aberdeen-music

Favourite War Films?

Guest idol_wild

Guest idol_wild

I love a good war film, me.

Got any favourites?

I am endeavouring to find a cheap copy of A Bridge Too Far, as I tend to prefer the films adapted from actual events. I recently watched Flags of our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima. I thought the latter was excellent.

I have a copy of Platoon staring at me every time I go into the living room.

I love a good war film although I've not watched a lot of the older ones. I think Saving Private Ryan and Days of Glory are up there for me.

The Pianist is mindblowingly good. Not strictly a war film but it's set in the war and it has nazis killing people.

Watched this the other night which is good: Lebanon (2009) - IMDb

I loved Memphis Belle when I was a kid but watched it recently and thought it was keech.

Guest idol_wild

The Pianist was great actually!

I haven't watched many from the Eastern front, but I know I'm going to. I've got a copy of Stalingrad awaiting me.

I still need to indulge in the Western front and the Pacific a bit more.

It's funny when someone says "war films" we pretty much think of contemporary wars. What about historical... like um, Zulu or The Four Feathers? (And you can always watch Heston's Khartoum as the background to the second one) I always liked the American Civil War movie "Glory". Ace film.

The Guns of Navarone

Stalag 17

...and purely for a laugh...

Von Ryan's Express

The Longest Day

M*A*S*H

I'm trying really hard to remember the names of two vietnam films I saw which I thought were excellent. One is about an American troop/plattoon/whatever and one of the guys is responsible for filming footage of the soldiers. I think it has 'charlie' in the name.

The other one is the war seen from the vietcong perspective. I seem to remember it had an element of the paranormal and involved soldiers on an island.

fuck, my memory is bad.

Guest idol_wild
It's funny when someone says "war films" we pretty much think of contemporary wars. What about historical... like um, Zulu or The Four Feathers?

There is a disproportionate number of war films based on contemporary wars compared to those of a more vintage era, so it's quite tricky for the average person to rattle off a lot about war films covering more historical periods.

Besides, most films about more archaic wars are shit. Try:

Waterloo

Zulu

Braveheart

:up: