aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

In a vain attempt to listen to as many musics as I possibly can before compiling a top 10 list I'm coming across some albums I would have totally overlooked were it not for this insane mission of mine:

Gem Club – Breakers - Voice, piano, cello, beautiful.

Chad Valley – Equatorial Ultravox - If you like Washed Out and that sort of sound you'll probably dig this

Julianna Barwick – The Magic Place - Lady + keyboard + looping vocals = magical sounds

• 1 month later...

Buraka Som Sistema

Buraka Som Sistema is an electronic dance music project from Portugal, specializing in a fusion of techno beats with the African kuduro genre, and are generally credited with creating the "progressive kuduro" variant

Buraka Som Sistema – Black Diamond

Buraka Som Sistema – Komba

Just found out about these guys through a friend. I think they're great.

Anything which is influenced my music other than non traditional UK/US forms is pish?

I'm not exactly into much "world" music myself but artists like say Asian Dub Foundation or M.I.A who mix traditionally popular styles with more niche genres can be pretty great. I think Buraka... fit in well with that group.

Papermoons – New Tales

I like this. Why? Because it's good. I dunno how to describe it. It's quite melancholic though it's still very pleasant and melodic. Morose and slightly glum pop music with mega melodies. The guitars are almost shoegaze-y, but not quite. The vocal is very delicate, and there's some sweet harmonies in there. I like the use of the drums. They keep the rhythm, but they're not very percussive, and don't really dictate the songs. Very nice, in an un-rocking kind of way.

Statues – New People Make Us Nervous

Only just recently discovered Statues, but they have become one of my favourite Punk bands at the moment. They are less balls-to-the-wall than most punk rock bands these days. Those jangly staccato guitars make them more similar to stuff like The Jam I suppose, though the vocals remind me of The Living End. Lovely and jangly with more hooks than a boat full of pirates.

Silkworm – Lifestyle

Genuinely one of the best albums ever, though they are an acquired taste. It's verging on Dad-rock sometimes, but no fucks are given. It's a bit miserable, but some of the hooks are just incredible, though very subtle. There's a little bit of Guided By Voices about them, though it's less foot-on-the-monitor stomping rocknroll, and more swaying from side to side whilst you realise how shit your life is. Bust it!

Burning Airlines – Mission: Control!

I think I've posted this before, but it's just so fucking good that I'm posting it again. So ahead of it's time (1999) and so incredibly inventive. One of the best indie/post-hardcore records ever. And why wouldn't it be? It's J Robbins and Bill Barbot. They practically invented this shit. Straight outta D.C y'all.

Burning Airlines – Mission: Control!

I think I've posted this before, but it's just so fucking good that I'm posting it again. So ahead of it's time (1999) and so incredibly inventive. One of the best indie/post-hardcore records ever. And why wouldn't it be? It's J Robbins and Bill Barbot. They practically invented this shit. Straight outta D.C y'all.

This is good. Thanks.

Anything which is influenced my music other than non traditional UK/US forms is pish?

I'm not exactly into much "world" music myself but artists like say Asian Dub Foundation or M.I.A who mix traditionally popular styles with more niche genres can be pretty great. I think Buraka... fit in well with that group.

I should rephrase. My experience of world music is unfortunately drawn from Paul Simon and the horrors of Jools Holland and having bands on in their national dress, which I find quite patronising. Gotta love a bit of M.I.A.

• Upvote 2

I can't get on Spotify at work to link, but for that sort of first world problems indie rock, I dig Failure's Union. The LP 'In What Way' is on there, and is great. The guy has got a marvelous voice. Very unique. The Fall man is just the most rockingest song.

The first Archers of Loaf record is bitchin' as hell too, if you're not already on that.

This is really good. Really, really good. The Failure's Union album. So good.

I didn't even know such a band existed. J Mascis and the Fog.

They have two albums.

J Mascis – Free So Free

J Mascis – More Light

if you like Dinosaur Jr, then you will like them I assume. Less fuzzed-out and shreddy. More indie rock, somewhere between Sebadoh and Dino Jr. GOOD.

Have you heard Witch? J Mascis on drums. They just sound like Sleep/Sabbath/Melvins etc. Amazing!

This can be my recommendation for the next week. A review:

"Thee Oh Sees almost compulsory yearly release drops on June 14th in the form of Castlemania, the band’s 9th studio album. Castlemania marks something of a departure for the band: the unrelenting whacked-out garage of previous albums is still present, but punctuated by effervescent psychedelia reminiscent of Magical Mystery Tour Beatles.

It’s fair to say that Castlemania is an album with a dual personality: on the one hand, it revives the light-hearted West Coast psychedelia of the 1960s and on the other, it continues the rock and horror garage of The Mummies, The Cramps et al. It is testament to Thee Oh Sees capability that they combine these seemingly disparate elements so artfully. Take Corrupted Coffin, for instance; an incessant guitar riff combines with screeching tapes and guitar freak-outs to create a typically incendiary garage track. Yet, by the time we reach Pleasure Blimps, we are in summer of love territory: tambourines, xylophones, guitars and “la la la’s” abound in homage to the optimistic psych of the late 60’s. The hallucinatory rambling of Stinking Cloud combines this bipolarity in a light-hearted morbidity that is the albums zenith and the apotheosis of John Dwyer’s vision on Castlemania. When he says of the album, it’s “songs about bad things, packaged in a summery record about getting numb to life and it’s little pleasures as you take it for granted with age,” it relates most strikingly to this track.

Thee Oh Sees – Castlemania

I think the reviewer got one thing wrong, though... it's their 12th album, apparently. Ridiculously prolific.

If you like this, then the vocalist/songwriter John Dwyer has been in loads of other bands. They all have a similar kind of garage-rock vibe, but my favourite is Coachwhips.

This album is about as simplistic as rock and roll can be, really. 11 songs in 18 minutes in a guitar/organ/drums power trio. Imagine if Andrew WK's "I Get Wet" was recorded for about £10, and you might get an idea of what it's like... unrelenting power chords and distorted everything all the way.

Coachwhips – Bangers vs Fuckers

• Upvote 1

On the one hand you're right to recommend thee oh sees, on the other hand you're totally bonkers for choosing castlemania. They had two albums last year and castlemania barely registered, it was all about Carrion Crawler / The Dream. One of the best albums from anyone last year.

Thee Oh Sees – Carrion Crawler / The Dream

Loads of music what is good.

Medications – Medications

From the ashes of Faraquet came Medications. This EP is the best thing they ever did. You should listen to Faraquet's 'View From This Tower' too if you like math-(indie)rock with unthinkable time signatures and mind bending guitar noodling. Still great pop songs beneath all the noodling too. Medications aren't much different, just less noodling, but still very jarred.

Defeater – Lost Ground

I don't like the two albums that much, but this EP just kills it. Concept record about a guy who goes to war, then returns home and can't integrate back into society. It's pretty gripping stuff. even without the narrative, it's raging as hell.

Sleep Of Oldominion – Hesitation Wounds

Good whiteboy hiphop. He's got a versatile delivery, as he slips in and out of getting aggro-as-fuck, or slowing it down with that lazy words-spilling-out-the-mouth sort of style. I don't know much about hip hop production, but I love the style of the beats and samples on this record, as well as on his first record. "Talk About It" is the standout track for me. Great delivery, sparse but fast beat. Old school stabs and scratches. Wikka wikka wikka.

The Evens – Get Evens

Ian Mackaye and Amy Farina, with just a drum set and a baritone guitar, oh and heartbreaking-as-fuck vocal harmonies. Stripped down, dreary pop songs. This is the second album. First one was flawless, but it took me ages to 'get' this record. It recently clicked. Banging record.

One Day As A Lion – One Day As A Lion EP

Dunno if many people heard this, as it was so poorly funded by the fucking godawful Epitaph Records. This EP is a stormer. Zack De La Rocha and Jon Theodore (Mars Volta). Drums, a distorted as fuck synth and Zack's usual vocal style.

Stephen Egerton – The Seven Degrees Of Stephen Egerton

Love this record. It's Stephen Egerton from the Descendents/ALL who recorded a bunch of punk rock songs, and got a bunch of vocalists to lay some vocals down over the top. An all star cast including vocal contributions from vocalists from Rise Against, Alkaline Trio, Less Than Jake, Armchair Martian, Lagwagon, Mxpx etc... Like the pop punk version of the NBA All Star game. Get it in your lugs. The Tim McIlrath and Chris Demakes songs are standouts for me.

Sean Na Na – Family Trees Or: CoPe We Must

Har Mar Superstar's less eccentric/naked powerpop/indie rock guise. Wonderful pop songs.

Peachfuzz – Everything Takes Forever

If you like The Replacements, Bob Mould/Husker Du, or any other American 1990's alternative rock, then this will rock your face off. Gruff, gravelly pop'n'roll from Wales. This is the second album, which is better than the first. Third album out soon, and from the sneak previews, it sounds better than anything else. Tiptop.

Cowtown – Pine-Cone Express

Noisy, lo-fi, mostly instrumental pop/noise from Leeds. No idea if they are still going, but they are/were immense. Total party.

Hum – Downward Is Heavenward

Absolutely huge as fuck grunge/shoegaze 'geek-rock'. Like a less doomy Jesu, or a heavier Weezer/Dinosaur Jr, or poppier Quicksand, though still just as, if not heavier. 'If you are to Bloom' and 'Green To Me' absolutely kill. Great riffs. So much tone. Walls of fuzz! Headphones on, volume up. Punch your brain in the face.

• Upvote 1

Loads of music what is good.

Hum – Downward Is Heavenward

Absolutely huge as fuck grunge/shoegaze 'geek-rock'. Like a less doomy Jesu, or a heavier Weezer/Dinosaur Jr, or poppier Quicksand, though still just as, if not heavier. 'If you are to Bloom' and 'Green To Me' absolutely kill. Great riffs. So much tone. Walls of fuzz! Headphones on, volume up. Punch your brain in the face.

Holy bat shit this is proper good!

• Upvote 1