aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Could I hire a room at Captain Toms for hula hooping? Or does it have to be music-related? (It's 2 minutes from my flat and I need a big-ish room) Just so I don't e-mail and get a "you fucking tit" repsonse.

Phone then on 647500 and ask if Rach is there - she is a very impressive 'hooper' and is quite often there, usually with a dozen or so round her neck or elsewhere.

Phone then on 647500 and ask if Rach is there - she is a very impressive 'hooper' and is quite often there, usually with a dozen or so round her neck or elsewhere.

I don't want a class or anything, just a room to practice in. My chum is a performer, and she's taught me the basics. Thanks though, I'll give them a buzz :)

I don't want a class or anything, just a room to practice in. My chum is a performer, and she's taught me the basics. Thanks though, I'll give them a buzz :)

That's my sister. She's always at Tom's and would be a good person to talk to about getting a room. Good peoples.

Guest Gladstone

Anyone know anything about licensing laws in Scotland? In particular, if I was to put on a gig in a public hall (which I don't think has a premises licence), how would I go about setting up a bar and selling alcohol? (legally of course).

I've done this before for a fundraiser gig, but the British Legion dudes next door supplied the bar and did it for free as it was a fundraiser (and someone else organised it with them, so I didn't know the ins and outs). I want to put on gigs at the village hall and being able to sell alcohol will mean we could potentially afford bigger names because we can add beer money to the ticket sales etc.

I've had a very quick look on the old google and it looks like there are personal licences and occasional licences, but to get a personal licence you need to get training. Just wondered if there was a shortcut for a one off like this or if I would need to go the full way to getting a personal licence (and then I guess I could use it to put on more gigs at the same venue?).

Guest Gladstone
I've got a personal licence, it's a half day course IIRC with a piss easy test at the end.

Has the hall been used before for alcohol related shenanigans?

Yes - it has been used before. It was the same hall that I used for that charity fundraiser thingy - but as I say, that side of things was left to someone else to organise. My job was to get bands to play and organise PA/backline etc and sell tickets!

It's been used hunners o times in the past as well - but licensing laws have probably been changed since the days of my youth.

Guest Gladstone
Is there not some rule that anyone working behind a bar needs to have some kind of personal licence just to be able to sell alcohol?

That surely canna be the case. Think of the millions of students who sell alcohol part time at places like Espionage, Priory etc. I would be surprised if each one of them has a personal licence. I think there needs to be someone on the premises with a licence or with overal responsibility for the premises?

That surely canna be the case. Think of the millions of students who sell alcohol part time at places like Espionage, Priory etc. I would be surprised if each one of them has a personal licence. I think there needs to be someone on the premises with a licence or with overal responsibility for the premises?

It's the same way it works in supermarkets I believe. Only one person needs to be a personal license holder. So as long as one member of staff (usually duty manager or whatever equivalent is) holds one, then it's fine.

Guest Gladstone
It's the same way it works in supermarkets I believe. Only one person needs to be a personal license holder. So as long as one member of staff (usually duty manager or whatever equivalent is) holds one, then it's fine.

Yeah - that's pretty much what I thought for pubs/clubs etc. but what about a public hall?

I will obviously ask the hall keeper (who is just an old guy who lives in the village), but I'm pretty sure there won't be a generic licence for the hall that he is the personal licence holder for the hall. It does look as if I would have to and get myself a personal licence then apply separately each time I want to put something on for an occasional licence, but just checking if anyone on here has personal experience or just knows their shit?

My brother is involved with running the local gala and they used to have the bar provided by a local boozer but she was charging over the odds and giving a pittance back to the gala (which donates all profits to local good causes) so they decided to go it alone. One of the guys there is a personal license holder and so they run the bar through him. He gets a transit van, loads it with booze and people volunteer to work behind the bar at the various events over the week. None of them have personal licenses but he does.

The same guy also got together with another local guy and decided that since there was nothing decent to do in the town at New Year, they'd run a ceilidh where you buy your ticket in advance for about £40 and it's all you can drink and a big buffet on the night. You just turn up and whatever you asked for (bottle of whisky and a bottle of tang!) are there on your table waiting for you. They did that using the same license.

Guest Gladstone
The key bit, I should add, is the venue having a venue license. If they've got that, you apply for your personal license which you hold for ten years and you're in a good place.

So - just to get this straight in my head...

What happens if the public hall does NOT have a venue licence?

What I just read from your post was that the venue didn't need a venue licence but your brother just ran his events using his personal licence. Is he running these events at licensed premises?