aberdeen-music

2011/2012 Season Thread

french_disko

That's a myth. Celtic Park is rarely actually full.

Aye but its pretty damm close most weeks, even if its 50,000 a week, against teams like Killie, that is very impressive, move them up a standard of football and i can bet parkhead would be hoaching every week. Put them up against the Uniteds and Chelsea's every week and they would have a 30 year waiting list for season tickets. Celtic is a different beast to any other football club, like Rangers, its not about football, its a way of life, these fans are 100% green and white, put them in one of the worlds top leagues and they would become one of the worlds best. IMO anyway.

Every club has the best fans in the world, its the bullshit clubs spout out to encourage loyalty to the team. At least they are not fucking animals like the Rangers fans in Manchester a few years back.

Dont get me wrong i know the Tims had their tough times before McCann came in and saved the club, but you dont get a 50,000 a week average attendance in a second rate league unless you have a special kind of backing from the fans. Winning or not these folk would turn up if they were down south. Just as importantly the number of fans from outwith Scotland they can attract is huge.

It seems to be a bit of a myth that the TV money from Sky instantly makes any club a hugely successful club who can win it all. Liverpool get 45,000, playing in Europe (sometimes) with a reasonably rich owner, worldwide support and the prestige that comes with being one of the most successful clubs of all time in addition to getting this sought-after Premier League income, and they aren't exactly doing so good. Newcastle get even bigger attendances and they got relegated 2 years ago. Leeds United, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham United; massive clubs with good attendances and Premier League income can still struggle too. I don't think that Celtic will automatically become a success just because of money from Sky. They have a big ground, but they don't seem to fill it. Their squad is poor, so it would take a complete overhaul to compete in the EPL, and that's not easy when good players will be more attracted to teams who are around the top 8 and are playing in Europe. Celtic are competing and getting into Europe right now, and still can't attract good players, so it wouldn't be any easier if they were struggling at the bottom of a division. If anyone is going to wrangle the power away from the Manchester clubs, it's not going to be the Old Firm. It's more than likely going to be Chelsea again in a couple of seasons, or Spurs, if they continue to build as they have done. It takes more than TV money and supporters to compete now. United get 75,000 through the gates and are on telly practically twice a week and that's only a fraction of their income.

It takes more than TV money and supporters to compete now. United get 75,000 through the gates and are on telly practically twice a week and that's only a fraction of their income.

That said - the wordlwide appeal of Celtic as a football club would increase if they were playing in The Best League in the World (TBFITW watching TBLITW - mental - football might explode).

I'm certainly not saying that they would be placed to topple anyone at the top - but given a few years, they would slot in as a comfortable Premier League team IMO. In the same way 'big clubs' can go to shit (see West Ham, Leeds, Nottingham Forest, et al), 'shit' clubs can 'go big' (see Stoke, West Brom, Wigan, Sunderland). It's pretty cyclical, and Celtic have the underlying fanbase and structure to succeed, arguably more so than any of the aforementioned 'shit-to-big' clubs.

Of course its not as simple as get Sky money and win the league. Celtic are one of the WORLDS biggest and most well know clubs, even if they do play in our shitty league. Lets not forget the reason they cannot compete with top teams for players is not because they dont want to play for Celtic, they dont want to play in Scotland. Celtic beat quite a few EPL teams to the likes of Ledly and the welsh lad at the back so that goes a bit to showing their pulling power. The Celtic squad as it is, is not terrible, the likes of Hooper, Ledly, Forster, the welsh full back, the honduras boy at left back, Brown could all get games in the EPL at the moment. Yes it has weaknesses that would obviously need working on, but they have a good core there as it stands. I still stand by what i said, give Celtic 10 years in the EPL and they would be one of the worlds biggest clubs.

But its all heresay anyway because it will never ever happen.

Wednesday don't have a worldwide following? Poppycock. Rivers Cuomo fucking loves the Owls.

I'm biased anyway, as always, because I don't want the Old Firm in English football, and if they do, I hope they totally fail. I don't think they'd ever win the title though, and they'd just probably become a mid table Premier League side who aren't really a threat but is sometimes a tough away day. Like Liverpool. LOL.