aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

That Sharon Van Etten album is really good. This album's pretty well known now, but she sings on the track "Thirteen":

Hospice - The Antlers - Spotify

-There's some sort of personal back-story to this one, in a lot of interviews, an abusive relationship has been suggested, it's been left open to interpretation, but at its simplest, the narrative seems to follow the story of a man (a hospice nurse) watching a loved one succumb to a terminal illness, and the aftermath. Haunting and uplifting in equal measures. (Although, I tend to prefer listening to this album in full, sans ads.)

I've also been enjoying this one:

Stridulum II - Zola Jesus - Spotify

-She has a wonderful voice, this album's more "electronic" than previous efforts.

and this:

Celebrate What You Can't See EP - Team Ghost - Spotify

-Nicolas Fromageau from M83's new project. A lot more ambient and less beat-driven than the more recent M83 stuff. Some lovely synthy soundscapes.

Rockwell - Anni Rossi - Spotify She played Peacock a few years back and was absolutely fantastic. Steve Albini produced viola toe-tappin goodness.

1,000 Years - The Corin Tucker Band - Spotify The debut solo effort of Corin Tucker previously of Sleater-Kinney. More subdued than later S-K but you can definitely hear shared influences on this album and 'The Woods'.

Let It Sway - Someone Still Loves You Boris Ye - Spotify I'm sure most folk on here will be aware of this band, but I just find this a delightful little album.

Good Things - Aloe Blacc - Spotify This is a soul/motown/r'nb album from last year that gets better every single time I listen to it. If you're not walking around humming the opening track for days then I just don't know about people anymore.

Treacherous - Over the Wall - Spotify Glaswegian folky electronica pop aceness with added brass. Brilliant hooks and choruses.

Pip Paine [Pay The 5000 You Owe] - Metronomy - Spotify I guess they're a fairly mainstream, but I still think they're far too underrated, especially this album. Sort of spastic-y sounding lo-fi electronic pop, but a pretty varied album.

Guest idol_wild

Do I still need an invite to register and use Spotify? I just did what little research that I could on my limited government servers, and this isn't ascertained.

Can any old fuckwit sign up, willy-nilly?

Guest idol_wild
I think the free version is no longer invite-only. Pretty sure any old bastard can sign up now.

Awesome. Because I am an old bastard and I want to sign up to see what the fuck this shit is all about.

Some of my favourite electronic albums;

Berlinette - Ellen Allien - Spotify Love Ellen Allien, I'm crap at genres but this is described as 'minimalist' and 'microhouse'.

Orchestra Of Bubbles - Ellen Allien - Spotify Ellen Allien + Apparat = one of the loveliest albums ever. J'adore.

Immolate Yourself - Telefon Tel Aviv - Spotify The only album these guys put out, more ambient than the other two.

I've found heaps of good stuff I'd never heard of via the related artists. It's not based on bands who are similar though. It's based on 'users who listened to this also listened to some of these...' so literally anything can come up.

Alot of bands I like also appear on some compilations/samplers which are usually right at the bottom of a band page. I'll usually try and give some of those a listen if I can. Discovered loads of good stuff, and also some pretty neat tribute albums I never knew existed.

How do people use spotify to find new music?

I only really find it usable at work when I want to listen to stuff I know I will like. The related artists is both hilarious and useless in equal measures.

I use Last.fm as a guide, since it knows my listening tastes a lot more than Spotify, especially since I do obsessively check it so it doesn't recommend artists I think are balls.

How do people use spotify to find new music?

I only really find it usable at work when I want to listen to stuff I know I will like. The related artists is both hilarious and useless in equal measures.

just type stuff in and click the related artists, yea most are pish but you get the odd gem. also browsing what my friends have been listening to or listening to playlists.

Phantasia - LITE - Spotify fucking ace math-rock

The North End - Joie De Vivre - Spotify - The North End by Joie de Vivre. The Promise RIng meets American Football. One of my favourite records of last year.

This is a cool record. I got into their EP wayy more. Just that dude whining away. Sundays breaks beautifully.

East/West by Bridge n Tunnel is something I'm getting into. We played with them last year in Glasgow, and they were mental. They are kinda gruff punk, but some crazy guitar lines and crap in there. Catchy too.

• Upvote 1

This is a cool record. I got into their EP wayy more. Just that dude whining away. Sundays breaks beautifully.

East/West by Bridge n Tunnel is something I'm getting into. We played with them last year in Glasgow, and they were mental. They are kinda gruff punk, but some crazy guitar lines and crap in there. Catchy too.

The Bridge and Tunnel album is dece. Good job Bridge and Tunnel.

• Upvote 1

That Bridge and Tunnel record is weird. The production made it quite unlistenable for me. The first 7" is great though. Awesome singalong bits, and the noodly guitar parts are superb. Love the vocals. Sounds like all of them sing, and I'm a sucker for boy/girl vocals.

The production is wierd. The only way I could describe it is that it sounds so 'separate'. Never at any point sounds fully live. I don't mind it so much on this album, but the EP Indoor Voices is even worse for me. I did actually find that unlistenable for the production purposes.