aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

An idea has popped into my head; to try to put together a charity CD of local artists' recording covers of really obscure, old songs they wrote back from their first bands etc, or covering old tracks by other local (or local-ish) artists that they think are either really awesome or hilariously terrible.

Would anyone be up for submitting anything or this?

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea to actually follow through, or one of those "it's a nice idea, but no-one would actually buy it.." kinda things?

xx

An idea has popped into my head; to try to put together a charity CD of local artists' recording covers of really obscure, old songs they wrote back from their first bands etc, or covering old tracks by other local (or local-ish) artists that they think are either really awesome or hilariously terrible.

Any thoughts on whether this is a good idea to actually follow through, or one of those "it's a nice idea, but no-one would actually buy it.." kinda things?

xx

I'd buy it. I mean, you could get some oldies from bands that are slightly bigger now and such. I think that's a great idea. Those that will remember the bands back then will feel nostalgic while new fans will be like "they recorded this? BRILLIANT."

So a Shutterspeed tribute album then?

• Upvote 1

A question for guitar-mod types.

My guitar has two humbuckers, one volume control, one tone control and a 3 way switch. Is it possible to get rid of the tone control (as I never use it, and just have it set to full, like those guitars that just have one volume control and nothing else) and change it to a volume control? That would mean I'd have two volume pots. I'd like one assigned to each individual pickup. Is that actually possible?

Also, can the middle toggle on the three way switch be set as a kill switch, so it would go BRIDGE > OFF > NECK?

You could always bypass the switch, use the volume as a master volume/neck volume and use the current tone knob as a pickup selector that works as a blend rather than distinct 'neck, middle, bridge'.

Failing that though, the suggestion that you made at first is easily do-able.

xx

I'd be up for buying and contributing to this.

You could always bypass the switch, use the volume as a master volume/neck volume and use the current tone knob as a pickup selector that works as a blend rather than distinct 'neck, middle, bridge'.

Failing that though, the suggestion that you made at first is easily do-able.

How much would RnB likely charge for the original suggestion? I don't think a blend would be much use to me, as I really ever only use one or the other, and rarely ever use both together. I'm basically wanting to do it so the neck pickup volume is set really low, so I can keep my OD on all the time, so the bridge will be set high, for the full gain tone, and when I flick over to the neck, it will be less gainy, a tad quieter and alot cleaner.

Hey, I'd bet if the $p33d guys recorded some of their work from before they went commercial and sold out, minds would be blown!

xx

I still don't like this new version of Lone And Lonesome Road that's on their myspace. Where is the hell is the emotion in the "DADDY OH, DADDY WHY?" of the original? Get them involved and they can rectify this in the new recording.

Musicmagpie are alright, though they can only accept stuff that has barcodes on them. I've got a whole heap of stuff released on little indie labels which have no barcodes.

OneUp still buy second hand CD's, though they are picky about what they take. I took two bags-for-life full down to OneUp, and they didn't want most of them. Only the pretty mainstream stuff.

Guest Gladstone
Depends if you're buying or selling...

The market will still be the same! Whether you're buying or selling will make a difference as to whether that makes the market favourable or not for you!

Are 1 bedroom flats going for a lot of money just now? Are there a lot / few on the market? Etc etc.

I'm possibly interested from both sides of the market.

Guest Gladstone
We were recently looking at two-beds. Basically, there is a shitload of stuff on the market, both shit heaps that need loads of work and quite nice places, but it's very much a 'buyers market' in the sense that sellers are finding it difficult to shift property.

Bargains are to be had, for sure.

Are your comments based just on 2 bed properties?

Because I know that often there can be a massive difference in markets between different sized properties.

I'd probably rather it was seller's market than a buyer's market.

Are your comments based just on 2 bed properties?

Because I know that often there can be a massive difference in markets between different sized properties.

I'd probably rather it was seller's market than a buyer's market.

Talking about my experience with two-beds, yeah.

Not really sure about one-beds specifically, although it would be my guess that as mortgages for first time buyers are quite difficult to obtain at the moment (and presuming that one bedroom flats in the city are prime FTB fodder), then the market would be quite slow for a seller getting rid of a one bedroom place.