aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

Is there an easy way to add shit to playlists on the fly on spotify mobile?

As it is, I have a fuckload of playlists, an album each. I'd like to dump all the PUNX records into one playlist, the folk shit into another, etc, but I can only find an option to add tracks to a playlist one at a time and that is bent as fuck.

xx

Apparently that very handy piece of functionality was taken out of the android version (http://community.spotify.com/t5/Mobile-Android/How-to-add-complete-albums-to-playlists/td-p/85437?nobounce). Bummer. You'll have to get onto the desktop version and do some playlist merging that way.

The new Above Them record - We Are A Danger To Ourselves is fucking awesome. Listen to it.

How could I describe them... Post-Pop-Punk? Gruff, melodic, riffy punk rock tunes without the cutesy immaturity of the likes of Blink or NFG but without the harder punk edge of NOFX. A kind of middle ground between the two. Similar to Hot Water Music. AMAZING. Their first record - For Those Who Paved The Way is fucking amazing, I believe Soda recommended that one earlier ITT, listen to it if you haven't already.

xx

• Upvote 1

The new Above Them record - We Are A Danger To Ourselves is fucking awesome. Listen to it.

How could I describe them... Post-Pop-Punk? Gruff, melodic, riffy punk rock tunes without the cutesy immaturity of the likes of Blink or NFG but without the harder punk edge of NOFX. A kind of middle ground between the two. Similar to Hot Water Music. AMAZING. Their first record - For Those Who Paved The Way is fucking amazing, I believe Soda recommended that one earlier ITT, listen to it if you haven't already.

xx

I couldn't get into the newer one. I thought it sounded a bit softer than before. Oli's a great singer, but he seems to hold back a bit on the newer one. He really howls on the first LP. It rocks so hard. I should probably give the newer one another chance, I guess.

They've changed quite alot, into more of a straight-forward anthemic rock band. The EP before the first album is pretty great too:

Above Them – Put Your Heart Into This

Sounds like they were trying to do the early Biffy Clyro thing. Choppy angular pop songs. Awesome. Love that opening song when they just start rocking out half way through a verse. It's a total suckerpunch. Those vocals, man. Those vocals! My word.

I couldn't get into the newer one. I thought it sounded a bit softer than before. Oli's a great singer, but he seems to hold back a bit on the newer one. He really howls on the first LP. It rocks so hard. I should probably give the newer one another chance, I guess.

I did love how much the first record cut loose but I like the way they've refined it and reined it in a little for this one. More emphasis on melody and structure. I think if they'd tried to make this record more like the first then they'd have run aground with it being too one dimensional and repetitive.

Another amazing record - not sure if I've mentioned it yet but these guys are just awesome. Remind me of Against Me! which can never be a bad thing. Up there with my favourite records of the year.

The Menzingers – On The Impossible Past

xx

Still haven't heard that new Menzingers yet. The first two are banging though. I'll give it a go at some point today.

Speaking of Against Me, I listened to Eternal Cowboy for the first time in ages yesterday. Man, that record is so belting, before they retired from Punx and started to sound like Franz Ferdinand

Against Me! – As The Eternal Cowboy

I love that guitar tone. One clean, one crunchy. It could cut your fucking head off.

Been digging Mock Orange today.

You might dig them too if soppy yet rocking 90's emo/indie rock is your thing. Lots of awkward time changes, guitars weaving in and out of each other. Serious chops, whilst some chump warbles on about girls and being a shit boyfriend or something. Sounds a bit like Braid, maybe. Perhaps a bit more rocking.

Mock Orange – The Record Play

So good. They did 2 or 3 good records, then went all folksy and twee, like The Shins or some crap. Yeah, that's good good rock bands do. They wuss the fuck out. Screw that.

Here's some similar stuff:

The Casket Lottery – Survival is for Cowards

Tuesday – Freewheelin' (Dan Andriano pre Alkaline Trio)

Hey Mercedes – Loses Control

Brandtson – Send Us a Signal

Braid – Frame and Canvas

The Promise Ring – Nothing Feels Good

No Knife – Fire In the City of Automatons

Knapsack – Day Three of My New Life

Yeah! Wimp rock!

• Upvote 2

• 3 weeks later...

Any fans of Snuff on here? Yeah, just as I thought. Loads of you. They have a new album. Their first since 2003, which wasn't so good actually. Duncan has done about 100 other bands since then, which have all been pretty great and sound just like Snuff. Now Snuff are back, and this is a rather pleasant album. It will make you gently rock back and forth. Annoyingly, their best albums aren't on Spotify, so this is as good an introduction as any.

Snuff – 5-4-3-2-1... Perhaps?

The acoustic versions at the end are great too.

At least the Guns n Wankers album is on Spotify, which is pretty much Snuff anyway, and one of the best things Duncan ever did. Hugely influential UK punk record.

Guns n' Wankers – Guns N' Wankers

Joolz and Duncan then did Dogpiss, which was pretty much Guns n Wankers with some metalhead on guitar. You can kinda tell. Metal guitar + pop songs. GREAT! Best band name too.

Dogpiss – Eine Kleine Pünkmusik

He mostly does Billy No Mates now, who have a different lineup everytime, depending on where he plays in the world. In the States, it's mostly made up of Fat Wreck alumni, like Fat Mike, and Joey Cape, and in Japan, well, a bunch of Japanese punx. Their latest album was a beaut. Some great pop songs. The opening track totally kills. HAMMOND ORGAN SOLO.

Billy No Mates – Duck, Duck, Goose!

Duncan Redmonds 101. You've all graduated.

I've had beers.

• 4 weeks later...

Been listening to loads of nasty, blown out hardcore. Hooked on these guys; Totalt Jävla Mörker. Catchy name. Umlauts make everything look badass,

Totalt Jävla Mörker – Söndra & Härska

Totalt Jävla Mörker – Totalt Jävla Mörker

Pure filth from Sweden. Blast beats, corny as fuck chugs, d-beats. Nasty. As you can probably tell from the name and titles, they sing purely in Swedish. Great! I believe they have Inge Johansson on vocals, who is also the bassist for International Noise Conspiracy, which is Dennis Lyxzen from Refused's other band. Rock connections.

• 2 weeks later...

The Special Goodness – Natural

The Special Goodness have a new album. For those not in the know, it's Pat from Weezer. Y'know, the cool one. It used to be him and Atom Willard, but it's just Pat doing everything now. Their album Land Air Sea is the BOMB. Then 9 years of nothing, and now this. YEAH! Even if it's nowhere near as good as Land Air Sea, it's still guaranteed to be 1000% better than anything Weezer have done after Maladroit. I'm a few tracks in, and there's no shit rap songs or songs about being a badass doing drugs.

Sounds good so far. Definitely more of a 'studio' album. Lots of neat production stuff going on, where as Land Air Sea sounds a bit more stripped back and ambient.