aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

Whilst most folk were wanking over Chelsea's (limited) prospects in the Champions League, I tottered off to the home of toilet football to watch an FA Trophy 3rd Round clash against Guisley, talk about lucky how we won 1-0 I'll never know, still with a quarter final tie at home against Wealdstone to come on Sat (no not heard of them either at least 2 leagues below us), it's a great chance of a nice day out at Wembley come May since our league campaign is falling on it's ass! we can't play any worse on Saturday.

Because that's their name in German anglicised whereas Società Sportiva Calcio Napoli is in Italian and when converted to English doesn't translate to Naples. Why should we call them Naples if the Italians don't...

The Italians call Naples "Napoli" though. Like zee Germans call Munich "München". There is a definite inconsistency here.

The Italians call Naples "Napoli" though. Like zee Germans call Munich "München". There is a definite inconsistency here.

That's not what i mean though, Napoli can be said in English as Napoli whereas München, because of the umlaut (which isn't used in english), is anglicised (using the english alphabet, inflections etc) to Munich. In the same way that Basle (Baal) is spelled and pronounced Basel in English.

• Upvote 1

Napoli were great last night. It's quite a sight to behold how quickly they get the ball from back to front. Nothing fancy either, they just charge forward like a game of playground Bulldog. Really good to watch. They made Chelsea ironically look like pensioners. I hope Napoli's performances against the City and Chelsea this season, as well as Milan's demolition of Arsenal will rid Italian football of it's unwarranted "slow, walking football" stereotype it wrongfully has attached to it. Serie A is mint. They are giving the top sides in the 'best league in the world' a good hiding.

Thing is Chelsea are not out of it yet, that Napoli defence are terrible and could be picked apart at any point, i think if Chelsea get an early goal they will go through.

People need to get off AVB's back tho, Redknapp in the pre match build up really annoyed me, if he took his tongue out of Lampard's crack for a second he would see what AVB is trying to do, and he would see that all Lamps is doing is sulking because he is no longer the top guy at the club, same with Cole last night, if what was reported is true Cole should never play for that club again.

I don't agree their defence is terrible. Gary Neville kept hammering on about how they can't defend, but apart from the one error, which led to an easy slot in for Mata, they dealt with Chelsea pretty well. It was sloppy for Mata's goal, but their positional discipline was very good. They kept all the gaps closed and they clamped down on Chelsea's counter attacks pretty well. Sturridge and Mata were almost always doubled-up on. They work hard, and it's great how they completely shift their formation when they are on and off the ball. Chelsea will have to be sensible if they are to stay in it. If they pile forward, they could get torn apart on the counter. Napoli launch themselves forward so quickly. It could be a goal fest. Can't see Chelsea getting a result, personally. They look awful all over the pitch except for Mata. Sturridge is good, but he's too selfish, shooting from silly angles and losing the ball. Drogba's doesn't look bothered anymore, and Torres is guff. No idea where goals would come from if they are to get them. If anything, their big-haired centre back looks to be their biggest goal threat most of the time. That's not a good sign. Chelsea are shit.

There was one breakaway in the first half where Sturridge was down the right and both defenders who were back came out to meet him. Mata was clean through the middle if he'd just squared it but like you say he took the selfish option. Apart from that though I don't agree their defence was suspect. I wonder if they'll change formation for the second leg to set up more defensively and hit on the counter, which I think could net them goals, goals, goals.

I think you should take your Napoli goggles off for a second there.

Its well known they are dodgy defensively and last night even tho Chelsea barely looked bothered they still caused them issues. They will cause them more problems at SB id imagine.

What i find incredible now is, Arsenal are apparently having a disaster of a season, as are Chelsea, United have been said to be very poor this year, City in recent weeks apparently are struggling. Is anyone in the EPL having a good year? Or is every team except Spurs, Swansea and Norwich having a disastrous year? Are none of these teams allowed a year to change things around?

There was one breakaway in the first half where Sturridge was down the right and both defenders who were back came out to meet him. Mata was clean through the middle if he'd just squared it but like you say he took the selfish option.

I remember that. That's pretty much what I was thinking of. All Sturridge needed to was curl a ball in behind the defence and Mata would have buddled it in somehow, as he is the king at half-volleying difficult passes. He could volley a rugby ball bobbling around on a cobbled road. Sturridge kept going and Cruyff-turned his way into 2 defenders. Too much fannying about.

It's odd how English pundits become so hardline-patriotic when it comes to European football. The way they were speaking about Napoli would have you believe they are shite. It's great when they are proven wrong by underappreciated European footballing powerhouses. Napoli's frontline is devastating.