtic, I reckon if put in the EPL with the current squad they would struggle against relegation. He says I am talking shit and there are only five good teams in the EPL although he didn't say who. So whose right (or wrong?)

Grassssias Paranoid Android.

Current Celtic team and manager in the premiership - I think they'd struggle in the bottom half. It's difficult to tell because they can only beat what is put in front of them which they do regularly. They did OK against good teams when they sneaked into the Europa League but I think they'd be scrapping it out with Wigan if they were up against quality every week.

More importantly - how would the Dons fare in the Blue Square?

Got to agree with Shaki, although I would put money on a Celtic fan saying they would be aiming for sixth. Reality is that Celtic's current squad are pants and only look good thanks to the reams of shit (sorry guys) in the SPL surrounding them. And they can't even beat Rangers consistently.

Celtic would flourish down south after a few tough years adjusting, they have the set up that could make them a top club, but it clearly wouldnt be an overnight thing, obviously a lot of their current team wouldnt quite be up to that level but what do you expect from a team in Scotland, they are not going to have a team of superstars already, otherwise we wouldnt be having this conversation.