flights

ca_gere

Soda Jerk

daveofficer

Jan

Surfer Rosa

KarmaTsunami

Mr Owl PHD

Pass your mix to the person below you in the list via PM, get it in your lugs, return here and talk about how much it rocked you. The person at the bottom of the list passes their mix to the person at the top of the list.

GO!

I've had the pleasure of listening to the playlist I received a few times already now, so here's the review:

Space by Mr. Owl PhD

This space-themed playlist contained tracks by a fair few artists that I'd never heard of before, so I was excited to listen to some new sounds. It kicked off with "Hey Hey, Spaceman" by Guided By Voices. I love me a bit of Guided By Voices, super-catchy and perfect mixtape fodder. Couldn't help but have a wee dance in the kitchen whilst making breakfast this morning. The cat enjoyed it too.

Next up was an artist I'd never heard of before (at least I thought I hadn't, but a bit of research revealed that this was Alexis Georgopoulos of The Alps' solo project). "Pastoral Symphony: I. Dominoes II. Infinity Room" by ARP. Long ambient spacey jams are totally my bag so I absolutely loved this. It reminded me a little bit of Emeralds and Tim Hecker. This 9 minute track revolves around a very catchy little bass line with lots of dreamy drones and little ascending/descending melodic passages, later building to slightly harsher arpeggiated drones and more ambient noise, which, to me, recalled a slightly less-abrasive Black Dice before the bassline kicked in again and the track came to its conclusion. After listening to the mix all the way through once, I then checked out the rest of the record "The Soft Wave" on Spotify, and think that that'll most likely be my next record purchase. Absolutely stellar stuff. I was totally blown away by this track, every time I listen to it I notice something that I hadn't picked up on previous listens, tooooo cool.

This was followed up by "Light From A Dead Star" by Lush. Wasn't quite so keen on this one. I liked the dreamy vocal style, and the harmonies were nice, sort of reminded me a little of the girl from Arborea, but a little less breathy. Thought the melody on the glockenspiel was quite pleasant and built tension. The drums kind of ruined it for me though. Perhaps I was still thinking about ARP.

"Get Outta That Spaceship & Fight Like a Man" by Grifters was next. Yup, this was a good one, I properly dug it. The guitars were sensational.

Next up was "Watussi" by "Harmonia". Lovely little synth-y number with some nice ambient background stuff.

Then; "Heaven's on Fire" by The Radio Dept. YEAH! Great song, great band. Nice mix of guitars and electronics.

"Black Sun" by LoOp was next. Another band I'd never come across. Nice bit of danceable effect-laden space-rock with snarly vocals.

Helium followed, with the track "Cosmic Rays". I like Helium. This is a nice mellow one, lovely glassy sounding guitar and crystal clear vocals. Lovely orchestral crescendo towards in the middle of the track, followed by a chilled out come down at the end. Great stuff.

A nice bit of fuzzy indie-pop next; "Supernova" by Liz Phair. Very danceable.

"Returnal" by Oneohtrix Point Never was up next. I feel I should have liked this track, but for some reason I just couldn't get into it.

I was glad to see Laura Veirs feature on the playlist. A firm favourite of mine, and "Galaxies" is a great track, a lovely dreamy pop song. Year of Meteors is a great record, as is Saltbreakers... actually, they're all just very, very good. Caught her at Celtic Connections last year too and she put on a great show.

The final track on the mix was "Moonbeams" by The For Carnation. Lots of sparse, slow building guitar lines, bleeps, delays and swooshes. Definitely very spacey sounding. The bass and vocals were stark and offset very well from all the background drones. The keyboard suspension present throughout gave the track a tense feel before the warmth of the strings kicked in towards the end. Definitely a band I'll be investigating further.

All in all, this was an excellent mix and has defintely brought to my attention a few projects that I can't wait to check out more of, which is exactly what makes playlist trading like this worthwhile. Go have a listen!

Thanks for the fantastic review GA - glad you enjoyed it. The Soft Wave was one of my favourite albums of last year. Good that you liked The For Carnation too, which is the band of Brian McMahan from Slint. The album that track is from is a real classic. Loop were one of the first 'indie' bands I ever got into and Black Sun is one of their best tracks. Rather surprisingly John Wills, who was the drummer in Loop, is now one half of Pumajaw.