aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

I sold a watch online to a guy in Poland (really Poland, not the Irish, American or Spanish variants). I posted it via international Signed For delivery and gave him the tracking number. He popped up on e mail last night claiming he knew it had arrived in Poland on 25th September but he hadn't received it, questioned the address I sent it to, etc. When I looked up the tracking it said it had been delivered and signed for on the 25th and I clarified the address was correct as he sent it. I pointed this out and he came back saying obviously he hadn't signed for it and what to do?

Has anyone had any similar experience and how was it resolved? I have sent him a link to the Royal Mail site where it mentions obtaining a copy of the signature scan and while I do sympathise with him i am inclined to think I have fulfilled my obligation and he really has to pursue it with his local postal service as to where they delivered and obtained a signature from. If he comes back again I may contact Royal Mail but I have a feeling they will just say if it was signed for they are clear.

I bought something online a few months ago, and I didn't receive it. The online tracking said it had been delivered and signed for, and there was an electronic signature which wasn't mine. It went back and forth for weeks, because the sender denied responsibility because they believed it had been delivered, the courier had proof of the delivery, but I was the one who didn't have what I had paid for. In the end, the seller reimbursed me, after alot of debating over whose responsibility it was. If the item is insured for going missing in-transit, then I believe it is the senders duty to make the claim, as the contract for that would be between you and the courier.

If an item is bought and sold within the UK then it's covered by distance selling regs so the seller is fully responsible until the buyer receives it.  The buyer's contract is with the seller, not the courier they use.  Can seem harsh on sellers if a courier screws them over but that's the way it is.

Fuck knows if that protection for the buyer extends to Poland though.

I think it would be, the contract is between the seller and the shipper up to the point it arrives in the original buyers hands. Even if they have a signature they have not fulfilled their contract and its not in the buyers hands. But this all depends on the buyer being honest. 

Ive had to deal with this at work, shipping items out on DHL and then the items going missing. Each time we have claimed the value back from the shipper as they have not satisfied the contract they have entered into with us. 

I'm sure I posted about this happening to my ex. It got sent to the wrong address and someone signed for it. She had to send KandCo a copy of her driving licence as it had proof of signature so they could get the signature from the courier and make sure she wasn't scamming. Ended up getting my dad's gift just in time for christmas tho.

Did you investigate the signing bit, as in did the company give any explanation as to where they obtained it?

The electronic signature showed up on the Parcel Force tracking on their website, but no one was able to explain whose signature it was when I said it wasn't mine. The courier and the sellers view was that it's been delivered, so whatever, so the only person whose signature it could be was my own. The seller investigated it with Parcel Force, though I don't know what the exact outcome of that was, but they eventually refunded me after I stayed on their case about it.

Hmmm, its a tricky one and depending on what side of the fence you are on the view is conflicting but I do honestly feel that when a signature is obtained the delivery company should be liable to provide info on who signed to the buyer, i.e. a card stating which address signed. Of course you could end up with someone denying all knowledge but then you could get police involved. This is where sometimes the convenience of companies being able to leave with neighbours and have someone else sign can be worse than having to go collect from a depot.

If a seller elects to send with no signing requirement then I think its quite right they are left open to it going missing but I think its wrong to be penalised for taking the extra steps and being the one to carry the can. I think I will see how it pans out but i'm reluctant to refund based on just being told it hasn't arrived, for all I know the guy could have signed for it himself and tried it on hoping I was gullible. But if he is getting nowhere I will tackle our illustrious Royal Mail and try and get compensation to allow a refund to seem more palatable. Even though he could end up with a free watch.

I think the bottom line is you have trusted Royal Mail to deliver this to a certain person, its up to them to prove they delivered it to this exact person, not just anyone who signed for it. If they can prove that then you have nothing to worry about, if they cant then they should reimburse you for the lost package. I wouldnt be paying anything out to this person until there is 100% proof he didnt sign for it.

Best  of luck!

• Upvote 1

I thought no semi colons just underscores

We may not be referring directly to VB6. I've not touched VB for years so fuck knows if it uses semi-colons or not.  It's just the classic coding mistake.  When I was a developer I'd spend days trying to find the source of an error and then scream in frustration when it was eventually traced to a semi colon or a mismatched bracket.

Anyway I'm confused.  Is your problem with pseudocode or VB6? 

OK, well we're not going to do your homework for you but happy to offer some pointers.  What you're basically looking for are logic errors.  I think as we're talking about pseudocode that precice syntax shouldn't be so important but not sure.  Depends on what you've been given/told I guess.

First thing to do is read through the code and follow roughly what each line is doing.  If there's a loop is it declared correctly, are counters incrementing inside or outside of the loop (should usually be inside), are logic statements (if, else, case, switch whatever VB uses) correct and do they make sense?  Make sure it flows correctly.