aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

Ok, simple thread, post your spotify recommendations here, can be new albums, old favourites single tracks or entire playlists. Put a wee description next to your recommendation either explaining the artist or the reason you're recommending it.

Eskimo Snow - Why? - Spotify - Why? : Eskimo Snow - great psychadelic indie from Anticon records. kinda similar to Grandaddy and Flaming Lips.

Despite The Snow - Emily Barker - Spotify - Emily Barker : Despite the Snow - I found this when looking for someone else and thought i'd give it a listen anyway, pretty good alt-country from an australian living in england.

If you're not sure how to get links for your spotify tunes, right click and select copy http link. should work and we can all have lots of ace new music to check out on spotify.

EDIT: Further to this -

did you know you can make collaborative playlists on spotify? I'm not sure how it works but i've set one up for Aberdeen Music, can someone have a go at adding stuff to it then we can maybe create a giant aberdeen music mixtape. I'd suggest maybe just adding one song at a time to start with: Playlist by daveofficer - Spotify

• Upvote 2

Good shout on Eskimo Snow. I like how he's moved quite a way from the earlier hip hop stuff. His lyrics are still outrageously good though.

Land, Air, Sea - The Special Goodness - Spotify - Pat Wilson (Weezer) and Atom Willard (Rocket from the Crypt and Every Band Ever) unsurprisingly sound a fair bit like Weezer, but a little more raw and way more emphasis on the powerpop. Pat's voice is neat too. There's some smashing riffs and melodies here.

The Else - They Might Be Giants - Spotify - Outside of S/T and Lincoln, this is the best They Might Be Giants album by a huge distance. Feign Amnesia is the best pop song I've heard in ages.

Where Are All The Nice Girls - Any Trouble - Spotify - Under appreciated gem from 1980, and my favourite powerpop album of all time. They were in the wrong place at the wrong time considering that Joe Jackson and Elvis Costello were already huge at the time, there was no room for them. This was the first album I ever heard in my mum's van when she used to deliver sandwiches. Then someone broke in, stole the stereo with that tape in it and it was gone forever.

Downward Is Heavenward - Hum - Spotify - Heavy, shoegazey grunge/space rock. Massive guitars and nerdy vocals. Serious riffing.

Family Trees Or: CoPe We Must - Sean Na Na - Spotify - Har Mar Superstar's other alter-ego, Sean Na-Na. Charming indie-pop

Christopher - Sleep Of Oldominion - Spotify - First album by Sleep. My favourite hip hop album. He's got attitude and flow.

Critical Meat - You Slut! - Spotify - Weird as fuck instrumental-rock, a little bit like Don Caballero meets The Fucking Champs. Noodly and triumphant. Seriously good!

Todd Rundgren's Utopia - Todd Rundgren - Spotify - Todd Rundgren's Utopia. Awesome prog-rock. I'm not a prog-rock fan, but this is really good.

Mourning Golden Morning - ef - Spotify - Mourning Golden Morning by Ef. Beautiful post-rock from Scandinavia.

Blue Record - Baroness - Spotify - Blue Record by Baroness. Opens like a Queen record, jams like Sabbath. Metal without being shit.

The North End - Joie De Vivre - Spotify - The North End by Joie de Vivre. The Promise RIng meets American Football. One of my favourite records of last year.

It Takes A Nation Of Assholes To - This Moment In Black History - Spotify - It Takes A Nation of Assholes to Hold Us Back by This Moment in Black History - Noisy, spazzy punk rock kinda like PMFS.

• Upvote 1

Good thread. I can't get spotify at the moment and its killing me. Still deliberating over getting pro.

My last spotify discovery was phantogram. Dunno anything about them but they make great pop music. It's like ethereal and dreamy yet catchy and twee. Some good bassline grooves too. Yeah I'm shit at writing about music.

Yeah I would have thought there would have been more hype around her.

Have you heard her first album? If yes, Is it as good?

The first album is very good and worth getting, although it's probably not as consistently good as 'Epic'. The songs on Epic are a bit more 'fleshed out' on the whole whereas the first album is more low key. There are still some really great tunes on it though.

Here are a few old albums that I really like but that I don't think are that well known.

Even as we Speak 'Feral Pop Frenzy'

Feral Pop Frenzy - Even As We Speak - Spotify

Fantastically fun Australian indie pop. Pretty much the best entertainment you can have in 45 minutes without using your hands. Or someone else's.

Helium 'Dirt of Luck'

The Dirt of Luck - Helium - Spotify

Classic 90s American indie rock fronted by Mary Timony. All her stuff is great but this is her most consistently good record. Angular.

Vomit Launch 'Dogeared'

Dogeared - Vomit Launch - Spotify

Pioneering indie rock band hampered by poor name. This is their last album. Their others are good too, especially the (also poorly named) 'Exiled Sandwich':

Exiled Sandwich - Vomit Launch - Spotify

• Upvote 1

I'm loving Team Boo by Mates of State just now (how do you make a link to spotify?). They're a two piece band: a lassy who plays keyboards and sings and a laddy who plays some good drums and sings too. I'd probably describe them as weird-pop, the keys on this record are particularly strange, as are the harmonies. Its all VERY twee, but I like it.

In an Aeroplane Over the Sea by Neutral Milk Hotel. Really good folky-rock numbers. People who know them seem to love them, so go and have a listen.

I'm loving Team Boo by Mates of State just now (how do you make a link to spotify?).

If you're not sure how to get links for your spotify tunes, right click and select copy http link. should work and we can all have lots of ace new music to check out on spotify.

I'd have assumed most people here would have already heard In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Great album.

Team Boo - Mates of State - Spotify

Mates of State - Team Boo. Great record. The first three songs are all killer, but its a totally decent album. All their records are very good. Saw them live in 2005, and they were a bit odd. They are married, so they just stare at each other whilst playing, having some sort of freaky public mindsex.

I'd have assumed most people here would have already heard In the Aeroplane Over the Sea. Great album.

Aye, fair enough. I just got into it a few weeks ago via the wonders of spotify. Best album I've got into in a while anyway.

Saw them live in 2005, and they were a bit odd. They are married, so they just stare at each other whilst playing, having some sort of freaky public mindsex.

That sounds really horrible.

Sorry! - Catherine - Spotify

Early 90's alt. rock with fuzzy, shoegazey guitars. They are very 1994 (not in a dreadful Stone Temple Pilots way), but I like this album a lot. Their second release got more critical praise, but personally I think this is a much better record. Give me a pop song laden with fuzz guitars and I'm delighted.

Listening to the You Slut! album just now. Thank you for sharing it, Joe, it's exactly the kind of thing that I love!

Patagonian Rats - Tera Melos - Spotify

This can be my choice then. Tera Melos are a noodly rock band from the US. There are some great hooks and choruses on this album, but it also has a lot of mad freak-out moments on the guitars which is, in my opinion anyway, when they're at their best.

That is a terrible description. If someone else can do it in a better way than I can, feel free!