aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Guest Gladstone

That gap is bridged nicely by Lemon Tree - and look what happened to the other venue of that size (Moshulu/Warehouse) - as has been discussed many a time before on these forums, a smaller capacity venue would probably be a better addition. Obviously those premises are massive for that sort of thing though.

Build a wall down the middle, kind of like the Tunnels, but on a smaller basis. or just have one upstairs and one downstairs. Once all the internal insulation was sorted, and dividing it up into a bar, with storage rooms and whatnot, the actual venue space would be quite ample I reckon.

I remeber the downstairs ceiling being quite low though, so no stage. Stages are bent. Floor shows!

Guest Gladstone
I thought it would be a bit bigger than Moshulu. What size capacity is lemon tree?

Moshulu official capacity was 650 and Lemon Tree was 600 although they only ever put 550 tickets on sale for Lemon Tree I think.

Guest Gladstone
Ah cool, I reckon you could get quite a bit more than that in there though, but not quote as many as music hall. I've never been to a gig at Lemon Tree.

Na - if you wanted to make a venue out of that building, it would never have the capacity to rival Moshulu or Lemon Tree. Not on the one floor where the band would be playing anyway. If you take into account the space required for things like the bar, the stage, storage/load-in, sound desk, toilets, sound proofing, etc etc. there's no way it could be as big as that. Obviously if you counted both floors towards capacity it would be much increased, but you can't realistically make a venue on two floors when the band can only play on one floor. People buying tickets to see a band won't want to be stopped at the top of the stairs because the downstairs part is full - you'd only be able to sell enough tickets to fill out the bottom space, which would mean your venue capacity would be much reduced.

People buying tickets to see a band won't want to be stopped at the top of the stairs because the downstairs part is full - you'd only be able to sell enough tickets to fill out the bottom space, which would mean your venue capacity would be much reduced.

Remember there is a side door half way down the stairs to the green that was used as an entrance when it was Boots.

Is it possible to buy tickets for a lemon tree event without having to buy it online? I wanted to buy Rich Hall tickets, without all the inflated booking fees and postage prices and all that gunk. Do OneUP sell stand up gig tickets, or can I buy them from the Lemon Tree directly, since it's like 2 minutes from my house?

Guest Gladstone
That's a disgrace if true.

Certainly was the last time I checked. It's been discussed many a time on here before. Used to piss me off when putting on gigs there - ended up just advertising a £5 gig as a £5.50 gig.

the biggest problem with a booking fee is that it's called a booking fee. it's there to cover costs involved in selling a ticket, usually bank charges or charges associated with the box office system. the reason this is separate from the ticket price is so that bands and artists don't take the hit when there's a share of ticket sales going to them. so they have to charge them on the door and in advance. some venues don't charge for cash sales though.

• Upvote 1

Guest Gladstone
the biggest problem with a booking fee is that it's called a booking fee. it's there to cover costs involved in selling a ticket, usually bank charges or charges associated with the box office system. the reason this is separate from the ticket price is so that bands and artists don't take the hit when there's a share of ticket sales going to them. so they have to charge them on the door and in advance. some venues don't charge for cash sales though.

I fully understand why LT charge it on the door, but it should be called an admin fee or something similar. Most people going to the LT for a £5 show or whatever, would probably be handing over cash, so bank handling charges etc. shouldn't really apply, should they? It's only 10% they add on, and to be honest, I think LT should probably just swallow that cost on cash sales at the door. Loads of people used to comment on it / moan about it because a poster would just say £5+bf, which most people regard as a "booking" fee and if you're not booking you shouldn't have to pay it. Even if LT was completely full, you're talking about losing 50p x 550 people which is admittedly £275 (if every sale was on the door on the night), but £5 x 550 is £2,750, which would be an incredible revenue for a £5 gig - plus the money they'd take at the bar if the venue is full etc. I suspect they just keep charging it because they get away with it though.

It's a coin toss between a pissup in Banchory or 2 meals for 9 quid in Korova, as far as I know.

There's always the "get a crate of Rolling Rock (pound a bottle in the old days at Dr Drakes *sniff*) and sit around at the top of the St Nicholas Centre reminiscing" option too. Baggy jeans c/w wallet chain or piss off.