aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

Chickenhawk – Modern Bodies

Band from Leeds. They've played up here a couple of times. My old band played with them a ton of times around Leeds. I used to think they were a bit crap. Not heard anything by them for ages. This came out a couple of years ago. It seems BAND GOT GOOD!

Riffs and stuff.

They are now called Hawk Eyes. We saw them support Andrew WK in Glasgow.

They had an album out this year that is also on Spotify for your judgement: Hawk Eyes – Ideas

Loads of music what is good.

Hum – Downward Is Heavenward

Absolutely huge as fuck grunge/shoegaze 'geek-rock'. Like a less doomy Jesu, or a heavier Weezer/Dinosaur Jr, or poppier Quicksand, though still just as, if not heavier. 'If you are to Bloom' and 'Green To Me' absolutely kill. Great riffs. So much tone. Walls of fuzz! Headphones on, volume up. Punch your brain in the face.

This is fucking excellent. Really enjoying this record!

xx

I can't be fucked trawling 30 pages of thread for shoegaze/instrumental recommendations, but I want something big and atmospheric that's easy to not concentrate on when I'm at work. Sort of like instrumental post-hardcore sounds of the rainforest.

Anyone name a record on spotify I can fire up?

xx

Try Brian Eno ~ Music for Airports and Stars of the Lid ~ And Their refinement of the Decline .Not shoegaze, but both very good.

Not instrumental but Lungfish - Rainbows From Atoms is good.
Try Brian Eno ~ Music for Airports and Stars of the Lid ~ And Their refinement of the Decline .Not shoegaze, but both very good.

Thanks for these. Haven't listened to Stars yet but really enjoyed the other two records.

Also got some Archers of Loaf stuff. Holy Fuck. Unfeasibly good band.

I've also definitely decided that this spotify nonsense is worth the £10 a month - provided my phone's battery holds out through a working day's listening. If not I'll probably try to trade/sell my ipod classic against a touch and use it there. Having ALL THE MUSIC available to listen to is just insanely awesome. It sounded like a superfluous idea to start with and one that wouldn't be worth much at all in real terms... but being able to have a full days worth of new records to listen through at work, every day, is fucking good as fuck. Plus it's a fuckload more convenient than piracy.

xx

Spotify is the best thing to happen in this whole music-going-digital business, ever. I've also discovered buttloads of new bands just by clicking on related artists of bands I already like. You can get lost just clicking on one related artist, and then another, and another and so on. It's mental. And GREAT. And just so worth it. £5.00 a month if you just have it on your PC, ad-free. Heaps of people moan about the adverts, as if the adverts are reaching out of the screen and kicking them in the throat. Just pay the fiver then. Cheapskate knobs.

• Upvote 1

Spotify is the best thing to happen in this whole music-going-digital business, ever. I've also discovered buttloads of new bands just by clicking on related artists of bands I already like. You can get lost just clicking on one related artist, and then another, and another and so on. It's mental. And GREAT. And just so worth it. £5.00 a month if you just have it on your PC, ad-free. Heaps of people moan about the adverts, as if the adverts are reaching out of the screen and kicking them in the throat. Just pay the fiver then. Cheapskate knobs.

Yeah the adverts to absolutely kill the enjoyment. Especially when you're listening to a record which is designed to have one track bleed seemlessly into the next. £5 a month is shit all, but I'll rarely use it on my laptop as the sound is baws. Downloading records to my phone is where it's at, yo.

xx

• 2 weeks later...
I can't be fucked trawling 30 pages of thread for shoegaze/instrumental recommendations, but I want something big and atmospheric that's easy to not concentrate on when I'm at work. Sort of like instrumental post-hardcore sounds of the rainforest.

Anyone name a record on spotify I can fire up?

xx

Nadja. They have released loads of stuff and I don't own most of it but I can recommend 'Desire in Uneasiness'.

Not shoegaze at all but for instrumental work, has to be Dirty Three. 'Whatever You Love, You Are' is always my first recommendation. Then 'Ocean Songs'. Then 'Horse Stories'. Then just everything really. In many ways my favourite album by them is the 'Live at Meredith' one, the versions of the songs on that are jus so intense.

Holy fuck, this record is excellent.

xx

It really is. Copout is probably the best song ever made. That breakdown... Good grief. Pure RAGE! The first album is great also. They were responsible for a bunch of other great bands too...

The singer, Jason, went on to do None More Black who are one of my favourite bands.

The guitarist, Dan, he was in Lifetime before Kid Dynamite, who are excellent, then he went on to do Paint It Black, who are raging as hell, like KD, but angrier.

The bassist was in The Loved Ones, who are THE BEST at pop punk.

Drummer Dave was in a bunch of bands, but most notably Good Riddance on their best album - Symptoms of a Levelling Spirit.

Listen to all of them, and UP THE PUNX!

• Upvote 1

It really is. Copout is probably the best song ever made. That breakdown... Good grief. Pure RAGE! The first album is great also. They were responsible for a bunch of other great bands too...

The singer, Jason, went on to do None More Black who are one of my favourite bands.

The guitarist, Dan, he was in Lifetime before Kid Dynamite, who are excellent, then he went on to do Paint It Black, who are raging as hell, like KD, but angrier.

The bassist was in The Loved Ones, who are THE BEST at pop punk.

Drummer Dave was in a bunch of bands, but most notably Good Riddance on their best album - Symptoms of a Levelling Spirit.

Listen to all of them, and UP THE PUNX!

You know the best musics.