aberdeen-music

Quick Questions

Frosty Jack

Folks have moved to Newmachar and me old man loves an Indian and a Chinese, any takeaways near them as I've had a drive around and couldn't find f***all??

It's just to save him phoning me to come out everytime the greedy bastard wants a curry!!

There's a curry house at the Meldrum Arms hotel in Oldmeldrum, no idea if it's any good though.....Kintore Tandoori is excellent, but a bit further away.

Zara is to be avoided like the plague. Shite.

I can set it up for you if you like/need dude. I ALWAYS adjust the truss as any change to gauge when staying at the same tuning will have an effect on the playability. It is NOT negligible, if you choose to just leave it then it will be compromised. Adjusting it is such a quick and easy job - it'd be stupid to ever overlook it if bothering to adjust saddle height or anything else. Definitely if setting intonation as that takes way longer than truss adjustment ;)

PM me if you need :)

I know how to check intonation, but not to sort it. Some website say even a change from 9 to 10's can put alot of stress on the neck.

Should probably let a tech do it, so I don't break it in half.

Who the fuck uses 9's anyway?

I used 9s. I used to use 8s, but they kept snapping. I like really light strings, which is a pain in the arse when I buy a new guitar because they're never set up the way I like 'em.

I used 9s. I used to use 8s, but they kept snapping. I like really light strings, which is a pain in the arse when I buy a new guitar because they're never set up the way I like 'em.

But aren't you playing surf now? You should be using 13's :up:

I'm the other way around. I like heavier strings but really light, flappy picks. less breakage, and less pick dropping. So much give! Very forgiving for being such a clumsy strummer, papering over poor technique. Hooray!

I can set it up for you if you like/need dude. I ALWAYS adjust the truss as any change to gauge when staying at the same tuning will have an effect on the playability. It is NOT negligible, if you choose to just leave it then it will be compromised. Adjusting it is such a quick and easy job - it'd be stupid to ever overlook it if bothering to adjust saddle height or anything else. Definitely if setting intonation as that takes way longer than truss adjustment ;)

PM me if you need :)

How do you go about adjusting the truss rod if you are changing string gauge?

I've only ever adjusted it when there has been a bow in the neck that has caused problems with the playability.

How do you go about adjusting the truss rod if you are changing string gauge?

I've only ever adjusted it when there has been a bow in the neck that has caused problems with the playability.

thicker strings have more tension on the neck, basically if it frets out the truss rod is too tight and and is arching the neck, if it has a dip then the truss could do with being tightened. You can easily tell by eye if the neck isn't poker straight by looking down the neck with one eye from the head stock end. You can also check by fretting the low e string at the first fret and then fretting a note with you picking hand at say the 22nd fret, look at how high the string is away from the frets in the middle. you can measure the distance of the string to the fret with a feeler gauge to the correct specification or preference. The length of string can be used as a guide for checking neck being straight as the string will be perfectly true

What's this thing?

za4ghf.jpg

It's in Bon Accord Terrace Gardens. I walk past it all the time but can't figure out what it was ever used for. The gate just leads to a staircase up to the next level, and the big arch is only about 2 feet deep. It doesn't appear to serve any sort of purpose as it doesn't have an "inside"! Any ideas? Old guys?

is there any charity shops in town that come and collect unwanted furtniture? I have a Glass computer desk which I don't want or have room for anymore. It's quite nice so don't just want to bin it.

the place I'm doing community service now is a charity that picks up unwanted furniture and distributes them to people in need

"somebody cares" on summerhill road

give them a phone to arrange a free collection might see you lol

01224 200197

closed on a tuesday though

What's this thing?

za4ghf.jpg

It's in Bon Accord Terrace Gardens. I walk past it all the time but can't figure out what it was ever used for. The gate just leads to a staircase up to the next level, and the big arch is only about 2 feet deep. It doesn't appear to serve any sort of purpose as it doesn't have an "inside"! Any ideas? Old guys?

Some sort of viewing platform for events?

What's this thing?

za4ghf.jpg

It's a terrace. The gardens were originally private gardens for the inhabitants of Bon-Accord Crescent (then known as Terrace) and this was a terrace where they could sit and overlook the gardens.

What ever happened to all the charity Mannequins that sat outside nearly every chemist, papershop ie the Polio boy in calipers, the blind boy with the collie dog and also where did all the bright red sea mines for the lifeboats go ?

.....wait, wut?

here's another one though:

why were those mines red? surely it would have made more sense to camouflage them with a more.....sea coloured hue?

i know if i google it i could prolly find out in 30 seconds but i've been finding life more interesting without google.