aberdeen-music

Spotify Recommendations Thread

framheim

• 2 weeks later...

Silje Nes – Opticks

Wonderful, dreamy pop from Norway. Lots of tinkles and pretty keys. Lush.

††† (Crosses) – EP ††

Sounds a bit like Deftones but nae quite. Its pretty atmospheric with lots of epic guitar lines and vocals. Good music to drive really fucking fast to.

Jesu – Lifeline - EP

I've got a feeling Jesu have been mentioned on this thread before. However there is no harm in posting it again cos its a good un'!

*Edit- after looking up crosses on le internet I've discovered they sound like deftones cos its chino singing. so aye its like the middle ground between deftones and team sleep*

• Upvote 1

Forgot how enjoyable the Please tracks on the Upset The Rhythm split release are. I'm incredibly bad at identifying genres, so according to their label, they're 'wayward psych-garage stomp', whereas last.fm have them as 'prog'. Okay.

They're the first four tracks here. I'm not entirely sold on Spin Spin The Dogs' stuff, but other people might be.

The Capstan Shafts – Kind Empires

This is excellent. Fuzzy, lo-fi (but not deliberately badly recorded!) pop songs. All the instruments were played by the same guy, Dean Wells. He's ridiculously prolific, releasing 10 EP's and 7 albums since 1999. This album is 14 songs in about ~25 minutes. If you're a fan of bands like Guided by Voices, Times New Viking etc, I think you will really, really like this. It's nothing revolutionary or particularly ground-breaking, but the guy clearly can write a damn good song. He appears to be more consistent than Robert Pollard as well!

• Upvote 1

Steven Page – Page One

The guy who left the Barenaked Ladies. I think this is his second album, but the first one had alot of covers and stuff on it. Not sure how it stands up if you don't like BNL, but I love them. This isn't as tongue-in-cheek. It's quite an ambitious pop record, but there's some belting pop song on it. The opening track is just huge. Theres a couple of weird r'n'b songs on it, like 'Entourage'. Skip that. Bad.

Athletic Mic League – Sweats And Kicks

Good hip hop. Really good samples and beats. Awesome laid back delivery.

People Under The Stairs – Or Stay Tuned...

More good hip-hop. J5 style feel-good rhymes about being good at rapping. Posi!

Chali 2na – Fish Market

Speaking of which, this guy was in J5. Instantly recognised as the 'guy with the deep voice'. I always liked him best. Good mixtape featuring loads of rappers.

Chali 2na – Fish Outta Water

This is proper debut album. A real departure from J5 production wise. Still a great listen.

Danger Mouse – Ghetto Pop Life

Love this guys delivery. Fantastic production. Everything about it is good.

Child Abuse – Cut and Run

Keys/bass/drums. Volcanic. When I listen to this, it feels like someone is standing on my brain. Kind of like later material by The Locust (Safety Second, Body Last/New Erections etc).

I said the exact same thing a few pages back about Zu. I'm glad the feeling of heaay music is mutual.

This is also good so far. YEAH!

I said the exact same thing a few pages back about Zu. I'm glad the feeling of heaay music is mutual.

This is also good so far. YEAH!

I thought you might have done. Zu are ridiculous. Gabe from The Locust is drumming for them now... in amongst playing with 1210928 other bands.

yeah, Hit and Run is a tremendous album. They're playing Glasgow on Friday April 6th. The line-up is mindbogglingly good.

http://www.facebook.com/events/148800878574226/

Tubelord – Night Of Pencils

Lots of different sounds here. Sorta At the drive in mixed with Rival Schools. Can't deny the early Biffy influences either. Well poppy in parts.

Rival Schools – Pedals

When Pedals came out I wasn't a huge fan of the album at all. Nowadays it's never out of the C.D player. Full of tunes. Not as good as United by Fate but then again not a lot is.

Lush – Scar

I bloody love shoegaze and one band that do it very well are Lush. Scarlet is my favourite track on this E.P (?) as the name suggests its LUSH! Lots of delay, verb and jangle guitars. Lovely stuff!

My Bloody Valentine – Loveless

I realised this morning I pre-ordered the long awaited remaster of this four years ago to the day! Mental.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre – Bravery Repetition & Noise

Lovely stuff from the BJM. Anton took the 60's approach to this album. Reverb, 3 to 4 chords, bendy solos and lots of tone. Stand outs include Open Heart Surgery and You have been disconnected.

• Upvote 1

Pedals is tip top. It's not far off United by Fate, which says alot. Great record.

Farewell Continental – ¡Hey, Hey Pioneers!

Good grief, this is just a bloody marvelous record. Duel girl/boy vocalled rocking indie/pop. They remind me of a bit more upbeat Bleed American-era Jimmy Eat World, but with a bit more going on. Capybara might just be the best song ever made. Actually, I knew I recognised one of the lead vocalists. I just looked them up, it's the chap from Motion City Soundtrack. Absolutely wonderful record. So good.

Red City Radio – The Dangers Of Standing Still

One of the better "gruff" punk records I've heard in a while. It's a slittle slick and overproduced for this sort of stuff, but the good songs shine through anyway. Great hooks and awesome duel vocal. Melodic, aggressive, posi. YEAH!

Iron Chic – Not Like This

More good gritty, gravelly punk rock from NY. One of them might have been in Latterman, I think. Ridiculous hooks.

Solea – Finally We Are Nowhere

Excellent indie rock with a bit of post-punk going on, featuring members of Texas is the Reason. Great rocking choruses.

Favez – From Lausanne, Switzerland

Bitchin' post hardcore/indie rock. Reminds me of latter day Jawbox, but a bit more straight forward.

Criteria – When We Break

Rocking. That's it, just rocking. Dunno how to describe this one. There's alot going on, and each song sounds so different. Some of it sounds like a 'harder' Weakerthans or Piebald, and some stuff is totally balls-out like Recover or something. Massive as fuck

Sleepercar – West Texas

Quintessentially 90's sounding alternative rock with a bit of country and bluegrass chucked in. You'll probably like it if you like Guided By Voices, Buffalo Tom, Sugar, Chamberlain etc. The singer is Jim Ward. You may remember him from such rock and roll acts as At The Drive In and Sparta. Sleepercar sound nothing like either of them. Get over it.

Open Hand – The Dream

First album, back when they were rocking as fuck. They went totally soft later on, with electronica and stuff. This album has some soft bits, but it's sandwiched between massive rock outs, riffs, awesome drumming. Sounds a bit like Far/Texas is the Reason mixed with a whole bunch of 90's post-hardcore.

Archers Of Loaf – Vee Vee (Deluxe Edition)

The Loafs often neglected 2nd album. It's awesome.

Screaming Trees – Clairvoyance

Sort of a mix of Dinosaur Jr, Joy Division, rock n roll and early R.E.M in places. There might be a steel drum solo in the song lonely girl but it might just be the quality.

Ride – Nowhere

According to Allmusic this is the 2nd greatest shoegaze album ever. I don't know if I agree but its bloody good. Feedback, hushed vocals and all that lovely goodness.

Lovesliescrushing – Chorus + 3

I sat out in my garden yesterday listening to this on my laptop. It's like the soundtrack to a telly programme about Mars or something. Cracking.

Lower Dens – Twin-Hand Movement

More laid back goodness. They sound like they were just a sterotypical indie band that discovered pot and Brian Eno. A winning combination for these lads.

• Upvote 1